Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 3:31 PM

hemlock
Skis At: Ness Lake BC, Canada
Foot Forward: Left

deep water start, sore back

Hello,

I've been skiing for over 20 years, (I'm 35 now) but recently have been getting sore lower back coming out of the water.
I wonder if its my technique, or is my back wearing out.  smile

My arms straight, knees bent, I'm a little ball with both feet in, and I get up no problem, but
it really strains my lower back.
Any tips to help with the back?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 4:14 PM

kstateskier

Re: deep water start, sore back

I've been slalom skiing in a back brace for a few seasons now. Seems to lessen the soreness...  Give it a shot, mine is just a velcro weight belt worn under my lifevest.

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#3 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 6:02 PM

snow1122

My chiro and personal trainer says........make sure to stretch after skiing or any other sport activity.

Snow

#4 Sat, Jul 24, 2010 2:50 AM

SteveDoc
Skis At: Sacramento Delta
Foot Forward: right

I also have back problems and that was what kept me from skiing in a course, so many pull ups, I've found that if you don't fight the boat and trying to lean back against the pull you will have less problems.
What I try to do is stay tucked in tight and as you get pulled up let the boat gradually pull your body forward and this should take some load off your back. It works great for me.

Hope this helps,
Steve

#5 Sat, Jul 24, 2010 10:23 PM

jclydejohnson
Foot Forward: Right

Some of the newer ski shapes are wider and much easier to get up on.  Last year went from HO CDX1 to a Goode 9800SL wideride.  Much easier to get up on, no water in the face, and no short wedges.

#6 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 7:14 AM

slam2ball
Foot Forward: RFF

the lower sore back actually comes from tight glutes. I watched a webcast from Marcus brown where his partner Jen explained the reason for it and a way of stretching it out. I took note as I start with 2 feet in and im not exactly light on my ski. after about 5 days of consent stretching the aches stopped. I will try and explain the stretch but your better of having a look at MB`s video.
if you sit cross legged then put one of your legs behind you, lean forward on the leg in front of you and feel the stretch.
worked for me...  good luck

#7 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 12:04 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I agree with tight Glutes and Hamstrings as the catalyst for an agrivated Lower Back. Infact, this can even happen to people who are sedentary. This may not be the only cause of your pain, but I'll bet properly stretching and adding some flexability in those specific area's will help out tremendously...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 2:52 PM

hemlock
Skis At: Ness Lake BC, Canada

slam2ball wrote:

the lower sore back actually comes from tight glutes. I watched a webcast from Marcus brown where his partner Jen explained the reason for it and a way of stretching it out. I took note as I start with 2 feet in and im not exactly light on my ski. after about 5 days of consent stretching the aches stopped. I will try and explain the stretch but your better of having a look at MB`s video.
if you sit cross legged then put one of your legs behind you, lean forward on the leg in front of you and feel the stretch.
worked for me...  good luck

Thanks, I will try some stretching.
Is this video available to watch somewhere?

#9 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 2:04 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

I suck my legs up very tight to my chest while coming out of the water.  I'm basically squatting on the ski but I come out of the water quicker this way.   This really helps me avoid the pain when my bad back flares up.

Aaron

#10 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 7:13 AM

slam2ball
Foot Forward: RFF

hey Hemlock

have a look at the following:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cox-and-brown    -  the video is on there somewhere,

or go straight to the source:
http://afitplace.com/
Jennifer LaBaw

what she doesn't know about bodys (skiers body's) you could write on a stamp!

#11 Fri, Jul 30, 2010 5:44 AM

Bullsey398

SteveDoc and Aslalomboy have it right.  Stay down on your ski with knees bent until you are on plane.  Don't try to stand up too soon.  When you do stand up, pull in with your arms to take some of the strain off your back.  The goal is to not put stress on your back while you are bent at the waist.

If you wear a thick vest, you can also bring your front knee up to your chest and let your chest press against your knee as you're being pulled up.  This transfers most of the stain on your leg and arms and very little on your back.

Board footer