Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 3:07 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Fuel Filter

How often do you replace your fuel filter?  I've had my boat for five years and try to do preventative maintenance, but that's something I've never bothered with.  Anyone have a recommendation for how often to change this? Also, are they marine specific fuel filters, or can I grab one at an auto parts store?

Thanks

Travis Ogden

#2 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 3:28 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Fuel Filter

every year I change my spin on filter.  some boats have a second in line fuel filter from tank to pump that wouldn't get changed as often.

with the quality of fuel nowadays & marine environment, its cheap insurance

there are marine specific filters, but I've used a number of different kinds.  Sierra or quicksilver brand are very popular.  I'm using a napa gold filter this season.  always use them for oil filters on my malibu.

what boat?

Last edited by Killer (Thu, Jul 22, 2010 3:32 PM)

#3 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 4:40 PM

tjo

It's a 1996, Centurion Sport Bowrider.  It is the screw on filter I was looking at last night when I changed the oil. Brand is Mercury, I believe.  Last question, since I've never done this before, can I just unscrew the old filter without disconnecting any fuel lines and closing off the flow? In other words, if I unscrew the old filter am I going to have fuel spewing in the bottom of the boat until I get the new one on? I would assume since the gas won't be under pressure the answer is no, but again, I'm new at this.

Thanks

Last edited by tjo (Thu, Jul 22, 2010 4:52 PM)

Travis Ogden

#4 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 5:19 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

I would suggest doing it on a cold & unprimed motor so the fuel pump hasnt pressurized.   Dont even turn the key to the on pos

If the boats been running good just replace with the same filter or equivilant.

When installing new filter fill it up 3/4 with fresh gas then screww on so the pump doeznt have to work as hard. Hand tight always
Cheers!

Last edited by Killer (Thu, Jul 22, 2010 5:20 PM)

#5 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 5:24 PM

tjo

+1

Thanks Killer!

Travis Ogden

Board footer