Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 9:56 AM

youngman

Best boat wake

This is my first post, hopefully there will be many more. Does anyone have an unbiased opinion on the best boat wake for running the course. Looking at updating to a Malibu or Nautique, not sure.

#2 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 10:53 AM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Best boat wake

It's all a matter of personal preference, but I think you'll find many prefer a CC.

Time to ski!

#3 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 11:38 AM

2gofaster

The Nautique 200's wake is absolutely the flattest.  But my pb is set behind the new Mastercraft. I like the pull of that of that boat better than I do the 200, I think.  Of the Big 3, the Malibue has the biggest wake IMO.

If you do get a Malibu, get one without the wedge. Even when it's not down and in the flow of water, it weighs about 100 lbs and hangs off the transom. Every Bu I've skied behind that had one had a really tall, hard wake.  Not soft at all.

Last edited by 2gofaster (Thu, Jul 22, 2010 11:40 AM)

Shane Hill

#4 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 1:46 PM

behindpropellers

For a budget slalom boat I would go for a supra comp ts6m.  If you do not barefoot they are a great economical slalom boat.

Tim

#5 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 2:24 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

so subjective, I think it depends on how you ski, what line length, what type of water, what type of boat you normally ski behind, etc.

brand new 2010 model the Nautique 200 at long line lengths has an incredibly easy and soft wake.  softest I've skied behind.

I find the mastercaft 197 to have the biggest wake & most pronounced wake.  I've skied older MCs and have felt the same about them as well.

I've never felt like the Malibu's had a larger wake, they have a better table for barefooting than the others and better curl.   This translates to a harder wake for slalom I've found & on my boat (99 malibu sportster) you can notice the difference in wake size and hardness when you load up the boat with people and/or fuel.  I generally run 10gal or so in the boat when skiing & have no problems going from that to Nautique 196s I ski behind regularly.

are you looking for new or used?

#6 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 2:30 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

What speed and line length do you ski and what is your budget?  All of the big 3 have had good years and bad years as far as used boats.  If you are looking at newer boats, it is very subjective.  The CC 196 has a bigger wake at 22 than the 197 and RLXI IMO.  At 22-28 the RLXI has a slightly deeper trough than the 197, but I really like them both.  At 32 and shorter, I can't tell a difference between any of them.  I ski them all regularly and recently the 197 seems to have the flattest wake at all line lengths.  I have not skied the 200 so i can't comment.  I ski at 34.2, so i don't know about the wake size at other speeds.

#7 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 2:36 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Moomba outback 05-and up.

#8 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 3:29 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

With the exception of having a bunch of chine spray at shortline, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the wakes of the '95 MC 197. In the last few years I've felt that the more important aspect of a ski boat is how the motor, prop, and speed control combine to pull the skier.

#9 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 3:50 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

HO410 wrote:

With the exception of having a bunch of chine spray at shortline, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the wakes of the '95 MC 197. In the last few years I've felt that the more important aspect of a ski boat is how the motor, prop, and speed control combine to pull the skier.

91-94 actually has the best wake.  In 95, MC improved the tracking, ride, and cut down on the spray, but it had a pretty decent sized 22 bump

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Thu, Jul 22, 2010 3:50 PM)

#10 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 4:19 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Oops, brain slipped there. I was thinking of the run between 91 and 94. Also, those boats are shockinly small compared to newer boats. The've got a great look though.

#11 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 10:45 PM

ScotChipman

I think the best slalom wake is the new 2010 Nautique 200. If you are looking at older boats I  think the Malibu Response LX (not the bigger LXi) has the best overall slalom wakes even at 22' off which is where many have a bump. You really can't go wrong with any of the big three that support water skiing (Nautique, Malibu, MasterCraft) going back many years except for the late 90's/early 2000's MasterCrafts, not sure of the exact years they had a few problems.

Scot Chipman

#12 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 12:28 AM

TWB

I agree with Scott.  The Malibu LX has one of the best wakes, even at 22 off, but the best wake in my opinion is the TSC1 hull SN 196.  It has a better wake at the longer line lengths, and the same if not better at 22 and 28 off.  Shorter than that, and even the MC 197 has a good wake.  big_smile

Disclosure:  I have a 1997 SN 196 as a family boat, and a 2008 196 as a club boat.  The 97 has a better wake.

#13 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 1:23 AM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

My self , i own a 89 Mastercraft. Had guys skiing up to 32 off , no complaints. Of course short line can also mean more dollars on a shortline boat. I think u ski behind what is in your price range, and if the wake is a little harder and lumpier, ski harder.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#14 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 10:10 AM

youngman

Thanks for all the feedback, alot to consider. I currently own a 17ft ski boat with outboard, great little ski  boat but inconsistent speed and not much room. Wanted to get a roomier boat for the family and not comprimise the wake too much. Am from Australia so Malibus are more common here, due to finances might keep an eye out for a second hand Malibu response. Better go buy a new wetsuit water is about 14 degrees celcius (57 farenhiet) at the moment, very cold but keen to ski.

#15 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 1:10 PM

Lt Dan

Note, if you go for a Response LX try to find one that is on the SV23 "Diamond" hull.  That wake is much softer (at least at the 15 - 22 off lenghts that I ski at) than the plain SV23.  They made the change in the 1998 model year.

Last edited by Lt Dan (Fri, Jul 23, 2010 1:19 PM)

Struggling yet still smiling

#16 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 1:42 PM

BrianM
Skis At: the cottage

Another thumbs up for the Malibu RLX.  I have an LXi and skied behind an LX earlier this year on my way to put my boat in the water.  The LX does have a better, softer wake (even for tricking too).

Last edited by BrianM (Fri, Jul 23, 2010 1:43 PM)

#17 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 3:36 PM

hemlock
Skis At: Ness Lake BC, Canada

youngman wrote:

This is my first post, hopefully there will be many more. Does anyone have an unbiased opinion on the best boat wake for running the course. Looking at updating to a Malibu or Nautique, not sure.

Like the others mentioned, the big 3 (malibu, CC, MC) will give you the best possible wakes.
But most importantly, look closely at 3 event boats. Their hulls were designed for the course.

Cheers,
Mike

#18 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 3:52 PM

thompjs

Shane, keep dissing Malibu and you may never get your handle back.

I noticed a bunch of good skiers jumping the wake at 28off on the new SN 200.  I don't notice any bump, but it seemed like skiers who could start rolling edges right on the wake were getting a kick.  Of the three boats in tournaments now, I have no complaints.

The whole Wedge setup is lot lighter than a full tank of gas.  Adding some weight in the bow seems to help tracking and the wakes to me.

#19 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 7:26 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

'95 Malibu Response or maybe I'm just a little biased! Ha Ha

#20 Sat, Jul 24, 2010 3:53 PM

kpickett

94 Mastercraft has the best wake, hands down.

#21 Sat, Jul 24, 2010 5:34 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec

I go back & forth between two of the top three brands on weekly basis - and drove/skied several 2010 examples of each over the last year - for me, the biggest consideration would be which boat tracks the best and is easiest to drive in the course. I think there is a huge difference in the yaw/roll between the manufctures when a skier loads up off the buoys - I won't name names, but one is much easier to drive for me.

I haven't noticed the difference in the wakes - from the 1999 SN150 that I own to the two new club boats, the wake seems small and soft on all of them. For me, getting my ski advancing forward through the wakes is the key to not getting bounced at all - this is same regardless of boat.

#22 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 4:14 AM

Whiteout01
Skis At: Private Site
Foot Forward: LF

I considered myself a Die Hard MasterCraft guy from 76-99.  I say Die Hard but I'm not a blind brand loyal type of guy, I believe in testing all competitors back to back and if all things are equal then I'll go with the incumbent.  In 2000 I decided to replace my 84 MC, my wife and I skied the MC, Malibu, and Nautique boats back to back, all 19 foot AWSA ski boats.  I typically ski 22-35off @ 34MPH and my wife skis 15-22off @ 27-32MPH.  We only Slalom ski so it really depends if you’re using it for other stuff or not. In 2000 the Ski Nautique was clearly had the softest and smallest wake at my wife’s speeds and where better at mine speeds and lengths too.  I also found the construction as good as the Mastercraft and significantly better then the Malibu.  My ski buddy had a 97 Malibu and bought a Nautique mid summer because we never skied behind his Malibu after skiing behind mine.  In 2003 we did the same test and ended up with another 196 Nautique.  They have been very reliable (700 hours) with the exception of the Faria (SP?) gage controller failure on his 2003.  I have skied behind new MC 197 at slalom clinics the last four years and there wake is still signgicatly bigger and harder then the Nautique.  I can't say much about Malibu because I have not skied behind them in the last 6 years.   I suggest just go to your local dealer and test them back to back it really easy to see the differences.  Good Luck & I hope this helps.

#23 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 1:04 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Everything is a trade off... Best slalom wake or best barefoot or trick wake? Regardless of which Boat had the optimum wake for a "particular skier," it simply would not be the hands down best across the board for everyone. Even if everyone across the board all did the exact same thing and had the exact same needs or purposes, people our individuals...

IMO, Every boat has it's pro's & con's. For me and my family at this particular time, (or season of life) we had to consider 1st our budget, then look @ our specific and general needs. This ultimately lead us to the Malibu Lxi. For us, the Lxi offered a walk thru open bow which was an absolute neccessity for seating and convenience when Not in the course and the wedge option which really completes the "all around" package when not in the course. (only Malibu offers this...) We were able to find one in our price range and we couldn't be happier with the over all perfornance and opportunities across the board. It's not a "Great" wake board boat, but it does work o.k.... The slalom wake is by far good enuf for any serious skier and as a skier, I don't see any difference in the wake of closed bow Rlx, the m/c's or our Lxi. (at least not enuf to mention, worry about or need to consider if shopping...)

New or Used?

How much $$$ do ya got?

What do you want or need out of the boat? 3 event, slalom only, gen. purpose family use?

Is Z/O a must or will P/P be O.K.?

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Mon, Jul 26, 2010 6:48 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#24 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 5:26 PM

chrispenner

There was a great article in waterski mag. Not the current one that is out now, but the one before that had a great write up about older slalom boats. If you are looking at something used. Nautique 1997 or newer are awesome. They have the "bubble back". You can get one of those with 500 hours or less for under 15K no problem. Malibu Response LX (Semi Open Bow) 1996-2003ish. They where get super soft wakes as soon as you get shorter then 22' off. It also talks about supera's, mastercrafts and a couple others. Good years to look for and average price ranger. Great article. I just found it read it here: http://waterskimag.com/features/2010/06 … ski-boats/ this should help you make a some what better choice.

Oh if you are looking at doing some barefooting I would tend to look at a Malibu Res, best all-around ski boat you can buy, especially since in those years there where a few motor options which included the hammerhead which varied in HP (365-400HP) depending on year. They extra pony's for footing are well worth it. A few people mentioned about the wedge, which is all fine and dandy, when shopping though try to find one with at least the mounting plate for one so if you long line barefoot you can attach the barefoot plate to it (malibu makes on to fit the wedge mounting plate called the Scarpa Supression Plate aka SSP designed by Ron Scarpa him self) Just a heads if you foot long line.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
CP

#25 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 5:32 PM

ScotChipman

Is the 1997-2003 MB Sports Boss 190 the same hull as the 1992-1995 MC Prostar 190???? I thought I heard this many years ago but I could be wrong.

Scot Chipman

Board footer