Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 12:18 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

A Mid Summer's Slump

Every year in mid July it seems that I go through a slump. (wife also; I think she copies me) The temps are warming up, maybe a little tired from skiing, whatever the case may be it seems that I go for a couple of weeks where I am more or less just going through the motions,  it really gets quite frustrating.

Anyone else feel this way?  If so how do you approach it?  This is the time when I usually start fiddling with the fin, etc.  Which I would rather have some technical focus to pull me through, than mechanical.

Thanks for any input.

Todd

#2 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 12:29 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: A Mid Summer's Slump

Get a lesson would be my first suggestion... there's a discount for powerusers and a satisfaction guarantee... it's hard to say without really getting in depth with your personal situation.

What can yo u learn from your ski log analytics? How do your peaks and valleys look? Look back on the times that your performances are steadily increasing... click and drag over the chart to zoom in and then click on specific sets to learn what you were thining during those sets (if you've been good about your ski log and recording comments with your log).

Other than that, the warmer waters will make for a little bit harder skiing on the body than the colder ones. The essential difference is that your ski rides deeper in the water.

Stay positive!

Taking a few days off can definitely be a good thing, too. Back in April in May I was skiing more than I am now... I'm skiing less frequently but better at this time of the summer.

#3 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 12:30 AM

ToddF

I am going to add to this. rt foot forward, off side turns (1,3,5 right?) ski doesn't feel like it is turning as tight, I feel like I am getting pulled off edge at the finish of the turn.  Thus losing my angle and everything else.

On side (2,4,6) still feel fine or the same.

So I wonder if it was turning better before because I was able to muscle through it and now I am skiing less aggressive(physical) and bad technique/setup is finally winning the battle.

Thanks again

Todd

#4 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 12:33 AM

ToddF

Thanks Wade, I didn't see your response before I added mine.

I have thought about the coaching a lot actually.  I just bought a flip camera so we could video, I just need to get one of my kids to actually keep me in the screen.  Hopefully that will be soon.

#5 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 3:23 AM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

It's funny that you bring this up, because i am skiing like crap right now, and your explanation is exactly what I am feeling.  Our water in MN goes from cold, clear and fast in spring to warm and slow in mid-summer and my skiing gets bad for a while.  I have been messing with boot placement and fin settings but have yet to dial it in.  In fact, I had my worst tournament scores ever 2 weeks ago in warm slow water.  I have a lesson set up in a few weeks and I need it badly because everything feels wrong.

#6 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 4:39 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Todd, the next time you go out try to spot the next buoy once you know you've cleared the ball.
Just the eyes and head though, you don't want to be turning your entire body to find the buoy.

I thought my 1,3,5, turns were too sluggish, turns out that I have been overturning for the last
few weeks. Because I'm not nearly as leveraged at 1,3,5 as I am at 2,4,6, I don't have enough
to hold on making me too fast and narrow to make a coherent pass.. I don't know why, other than
the old maxim that you go where your eyes go, but spotting the next buoy helps me to make better turns..

#7 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 2:12 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

Please keep this going, I am experiencing the same "slump", for a couple weeks now. Am planning to take the next 10 days off and not even get behind the boat. Sorry to hear others going through it also, but feel better that I am not the only one...It's wierd..just don't "feel" it any more...Here's hoping everybody get through it....Joe

#8 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 2:42 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

Joe 10 days is a lot I find between sets if u can help it sgorten that break up a bit.  I find 3-5 days a good rest period after that my muscle memory starts weakening.   

I havent had my slump  yet but have in past yrs as well. I havent skied as much so far this yr though

Going to try and get some video this wknd for coaching too

#9 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 4:07 PM

ToddF

I wonder if during this time it is better to really focus on one part of your skiing.  Still ski but go back to one crucial element for a couple of weeks?

I just ordered a new ski, hasn't gotten here yet it has been ten days and counting  I was told it was shipped but I haven't gotten a confirmation of shipping yet.  Of course a new ski every year isn't in my budget or plans.  But hopefully it will get some excitement going again.

Is it better to jump on a new ski when you are skiing good?  Or skiing Bad?

#10 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 4:22 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

Killer, it comes at a good time, we are going on vacation. In fact, coming to Canada...guess I'm gonna take a break from skiing, the heat, humidity..just a good break...have been skiing an awful lot, sometimes a break like this is just what the doctor ordered..

Board footer