Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jul 15, 2010 5:30 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

New Ski Suggestions

I am 6' 185lbs and ski 34mph.  I can get through 22 and am hoping to get 28 this summer.  I am currently on a 2007 67 Connely F1 with Double Drafts.

I am thinking of switching skis and am debating between Radar Strada, D3 Z7. 

My real question isn't necessarily which of these skis but is my ego and desire for the new and best taking over for where I should really be looking.  I have read great things about the Senate C and HO S1 and am wondering if this is really where I should be looking.  My brother skis similar to how I do and loves the A1 and the Strada is marketed as being able to be used for my skill level to Rossi's and I have another friend who is similar to me on a Z7 and loves it.  Will something like the Senate make me better than being on a Strada or is it simply at my skill level I won't notice a difference and will cost me 30% less.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#2 Thu, Jul 15, 2010 5:52 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: New Ski Suggestions

I think you're probably in, if not a little past, a good place to choose whatever ski you want. It's usually when you get a 28mph skier that is asking between a 9900 and an Elite that I would want to pump the brakes. You never do know, you may like the Senate C: that ski has a pretty wide range of performance and has a suprisingly high performance ceiling.

You are a really good candidate to take advantage of the kind of ride before you buy program that H2osmosis offers.

#3 Thu, Jul 15, 2010 7:11 PM

tjo

Ryan,

I was in your shoes two years ago and was skiing a System 8 at the time.  I purchased a 2008 RCX after demo'ing it and falling in love with it.  Purchased it in the fall of 2008 (skiing at 22 off at the time), and now I ski into 32 off frequently and had my first attempt at 35 off last weekend.  Point is, going with a top end ski has been a really good thing for me.  If I were in your position I would go with one of those top tier skis that you are looking at.  If you don't, you will eventually wonder if the ski is holding you back (at least I would).  I'd go with a demo or go used to save a bit of cash, but stick with the best technology available.

Travis Ogden

#4 Thu, Jul 15, 2010 7:21 PM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can
Foot Forward: Left

I am about the same size as you, 6' 165lbs. I skied a 67in HO S1 with double Exo boots. The ski felt amazing. I also ski at the same speed, 34mph 22 off. I only was able to take about 6 passes with it. Overall it felt very good under my feet. Very quick smooth and stable. The new EXO boots felt great too. Very very quick response. I highly recommend skiing that set up. I have not been on the Strada or anything else of that area of skis, no money no time lol.

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#5 Thu, Jul 15, 2010 8:32 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Thanks for the input.  Now to figure out the configuration and what bindings to go with.  So many good choices these days it is difficult to choose.

#6 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 1:35 AM

TWB

I don't think you can go wrong with a D3 or a Radar.  I had an X5 and am currently on a Nomad RCX.  I broke the X5 and went to an RCX but I couldn't tell much of a difference.  You can get on either of these and feel comfortable off the dock.  Last year, I demoed a Senate C and an RS-1.  I felt comfortable on both of them right away.  I was running 28 off on both of these by the second set.  At that time, I'd only run 32 off twice.  I've been running 32 off more consistently this year.  The D3's are more forgiving, but I'm used to skiing on them.  On both the Radars, I was more wide and early to the ball than even the RCX that I'm used too,  but the tip bites if you get to much weight forward.  I heard they corrected that with the Strada.  I'd like to demo one myself.

#7 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 3:17 AM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

If you want to spend the money, buy a Strada.  I have yet to hear of anyone that has skied it that didn't like it.  If you aren't in a hurry, wait until the 2011 Senate comes out.  It will be based on the strada, but slightly wider.

#8 Mon, Jul 19, 2010 1:37 PM

tzorn

Hello Ryan,

My son and I made very similar switches to what you're looking at this season.  He went from a F1X (perhaps an 06') with Drafts to an 09' Annex (based on RS1) with Enzo bindings and it has worked out real well for him, and the switch was a smooth one.  I went from a Triumph (w/ double Wileys) to an A1 (also with double Wileys, but a little stiffer wrap), and am very pleased.  We both stayed with very similar binding to what we already skied and were satisfied with, and I think that helped with the transition, allowing us to focus on the change in speed and angle the new skis are delivering.  We demo'd a few, as there are lots of great skis out there, so I'd demo if you can.  There are often nice  deals on ski-it-again.com too if you know what you're after.  Good luck!

#9 Tue, Jul 20, 2010 7:39 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Ryan,
This spring i went from a 2007 67 D3 RC to a 66 STRADA i ski 34 mph 5 9" weigh 175 skiing -28 -32.
This is my two cents. The strada is a much faster  ski yet still turns easy. Nothing that i have skied thus far turns as consistent and easy as the D3 RC i was on. So switching has improved my skiing greatly not from a bouy count stand point but rather a correct efficent technique standpoint. Bouy count is improving and what is really cool is i am starting to figure out an early edge change on the strada due to more speed generated sooner off the turn. Love the STRADA. Hope that helps.
MC

#10 Tue, Jul 20, 2010 8:17 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

I will try to demo the Strada and D3 and see which one I like. 

Thanks for the help.

Board footer