Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:32 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Sharing inexpensive handle guard.

This is an inexpensive way to stop a head from going through a handle.

I thought I would share what I saw someone else do at Trophy Lakes with duct tape.

I used a different tape as shown in picture.

I do NOT think this would remove all chances of a broken hand or arm, but I think it would reduce them.

I'm pretty sure it would eliminate a head from going through.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/6212_tape_h.gif

Last edited by BudMan (Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:33 PM)

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#2 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 2:01 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Sharing inexpensive handle guard.

A few years back I posted a picture of friends efforts with duct tape. In context the post was a joke, but I removed the picture from my host when the picture was used out of context on another forum (of course that bugger loaded it onto his own photo host).

That should do what you think it will, but I agree with TW when he decided that cloth was not the ideal material for a handle guard.

#3 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 3:28 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

I don't know the longevity of this fiber tape, but I know I can not tear it right now.(Being new)

What drawbacks did TW mention before about cloth?

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#4 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 3:55 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

The flexibility of the cloth creates the possibility that it would funnel your hand through the opening. That possibility is greatly reduced with the panel is more rigid.

I originally order my Arm-Guards because a fairly significant portion of the purchase price was going to the Tyler Yager (I'm sure I'm spelling this wrong) college fund. But the more I look at the Arm-Guard, and the more I look at other options, the more I am convinced that it is the best available option.

#5 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 5:21 PM

Thomas Wayne

BudMan wrote:

[...]

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for asking. As the inventor of the patent-pending ARM-GUARD™ I have compiled a great deal of research and conducted many experiments over the last 7 years on the subject. You are not the first to try a cheap tape solution - in fact its been done many times that I'm aware of. It will probably prevent most possible neck injuries, but here are some of the main problems with the idea:

1) There is no release factor. Fiber-reinforced tape (duct tape, gaffers tape, etc.) doubled over and stuck to itself is very strong. If you unintentionally stick your hand or arm into that opening during a fall you stand a good chance of being trapped, and there's no way that tape is going break before you suffer a serious injury.

2) The panel created by the tape is far too flexible when the bridle is not under tension, allowing it to easily fold into a funnel-like chute if your hand hits it during a fall - possibly guiding your arm into a much more dangerous position.

3) At least one fatal accident we know of did not involve the skier's head fully entering the bridle opening; rather, his face apparently entered and his chin caught on the crossbar, breaking his neck with a sort of extreme whiplash effect. Any panel flexible enough to allow your chin to catch on the crossbar - because the rest of your face won't push the bridle away - runs this risk, however unlikely as that may be.

Because of the above facts, a home-made tape panel may actually be more dangerous than using nothing at all. Additionally, this is why we rejected fabric, netting, or very flexible plastic when finalizing our ARM-GUARD™. The Lexan panel we use will not flex in the dangerous manner warned about above, and the specifically engineered zip-ties can break away easily when necessary.

TW
(PS: One final objection to the home-made-tape-guard idea is that it makes you look like a cheapskate (in my opinion); that, however, may not be something you care about as much as I do.)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Generation3-5.jpg

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Mon, Jul 12, 2010 5:23 PM)

Board footer