Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 4:12 AM

db440

Suggestions?

Offside deff needs some help!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs060.snc4/35356_1513123033446_1395514523_1387834_1681062_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs039.snc4/34297_1513120953394_1395514523_1387832_7716367_n.jpg

#2 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 11:58 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Suggestions?

db440, -what our u wanting "suggestions" on?

p.s. what is deff? (maybe it's just Monday morn, and I'm still not awake!)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:06 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

I think you might want to work on your foundation. (Body position and weight evenly distributed on ski)

When you first surface get in form and keep it there. Then start making small cuts while staying on either side of the wake.

Then make narrow cuts crossing the wake progressively getting as wide as a slalom course.

During the whole time keep good form and balance on ski.

Both of your pictures make it appear that your are some what bent out of form and weighting the back of the ski.

You have done well taking pictures, now you need to watch some videos of others and see the correct body position.

Continue taking pictures and videos and compare.

Post some more later; I will be eager to see your progress.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#4 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 3:46 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

What line length and boat speed are you skiing?

It looks like you are turning just outside of the widewash of the wakes? If this is the case, you are likely not getting free of the boat. It's really hard to turn, no matter the state of your technique, when the boat is always on you. If you are confident it your cut both directions, try to ride it clear through the second wakes. This will help you get a little bit faster than the boat so that you have the time and freedom to let the ski turn.

If you don't feel confident it your cut both directions I would highly reccomend the whip drill: http://waterskitips.h2osmosis.com/?s=whip+drill

#5 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 4:11 PM

db440

Thanks guys! I am mainly looking for critique on my form and posture. Im skiing behind a MasterCraft prostar 205 at 15 off 32mph. Just dont like the wake on a full line. I feel HO that you are right, im not breaking free from the boat.. Just recently i have been cutting through the wake. This is most likely the reason i am having trouble dropping an arm. Budman how should i avoid weighting back on the ski? Should i move my hips forward? I guess this i what im looking to find out from these pictures.
Thanks db

P.S.-"Deff" is otherwise known as Definitely big_smile

#6 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 4:59 PM

BudMan

I would suggest you do a dry land experiment.

Stand in front of a mirror
Put one foot in front of the other as if you are skiing
bend your ankles forward as you knees go forward
keep your hips up and shoulders back
keep your weight across the front of your feet (toes and ball)
act as if you are hitting some rollers while using your ankles to push your knees forward and down.

Now see what your picture position feels like.

With your ankles straight or slightly bent BACK
slightly squat as if you were going to sit down
slightly weight your heels
act as if you are hitting some rollers while sitting more and less with weight on heels.

Do you see the differents?

If possible, look at some pro skiers while pulling on a ski handle. Dry land workouts can help you ski better.

Develop good muscle memory.

If you are in my area DB, come by for a free lesson.

#7 Tue, Jul 13, 2010 9:50 PM

db440

That makes more sense Budman and unfortunately I live in New York!  I will hopefully make it out this week and see my progress and post my new pictures THANKS

#8 Wed, Jul 14, 2010 12:16 AM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can

One little thing that I noticed db is that your head and eyes are looking down. I am somewhat struggling with this same thing right now so I have been on here too asking for advice. But as many have told me and I have read in Waterski Mag and such your eyes should not be down or cross course. They should be directed at the back of the boat/pylon. This will help you get into a more balanced stance on your ski and you should fee more strong on your ski through your cut to the wakes.

As I have learned in other sports and just messing around on trampolines, your body will follow your head so if you are looking down your body will follow and you will not be in or able to be in the strongest position possible.

Edit: Having your head in this position should square up your shoulders to the boat which should help your form too.

I hope that makes sense and helps!

Last edited by Andrew1988 (Wed, Jul 14, 2010 12:18 AM)

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#9 Wed, Jul 14, 2010 1:39 AM

db440

yeah that makes sense, i did notice that in my picture too...it almost looks as if i am crouched up! I just hope i remember all of this when i ski this week!! lol

#10 Wed, Jul 14, 2010 2:21 AM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can

Write down the key points you want to work on in a notepad. I wouldn't write down to much or try to work on too much at once though. Take things one step at a time.

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#11 Mon, Jul 19, 2010 1:06 AM

db440

went out last fri. i noticed by looking at the boat that my cuts were much more fluid. and budman i tried your suggestions and felt that they helped a lot, i unfortunately did not to get to take any pictures but i am going out tomorrow and hope to get some.

#12 Mon, Jul 19, 2010 1:40 AM

BudMan

I'm happy they helped db440. I look forward to seeing your improvement in the next pictures.

Board footer