Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 2:04 PM

Lt Dan
Foot Forward: Right

I'm struggling being patient in my turns...suggestions?

I'm 51 years old, 6' and 185 lbs.  This year I'm skiing on a 68" MPD with RS-1 bindings.  I've slalomed since I was 12 but only have had access to a slalom course for the past couple of years.  I've not progressed much and am getting frustrated.  I am only being consistent at 15 off, 32 mph.  I've made some 34 mph passes but mostly I am stuck at 4 balls.

I skied last night and in two sets of 6 passes, I think I only really finished one turn where I got the kind of slingshot acceleration before the wakes that I should be getting all the time.  And, I am working way too hard.  I've been told that I need to be more patient with my turns and to let the ski come all the way around.  I guess that I am setting up to "pull" far too soon which is leading to the lack of angle and acceleration that I need in order to progress.

I really want to progress!  Short of going to ski school (which I am this close to doing today), do you have any suggestions for what to think about or do in the course which will allow me to let the ski finish properly?

Thanks,

Lieutenant Dan

Struggling yet still smiling

#2 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 2:13 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Re: I'm struggling being patient in my turns...suggestions?

Try moving your fin forward.  You probably should be on a 67" ski, so by moving the fin forward  it should help the ski turn easier.  Try moving it .05" first and try it.  Then go more if you have to.  Also, try skiing without the wing.

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Thu, Jul 8, 2010 2:14 PM)

#3 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 2:40 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Spend some money on having a coach watch your skiing. The video coaching is a very good alternative to hauling your butt over to a ski school.

Next time you go skiing, pay some attention to where your eyes are looking between the time you initate the turn and when you hook up with the handle. If you are staring down the buoy, you'll want to raise your eye level a bit. One of the things I've found useful is to visually (don't be turning your body to do this) pick up the next buoy once I know I've cleared the current buoy. I know I've read something like this from Chris I just cannot remember where.

Also, if you haven't had a chance to read some of the Rossi slalom article, do. There is some good food for thought there. http://www.proskicoach.com/slalom_artic … ossi_2009/

#4 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 2:54 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

the ski could be holding you back a bit.  a 67 is likely a better size, but borderline, esspecially at 32mph.

as has been suggested, try adding DFT (fin forward). 

soft knees, and some extra weight on your front foot should help.  hard to start without seeing you ski...

#5 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 3:38 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

Try posting a video for feed back. I think that would be helpful.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#6 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 7:52 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

Lt Dan wrote:

I've been told that I need to be more patient with my turns and to let the ski come all the way around..

Story of my life man!! hahaha i'm very impatient with my turns... i just wanna go!! MY problem and this might be your's too.. or at least give you something to think about.. When i cross the second wake after my gate pull out.. (or really any carve) i have a tendency to immediatly let go of my out side handle and allow the ski to switch edges too soon. then to correct my error i would try to slide across the water and direct the ski past a bouy/the apex of my turn and manutaly turn the ski so i could then lock into my edge to cross the wake... I know.. it's kinda wrong and make me put tooo much effort in my skiing. What i've been working on and it has really helped with my turns and rhythem is after crossing the second wake of the boat i will hold on with both hands longer, thus keeping the edge i created (without pulling on the rope to make it edge more, but just holding the ski stedy) i try to hold it about a second longer.. doesnt sound like much  i know.. but in slalom, i'm sure you know.. its a hell of a lot more time! By holding that edge longer it allows the ski to ski more freely, and will feel like its more of a ride when it turns rather than you trying to turn it by your self. and when you actually turn, remember to keep your ankles and knees propelling forward, keeping your shoulders open and in the right alignment. and when i actually turn i like to pretend rather than just skiing around a bouy, i'm skiing around my handle. it gives me a nice point of where i want to turn, where i want to come out of my turn, and also, where i need to direct the ski so i can go do the same thing on the other side.. only faster!! big_smile also, it helps me feel my turn better and make me ski smoothly out of it with out much slack and pain.

anyway, just my to sense. hope it helps! if you have any questions lemme know.

-plotz

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#7 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 8:37 PM

Lt Dan

jamisonsbrodie wrote:

You probably should be on a 67" ski...

I really debated whether to pick up a 68 or 67 and stayed with a 68 because I was a few pounds heavier when I bought it and John Horton at Ballofspray recommended a 68 (even when he had a 67 that he could have sold me).

I would believe that maybe, with good technique, the 68 might hold me back from real short-line progress but feel that I truly need a good technique overhaul for being able to progress from where I am at.  I know that there is a lot of potential in this ski that I am not capitalizing on, i.e. reference what I said in my original post about having that ONE turn in two sets where the thing literally catapulted me across the wakes with little effort.  It was so unexpected and the cross-wake speed generated so intense that I freaked out and lost my head and let go of the rope. 

It's weird, but I think that the reason I got such good angle was the I RELAXED in the turn a whole bunch more than usual.  Is this a key or did I just have a late 60's - early 70's drug flashback?

I may try the DFT thing just to see if it helps.  Also, might I also have my bindings too far back?  I used the "nominal" position on the Radar Sequence plate.

#8 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 9:19 PM

jamisonsbrodie

Lt Dan wrote:

I may try the DFT thing just to see if it helps.  Also, might I also have my bindings too far back?  I used the "nominal" position on the Radar Sequence plate.

Yes, move your plate forward one hole, unless you are already heavy on the nose and prone to OTFs.  the ski will turn easier with boots forward and fin forward.

#9 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 12:50 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Just for kicks, the next time that your out, try -22 after 2-3 passes of -15 and see what happens. -15 is a tougher Bungee length to ski, especially if you rush the finish of your turns. I know, because whenever I ski -15 I have trouble toning down my tempo. ( -22 is always easier for me...)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 1:00 PM

Lt Dan

Thaks for all of the suggestions.  I am going to try to get some video this weekend for analysis. 

I also read all of the Chris Rossi articles.  I have a question about the "power triangle" concept.  Perhaps I should start a new topic but I'll fire away here first...

With regards to getting the Power Triangle connected and the concept of skiing to the handle...do you leave the reaching arm out and ski the hip and trailing hand to the handle, or. do you retract the reaching arm to the hip and trailing arm?

#11 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 2:23 PM

jamisonsbrodie

Ideally, ski to the handle.  It is easier said than done however.

#12 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 2:28 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

ski to handle. smile and that's what i meant in my earlier post where i said ski around the handle. cuz, to me, its kind of like that motion. you want the ski to ski out and around then come back into that power triangle

-plotz

i swear this site is turning into my home...

Board footer