Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jul 6, 2010 8:28 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Ski Nautique 206 Wake

I'm considering a Nautique 206.  Does anyone have any experience in the course behind this boat? I've got a family with young kids, so I need the open bow and extra space that the 206 would provide, but I'm not willing to sacrifice on the slalom wake front too much by going with something like the 216.  I've done some research on the Malibu and Nautique forums (comparing the 206 and the response lxi), but the opinions on both sites are somewhat predictable. Hoping for a more unbiased opinion on this site. 

Also, most of my boating is done in large public lakes, so if you have any experience with the 206 or Response LXI in rough water, I'd appreciate that feedback as well. 

Thanks!

Travis Ogden

#2 Tue, Jul 6, 2010 9:38 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Ski Nautique 206 Wake

I have an '08 back home in NC and it is the truth! Imperceptible difference from the 196 wake assuming you have the boat evenly weighted. I found a lead head that I moved around the middle of the boat evened things out for me when I didn't have observers in the boat. This boat is exclusively used on Lake Norman just north of Charlotte, NC and if you know the size of this lake then you understand the rough water aspect. As a die hard skier I am always looking for calm water but the 206 got me there nicely and does fine with good driving in rougher conditions. Boat before that was a 2002 Malibu Response LXI. Awesome boat but having spent a lot of time behind and driving both the Nautique wins hands down.

#3 Tue, Jul 6, 2010 9:50 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

I've skied both, although not a 206 for some years.  The one I did ski was the wakeboard edition 206 with factory tower and ballast.

they are both great boats & I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

if I were a skier first I would choose the LXi, the wakes at -15 and -22off are nicer IMO, actually I like the wakes of the LXi to the 196 at those line lengths as well, a bit harder, but smaller rooster tail.

if you have some wakeboarders they may like the 206 better & I think Nautique is overall a nicer, better made boat & I own an older Malibu.   for me it would likely come down to price, condition, etc.

the 206 is a bigger boat than the LXi & not as low slung so it is likely going to handle a little better in the chop, but no experience there.

tough decision you have!

#4 Tue, Jul 6, 2010 11:54 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I chose the Lxi and Love the quick change "Wedge" option for all around use. Ballast's are too time consuming and waste a lot of fuel. (can also exceed the wgt. limit of the boat w/o a full crew...) The Bow can get a bit hvy. and low with 2-3 people up front and the swamp factor gets very High when circling back through the wakes to the person in the water!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Wed, Jul 7, 2010 1:36 PM

tru-jack

have a 2007 lxi, very nice ski wake and I'm on big water with 2 little girls who like to ride up front.  it has been a great ski and pleasure boat.  also have wedge for the guests that wakeboard, but mostly slalom course mornings, then family cruise and play at party cove at local island.  I noticed that Todd R in edged in water 2 has one and it caught my eye as I have 2 little girls about the age of his, so if it's good enough for the editor it's good enough for me.

#6 Wed, Jul 7, 2010 2:43 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!  It's very helpful.  Sounds like I won't go wrong with either of those options, so as Killer stated, it's probably going to come down to price, condition, hours, etc...

Travis Ogden

#7 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 1:55 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

The 07+ Response LXI is better in rough water and for families than the 03-06 LXI.  Malibu gave it more freeboard and made the bow sit up higher so it is much less prone to taking on bow rollers.  The Response has more room than the 206 as well as it is slightly wider and has a much better observers seat with the option of having the jump seat in the walkway or open.  I would say the 206 has tighter handling and a slightly larger bump at 22, but its close.

FWIW, the 206 was not popular at the tournaments.

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Thu, Jul 8, 2010 1:57 PM)

#8 Sat, Aug 7, 2010 11:28 PM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio

there are several threads on this topic (wake of 206 vs. 196 vs. others) on planetnautique.com

Time to ski!

Board footer