Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 1:24 PM

JoelRathbun

RTP to Double Boots

How much time to you have to try double boots before knowing if they suit your style more than a RTP?

- Been skiing for a little over a year on an animal front and a RTP.
- Currently can get through the course at 28mph, 15off.
- Thinking about making the switch to hard shells and though I should to give double boots a try to see if double hard shells is what I should be thinking about.   While i"m still a relative novice, was thinking about hard shells for both performance and comfort.  My foot cramps in the rubber boots.
- After two weekend and around 20 sets my skiing is still way behind where it was.  Can't get any angle on my offside to save my life.  Had a few huge OTF crashes going over the wakes.
- Big issue for me seems to be getting enough counter-rotation.  I don't have a lot of flexibility in my ankles and one hypotheses is of mine is that the RTP allows my rear ankle to lift to help me get my hips in the right position and my weight balanced over the ski.

So, do you think I should keep at it for a few more weekends to see if I get used to the doubles or just stick with a RTP?

#2 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 2:08 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: RTP to Double Boots

The above is usually the reasoning when skiers explain why they will not or cannot switch to a double boot.

But also, what is your ski and what are your settings? I've seen Rossi suggest that toe plate skiers should move the boots up and increase dft and fin lenght. It's possible that your fin is too short.

#3 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 2:46 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Try leaving the rear boot somewhat loose.  For me, I tighten the front boot more than the rear.  Just snug up the rear enough  so that your foot isn't sloppy in the boot, but loose enough so your heal can move a little.  The radar boots are great from a comfort and performance standpoint.  I have approaches and my front foot cramps after 4 or 5 passes.  I will be switching to the Strada boot next near.

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Mon, Jun 28, 2010 2:47 PM)

#4 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 3:20 PM

JoelRathbun

I'm on a Radar Theory 67", bindings in the middle hole (good reminder to actually measure them) and no wing on the fin.

#5 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 3:23 PM

JoelRathbun

Also going to try out this video coaching, but after taking a step backwards, thought I would try out the video once my skiing catches up to where it was (hopefully in a couple of weekends).

#6 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 4:18 PM

jamisonsbrodie

Do you have your rear boot pivoted at all?

#7 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 4:33 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

I also pivot the rear boot as far as possible, even when rears weren't pivotable years ago I would re-drill the plate.   guess I have a bit of duck foot!

I am on RS1s now and love them.  the rear boot your heal comes up a bit which I am not a big fan of, although I just have to snug it down a bit more and still get a bit of movement which is fine.

some people put heal lifts in their rear boots, similar to alpine ski boots.

due to the pressure of the ski and feet against the water your foot is almost always planted against the base of the bindings when skiing anyways.

#8 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 8:06 PM

JoelRathbun

I rotated the back binding out one hole, then moved to to the center for day two.  Seemed better but that well could have been because I was getting more used to it.

In general, does some rotation of the rear foot help with counter rotation of the hips?

Very frustrating to take a step backwards, but definitely willing to put some time in if doubles will help in the long term.

#9 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 8:15 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

I think its just a more natural stance for most people unless you're pigeon toed maybe!   So I would say it would help with countering, and every other aspect of your skiing, but mainly just how you stand on the ski.

some high end skiers alot better than me still like to stand with their feet straight, only seen a few who pivot in (pigeon toed)

#10 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 8:31 PM

jamisonsbrodie

Pivoting the rear boot helps with counter rotation on your on-side, but hurts it on your offside.  It is much more natural to have it pivoted, and for those running 15-22 or 28 off, I would recommend a pivot.  I have been reducing my pivot the last couple of years and I am now almost straight.  I run deep 35's on average and am now focused more on counter rotation, although i suck at it.

Board footer