Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 2:44 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

New best pass

I ran 35 today which got me excited, but I decided to try 38 and ran 5 balls so I was thrilled.  The only down side when I try it my wife puts me at 32 mph. probably 17.8 or so.  but I will take it:D

It is weird because you really have to reach (for lack of a better term) to get your ski around the buoy.

#2 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 11:49 PM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

Re: New best pass

Very cool Todd!  Any pointers on running 35 as compared to 32?  I run 32 probably 90% of the time now but have yet to run 35.  I'll usually get 1.5 buoys but if I happen to get a decent 2 ball then i'll usually end up with 3.5 buoys.  It's my offside turns that kill my 35 pass - i end up with slack but kind of suspect it's what i'm doing before the turn that's causing slack. Maybe you or others out there have similar experiences that could help me out.   I've slowed the boat down too at 35 but then i seem to get even more slack. 

Getting into 38 must have been pretty cool!  Congrats! 

Aaron

#3 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 12:40 AM

horne38
Skis At: Lone Rock

Aaron,

Reading your post my bet is you are pulling to long.  When I cut line I have to think I want to go as slow into the bouy as possible while still maintaining enought angle and speed.  I also think of a quicker edge change.  By focusing on a good edge change it makes sure you do not pull to long or ride flat into the bouy.
After alot of pondering I believe everybody is always worried about their turn and pull.  But what we should be focused on is what is happening between the wake and the bouy not the bouy to wake.  My point, we all know guys who have a killer turn and can pull with the best of them but they still get stuck at a line length. (running 32 says you have a good turn and angle) Even though it appears they are getting tons of angle and speed!  Now watch the Open skiers notice where the edge change takes place.  Then watch your tape and I bet your edge change is a good bit  past where theirs are.  They have mastered keeping the speed and angle moving outward giving them that space between preturn and bouy. 
This is my two cents on the matter at hand.

#4 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 12:44 AM

horne38
Skis At: Lone Rock

Todd,
Congrats,  that is some good skiing.  I want 38' at 58k badly!! I keep getting 2

#5 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 2:46 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

Thanks Horne38!  What you are saying makes sense to me.  It's been a while since we were at  ski school, but I was told then that I was pulling too long into my offside turn. I'm probably still doing it - you know, "old habits die hard".  I often think I'm executing properly, but then video or coaching reveals otherwise!

#6 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 5:06 PM

ToddF

I totally agree with the faster edge change.  It seems that you have to get more speed prior to the wake so you can make a hard edge change and still carry your angle to the buoy.  Then the rest of the time you are slowing down to make a good slack free turn.
I know that wasn't to technical, it was more visceral.

It feels to me that 28-32 are similar lengths, and then 35-38 are similar. Or more so than 32-35, but that is probably because I am skiing more at my limit.

At 38 it felt like I had to ski away from the rope handle after the edge change and have a stretch to get to the buoy(otherwise I wasn't going to get to the buoy at all). 

Where at the other rope lengths it feels like after the edge change I can just stand up and wait and just ski around the buoy.

Todd

#7 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 7:34 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.

The thing about 35 and 38 is that you need better handle control to be able to run the pass. As stated above you need to control your speed. That comes with being patient or greedy with the handle. During your edge change you need to have your elbows in. This will allow your ski to continue to gain width and maintain speed out to buoy line. Now here's where the patience comes in, you need to be careful not to grab or reach for the handle but slide in under the handle with out altering your countered position too much. That's much easier said than done tho. I know, for me, I tend to get on the handle too soon, get felt by the boat and then can't maintain my desired path out to the buoy. Game over! These are the things that I'm working on. Hope they help you! Congrats on the 35 and 38. Although 35 and 38 feel very similar, I've  never been able to make it out to 5 ball at 38 (all in practice) But practice makes perfect. Right!!!

#8 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 4:07 AM

ToddF

Steven I agree with the handle part.

On that pass I got around the 5 ball in good shape and in fact grabbed early for the handle, so I could make an early and cool looking finish to my pass.  Instead I ended up in the drink.

Now I just hope that I get a few more try's at that 6 ball this summer.smile

#9 Thu, Jul 1, 2010 12:23 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond
Foot Forward: Left

This thread is very intersting as the thing most folks tell me is that I am pulling too long into the buoy...

Steve brings up a good point of keeping the elbows in and not grabbing for the handle... I have been told to start my edge change earlier and can not grasp how to accomplish this unless it is at 28 or 22...  I am heading tot he lake right now and want to keep focused on the elbows:-)

Nice job on running 35 and almost running 38!!!
Kim

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

Board footer