Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 10:27 AM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

Are Goode's Hardshells Dangerous?

I enjoy using a Goode 9900 ski, and do like the company, however, 5 days ago, I emailed [email protected] with a question.  I asked,

"Hi,

Does Dave have any statistics of what type of bindings each of the 51 skiers were using when they broke their ankles last year?  I would love to see the statistics/percentages of bindings used (with fractures), as I am still using rubber bindings for this very reason.

Thanks,"

To this, I have not received a response.  My only conclusion is either they are too busy to answer, OR, maybe they have a statistic that they don't want to publicize.

I feel it was a sincere question, but admit, I am disappointed I haven't received a response.

-Dan Birch

#2 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 1:19 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

Re: Are Goode's Hardshells Dangerous?

I’m not making excuses for anyone but, it is a busy time of year for the industry, email can be forgotten and overlooked sometimes, balls can be dropped and messages forgotten to be returned, etc…. You might try calling on the phone. I think it is good to know the statistics and use that information on selecting bindings but ultimately remember life is dangerous and strapping you feet to a stick holding onto a rope attached to a speeding boat and then trying to rip through the water faster than the boat, does not reduce you chance of injury. But, being diligent like you are seeking out injury statistics and adding water to you turn buoy like TW and others have suggested will help. When you do get that information, I hope you will share it on the forum. I’m sure you know this, but skiing within your ability and not scrapping or fighting for another buoy, is one of the best ways to avoid injury while enjoying waterskiing. Also, maintaining equipment and communicating with the boat driver.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#3 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 2:18 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Ball of Spray is still offline because of their hacker seige.

When it gets restored, there is a thread in there where Scott Jones talked about the stresses that a single plate will put on your ankles in a non-release or late release situation. It may be just as easy to send him an e-mail. I also have questions about the efficacy of repurposing 3m Dual Lock as a reliable and predictable release mechanism. Many have had great success with this kind of system, but it also seems to be one of the more difficult to get and keep dialed in.

#4 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 2:51 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

I have always and will always question the function of velcro as a release mechanism.

Dave Goode broke his ankle so he came up with an uber expensive and excessive invention; the "the bubble buoy"...

Last edited by Killer (Fri, Jun 25, 2010 2:52 PM)

#5 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 3:36 PM

jipster43
Skis At:

Three weeks ago a buddy of mine broke his ankle in rubber boots.  Marcus Brown has broken his ankle numerous times and skis in a front hardshell.

JP smile

#6 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 3:39 PM

jipster43
Skis At:

By the way - I don't know what systems Marcus was using when he suffered his ankle inuries, but I'd imagine he's in what he feels to be the safest system now.  Not to speak for him or anything.  Just speculating.

JP smile

#7 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 3:53 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

jipster43 wrote:

Three weeks ago a buddy of mine broke his ankle in rubber boots.  Marcus Brown has broken his ankle numerous times and skis in a front hardshell.

JP smile

Exactly which Rubber bindings was he using?

#8 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 6:59 PM

Oxmach

I broke my back foot ankle, along with achilles tendon 2 years ago in double approach.  Did not hit the buoy, but had an offside blow out and did not realease out of the back but had the deltoid tendon pull a piece off the medial malleolus and then the achilles tore, 
Have since gone to Relfex front and Wiley rear.  Plan to test the Reflex rear this year.

#9 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 8:25 PM

t8skier
Skis At: Collierville Ski Club, Tn
Foot Forward: Right

I use the dual loc.  I have been injured twice. Both times I have released when I should not have!

#10 Sat, Jun 26, 2010 12:46 AM

6more4me

I bought the Powershell 5 when they first came out, liked the boot not the dual loc. the plate came off coming off the second wake. When I called  Goode customer service they knew they had sent out defective dual loc. I was not happy with that answer.
Call me a former Goode customer.

Board footer