Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jun 24, 2010 6:26 PM

Skifff

Will Asher skiing style?

Hi all!

I came across this video on youtube of Will Asher skiing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb3kTRen … re=related

The question is if this skiing style is what we or I should aim at?

Some points to discuss:
1.It looks like he is aiming his ski way cross course; it looks like he is trying to ski the impossible line
2.It also looks like momentum is conserved really well. Instead of crossing the course with huge speed he does it with good angle. There seems to be very minimal acceleration and deacceleration going on. The momentum is conserved so well the skiing looks extremely easy.
3.This skiing style probably requires a huge amount of trimming the ski. What do I need to do to make the ski behave like this (slips but holds)? 

Thanks for discussion, I am new to slalom water skiing and any advice is of help.

Cheers,
Juuso N

Last edited by Skifff (Thu, Jun 24, 2010 6:29 PM)

#2 Thu, Jun 24, 2010 11:37 PM

jbski

Re: Will Asher skiing style?

Guess I'll jump in since no one is responding to your inquiry. Of course Will Asher is a great skier to watch, learn from, and try to emulate, but I wouldn't necessarily try to emulate his style. I would focus on the basics that all good skiers try to master - stance or position on the ski, balance, lean, movement of your mass, managing load on the line, acceleration, maintaining a tight line, etc. etc. Find a coach to ski with or sign up for online video coaching. As far as your discussion points are concerned, 1) Will does get a lot of angle, but apparently not enough that he stalls his ski and delays his acceleration 2) he maintains speed through his turns very well, but there is more acceleration/deceleration happening than you are perceiving  3) you will see slip of any ski through the turn with a view from above like that. The A1 is one of the "grippier" angle-holding skis out there and you can see the slip. Other skis/setups might slip even more. You can affect slip by fin adjustments - try shallower. Hold off on tuning your ski which I interpret to mean working on your ski's bevels (unless you have a lot of disposable income).

Lastly, turn off the sound on that video and block out one of the split screens. Good luck with your skiing.

#3 Fri, Jun 25, 2010 9:44 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Will Asher skiing style?

jbski wrote:

[...]
Lastly, turn off the sound on that video and block out one of the split screens. [...]

BINGO!

TW

Board footer