Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 7:07 AM

dabeechman

New/Beginner guy

Hey guys, I am new to the forum, so please go easy on me.

I have just recently started to get the itch to better myself at skiing. I have casually skied for the last two years and then last year I broke my hand after it got wrapped up in the rope. Well this year I want to hit it hard. I am not great by any means by love the sport and plan to stick with it casually for awhile (no competitions).

My question is this, I am currently on a 23 year old mastercraft pulse and the local ski shop owes me $500 bucks on a job I did for him. Would it be especially beneficial to my learning to pick up a newer ski in the 5-600 dollar range, or just learn on the pulse.

Thanks guys.

#2 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 11:15 AM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

Re: New/Beginner guy

Definitely get a new ski (if at all possible).  The technology has changed immensely since then.  Good luck!

#3 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 11:53 AM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio

no brainer...get a new ski

Time to ski!

#4 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 12:24 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Now, if you commit to buying a new ski, (including Bindings) you'll need to find the Best bang for your Buck and the Best fit for your use.

Things to consider:

Your wgt.

Skiing speed

Use.  i.e. Freesking only or combination of course & Freeskiing.

Aspirations or future Goals

Bindings

Budget including tx, & shipping!

New or slightly used...

Good Luck!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 12:38 PM

GSM-Peter
Skis At:

Hi

I got great advices and tips on my topic (like: First time in a slalom course...  need ski advice?)

Best luck and ski carfully!

Brgds

peter

Life is too short not to enjoy every day. Living well is the best revenge!

#6 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 3:01 PM

EdJohnson

Dabeechman,

Do yourself a huge favor and read the excellent articles on this form from Chris and Wade. I would also purchase Mike, Marcus, and Terry's DVD, West Coast Slalom.at WestCoastSlalom.com  The New School Style with Center of Mass movement is more efficient and safer than the old way of skiing.

Regards,  ED

#7 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 8:15 PM

dabeechman

Thanks guys, I will look into a couple things.

Peter, you are right. There was some really solid information on your thread.

As for myself, I ski at 30mph right now and I am 155lbs. I only freeski for right now, but when/if I get better I would love to get into a course, but that wouldn't be for a couple years. My dad is/was a great skier, but he hasn't done it for awhile and he is out of the loop a bit. So I have a good coach, but lacking on some new age advice.

My budget would be around 5-600 bucks. Thanks guys, and I appreciate all the information.

#8 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 10:11 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

You might be able to sell your store credit to someone buying from that store then buy what you want on SIA for a fraction of new price.

And ski safe!

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#9 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 11:39 PM

Michael_D_Henry
Skis At: Lake Texoma

We are kind of in the same boat... so to speak. I have been trying different ski's for two years and have finally settled on a Connelly Concept and a HO Triumph. Two very different ski's and they both rock! Works great for free skiing and that is what I am planning to start running the course with. Oh yea... Wileys are the only way to go!

#10 Thu, Jun 24, 2010 4:06 AM

greg
Skis At: Arvin, CA
Foot Forward: left

Much like my golf game, whenever I feel like I need new equipment, I invest in coaching instead.  It is usually technique that needs improvement and if your equipment is holding you back, you will find out immediately.  Congrats on your return to the sport - above all have fun!

#11 Sun, Jun 27, 2010 2:56 AM

dabeechman

Thanks Greg, I am not a big fan of golf, but I have been playing hockey for 20 years. Although I agree with a lot of what you say...I know there is a rather large discrepancy skating on 20 year old skates vs present technology.

I haven't made a decision on what ski to go with, but when I do I'll let you guys know.

Thanks again for all your advice.

#12 Sat, Jul 3, 2010 7:26 AM

dabeechman

Hey folks, another awkward question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer on.

I am looking at a set of used animals. They are advertised as LFF, but I am RFF. Can I switch the plates on these bindings to work as a LFF? On HO's site they don't even advertise them as foot specific.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

#13 Sat, Jul 3, 2010 4:30 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

I looked at my Animals. They are foot specific.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#14 Wed, Jul 7, 2010 7:03 AM

dabeechman

Thanks Budman, I appreciate you taking a look for me.

Board footer