Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jun 22, 2010 3:27 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

most durable brand of ski

After reading Condi74's post about his broken skis,  I wonder which brand of ski is the most durable.  On BOS forum Horton once commented that if you want a ski that doesn't break, go with a Connelly.   In my experience I'd have to agree with him.  I've only skied on KD, Radar, and Connelly, but of the 3,  Connelly is the only one I've never had an issue with - and I skied it for 6 years.

It also seems that as the skis have gotten lighter, the number of broken skis have dramatically increased.

What do ya'll think?

Aaron

#2 Tue, Jun 22, 2010 3:34 AM

jipster43
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

Re: most durable brand of ski

I bought my Elite because it was said to have a longer shelf life than other skis.  I don't know if that is actually true or not, but I'm gonna' keep telling myself that.

JP smile

#3 Tue, Jun 22, 2010 4:05 AM

longhornskier
Skis At: Frameswitch
Foot Forward: Right

I had a Connelly Prophecy beak after 12 sets when they first released the ski. They replaced it with a new one right when I called. I'm completely OK with a glitch like this since they stood by their product and I've never heard of a problem with another one (I was on an F1 for a while and it was bombproof). I've also had good luck with HOs lasting a long time.

#4 Tue, Jun 22, 2010 8:37 AM

burn

I don't know about the Elite but to me the Fischer was the most durable ski. I am quite confident that his successor (Razor) will be the same

#5 Tue, Jun 22, 2010 12:46 PM

2gofaster

Elite, Fischer, Razor are all manufactured using the RTM process. That's your difference. I took handle hits to my Elite that crushed the front of my other skis and there wasn't even a mark on it.

Shane Hill

#6 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 1:37 AM

aslalomboy

Shane, what's the RTM process?  I've heard of it, but that's it. 

I do agree with longhornskier about the F1.  I still have mine and I can get as many buoys on it  as my Radar, but I like the Radar's stable feel.

Aaron

#7 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 1:49 AM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

resin transfer molding is an Obrien buzz word.  they suck the resin out instead of injecting it into the mold, they say it creates a perfect ski every time, whereas the traditional molding process there are inconsistencies aka air pockets.

I've never broken or seen a ski break personally but I don't ski into the deep shortline. I wouldn't worry about it with any of the major brands.

#8 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 3:26 AM

2gofaster

RTM= Resin Transfer Molding.  It's not an obrien buzzword, but an aerospace buzzword. The wrap, carbon, and core are placed in a two piece mold. The mold has a resin reservoir on one end and a vacuum source on the other.  The resin reservoir is actually a hydraulic press. You put a resin plug in the reservoir and they compress it, which liquifies it and pushes it into the tail end of the mold. They also place a vacuum on it through the tip end to pull the liquified resin through the mold. This has the side benefit of removing all the air pockets.  You end up with a consistent

That's how companies make carbon components for the spaceships, planes, and high end cars. Fischer was the first to create a ski using this method, followed by Obrien, and now Razor(which is made by the same plant that originally made the Fischer).

Shane Hill

#9 Wed, Jun 23, 2010 5:09 AM

aslalomboy

Thanks for enlightening me!big_smile

Board footer