Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#51 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 10:15 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Goode's Bubble Bouys...

Thomas Wayne wrote:

I'm not "back peddling" at all. 

TW

Actually, I didn't say you were back peddling, as in the sale of your goods, I said you were back pedaling.  But since you  are so thorough in reading your posts and the posts of others, I'll have to assume you meant what you wrote.   

Thomas Wayne wrote:

The problem you have is that you apparently don't understand what the concept "infringe" actually means in terms of patent law...
TW

My only problem is that I took the time to respond to this thread.

Travis Ogden

#52 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 11:29 PM

Thomas Wayne

tjo wrote:

Thomas Wayne wrote:

I'm not "back peddling" at all. 

TW

Actually, I didn't say you were back peddling, as in the sale of your goods, I said you were back pedaling.  [...]
My only problem is that I took the time to respond to this thread.

No, it turns out you also have a memory problem.

What you ACTUALLY wrote was: "back peddaling [sic]", so it turns out we BOTH made a spelling error.  The differences are, 1)  I don't share your need to point out a simple typo, rather than address the actual topic at hand, and 2) I'm okay with simply acknowledging my spelling error - in fact, I am historically a terrible speller and must proofread and spell-check often to even come close.

Typically, when I quote someone's post I will often correct their spelling errors without comment - you might note that I made no mention about your use of "peddaling", even though I recognized it as incorrect.  In this case I regret following up with my own typo, but I am grateful that I didn't bother to edit your error [when I quoted you], as you would undoubtedly have interpreted that as some sort of cloak-and-dagger skulduggery.

TW

#53 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 11:38 PM

david38off
Slasher
Skis At: 34 mph
Foot Forward: left

The only unfortunate aspect of the entire episode is that Dave Goode had a very reasonable opportunity to avoid any future conflict by accepting our open and generous offer to share our work with him, WITHOUT ANY OBLIGATION ON HIS PART.  In the event that our patent is eventually granted we will either have to work out some sort of agreement at that point, or perhaps Goode will choose to cease manufacturing the "Bubble Buoy".  This sort of legal entanglement happens all the time in industry - think Perfect Pass v. Zero Off -  and it’s most often resolved without any great amount of anguish on anyone's part.  Hopefully that will be the case here.

I still don't understand?  If someone independantly and without prior knowledge or input comes up with a similiar product;  markets and sells the product ; and later another person / company is granted a patent on a similiar but not identical product;  is the first person required by law to relinquish his rights to that product which he has already marketed?  Or is this considered by law to be prior art since he did not know of and was able to produce the product before the other person?  If you wanted protection from "infringement", it seems some sort of system (like patent pending) would be in place to prevent this from happening? 

Also, if you are serious about caring for skiers safety why would you force Goode to quit making the bubble bouy? I think we all agree ,while it may not be perfect, it is better and safer than a regular air filled bouy.  And if you have a similiar but better system why can't you produce and market it as a patent pending design??  It is interesting to me that you bring up the PP vs ZO debacle as well.  I think that represents the most tragic and unfair thing to happen in the sport of slalom waterskiing at least since I have been involved in it.  (since 1996).  ZO basically forced PP out of the market.  While it may have been good business it sure was unfair to all the skiers who could not afford a new boat with ZO.  We can argue all day about whether PP or ZO is "better", but the truth is that if you practice behind PP and ski tournaments behind ZO you are at a  huge disadvantage right off the bat!  It would seem to me to be a real shame if skiers were suffering ankle and lower leg fractures because Goode was "forced" to stop making a safety bouy.  I would hope you would not follow down the path ZO did just to make a quick buck and without a care for the skiers themselves.

#54 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 12:27 AM

Thomas Wayne

david38off wrote:

[...]
I still don't understand?  If someone independantly and without prior knowledge or input comes up with a similiar product;  markets and sells the product ; and later another person / company is granted a patent on a similiar but not identical product;  is the first person required by law to relinquish his rights to that product which he has already marketed? [...]

The answers to all your questions are here, David:

http://www.uspto.gov/ 

Knock yourself out.

Also, if you are serious about caring for skiers safety why would you force Goode to quit making the bubble bouy? I think we all agree ,while it may not be perfect, it is better and safer than a regular air filled bouy.  And if you have a similiar but better system why can't you produce and market it as a patent pending design??

Not every designer and manufacturer rushes a product to market as fast as Goode.  Nothing in the law requires a patent applicant (or holder) to release an invention to the public on any time-line other than their own.

It is interesting to me that you bring up the PP vs ZO debacle as well.  I think that represents the most tragic and unfair thing to happen in the sport of slalom waterskiing at least since I have been involved in it.  (since 1996).  ZO basically forced PP out of the market.  [...]

Perfect Pass is hardly "out of the market".  They are very much in business, come to work every day, and can be contacted through this website:

http://www.perfectpass.com/

It would seem to me to be a real shame if skiers were suffering ankle and lower leg fractures because Goode was "forced" to stop making a safety bouy.  I would hope you would not follow down the path ZO did just to make a quick buck and without a care for the skiers themselves.

There is already a proven method for making skier buoys safer that is working every day at many, MANY lakes around the world.

I've spent years researching and producing at least one product (the ARM-GUARD™) - so far at a significant financial loss - that is solely intended to keep my fellow water skiers safer.  I've also spent YEARS promoting the use of water/air buoys - and putting up with grief from physics-challenged critics - without any possibility of making one thin dime from that effort.

I know, I know... that's not nearly as significant a contribution to the sport as you entering some ski tournaments, but I still try to do the best I can with what I have to work with.

TW
(PS: Please don't pepper my "karma" with any more of your excessive profanity, "david38off" - your May 29 & June 2 comments are disturbing enough already. [ http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/reputa … 28&p=3 ])

#55 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 1:11 AM

Digger
Skis At: Steilacoom Lake

TW wrote:

Main Entry: dis•place
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)dis-ˈplās, di-ˈsplās\

1 a : to remove from the usual or proper place; specifically : to expel or force to flee from home or homeland <displaced persons> b : to remove from an office, status, or job c obsolete : to drive out : banish

2 a : to move physically out of position <a floating object displaces water>

So by the rationale you offer above, all our basic understanding of physics is "wrong", because a floating object does NOT displace water - that water's still in the lake, by golly.

Of course, I'm quite sure you grasp the speciousness of your argument so I won't bother to address it further.  However, on the off chance that you actually believe what you wrote, all I can say is good luck to you then...

TW
(PS: Thanks for the belly laugh, Ron.)

Thomas, you placed nothing in my cup of coffee to displace the coffee so what does a floating object have to do with this? Another irrelevant statement and definition.
The coffee was not expelled or forced from the cup, it's still there, not displaced. In the truest terms, you did not alter the state or location of the coffee, it may be just semantics but the only thing you relocated is the cup, the coffee is still in its original location=inside the cup!  I'm not really sure what I need luck with either, I am doing quite well thank you. cool

Ski hard or save the gas

#56 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 1:43 AM

david38off
Slasher

Hey TW , I really wasn't trying to pick a fight with you this time wink  Thanks for the info on the patent , I will take a look at it.  It was a serious question, not a poke at you.  I just didn't understand how someone with a "new" concept would go about introducing it and also making sure someone hadn't already begun the patent process.

PP is basically "dead" however when it comes to the new ski boat (at least tournament slalom boat) market.  I would like to have both ZO and PP SG in my  2009 mastercraft 197.  It has ZO already and is a TT edition.  I was told that you cannot do it.  Even if I was willing to pay for an entirely new "module", they say it still cannot be done.  I wasn't sure how that all works since I did have both on my 07 MC 197 and know guys with both on the 08 MC 197??  If you know a way that this can be done, I'd love to know it too.  But as I understand it, if you order a new inboard ski boat, your only choice for speed control is ZO.  ZO is the ONLY possible pull you will get in a tournament in the near future.  They have allowed a few tournaments to pull PP with older boats as an exception, but this has been rare and NOT skiers choice.  I have been to a couple tournaments where the 08 TT was used and had PP SG and ZO in it, but the skier was NOT allowed to choose which he wanted.  Basically just had to ski ZO.  I practice with ZO so not a huge issue for me but there is a huge difference for the bigger guys in terms of "pull" and I feel for the guys that can't practice ZO and are trying to do tournaments. 

As for the negative karma , I am not going to give you any.  Would appreciate it if you showed me the same courtesy.

#57 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 2:38 AM

Thomas Wayne

david38off wrote:

[...]

As for the negative karma , I am not going to give you any.  Would appreciate it if you showed me the same courtesy.

Oh, I don't care about your negative "karma".  Anyone who reads the comments you've already posted there can easily judge the source.  But what I do care about is the unnecessary and excessive profanity you seem to like to use in public. I have to ask, do you have kids of an age where they can read?  If so, do you really want them to see that side of their own father?  What about your friends' kids?

Like I said,  "david38off", your previous comments are disturbing enough already.  I mean, whenever I look at my "karma" from May 29 & June 2 [ http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/reputa … 28&p=3 ] and read where you wrote:

david38off wrote:

"blow me you know it all douche bag" and
"Eat sh*t you stupid dumb f*cking bastard!" [edited for decency's sake]

It bothers me that YOU posted such trash to a public forum, but it's connected to MY screen name.  After all, I really don't want my own teenage daughter reading that sort of filth either.

So PLEASE, David, keep it clean... okay? This is, first and foremost, a family sport.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Wed, Jun 30, 2010 2:47 AM)

#58 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 3:19 AM

david38off
Slasher

TW  DUDE!!!  You are seriously disturbed yourself I think.  I said I wouldn't post negative karma, or use profanity again.. We have been through this.  Why do you need to keep posting/quoting the things I wrote?  We've all read it  (like 3-4 times now). I apologized for it. But I didnt really post it publicly ..it was on your karma page..you on the other hand have posted it on the main pages like 3 times now for all the little ones to see. And You on the other hand also used the word douchbag, and many other insults but I dont feel the need to qoute you over and over! But no apology from you, huh?  I don't have kids, but if I did I'd be more upset if they turned out like you, than if they turned out like me , that is for sure.  How many people on here are you currently fightn with ?  Lets see .. Me...Scot Chipman...Steve Haines...Dan Birch...Digger  ...TJO...  Did i MISS ANYONE?? And you think I have issues???  LOL.  I am liking the Cage fighting idea more and more every time I hear from you.  What do you say?  Up for the challenge?

#59 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 3:33 AM

Thomas Wayne

david38off wrote:

[...]And You on the other hand also used the word douchbag,[...]

Where?  Quote me, with a link... liar.

TW
(PS: The karma page IS public on this forum.)

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Wed, Jun 30, 2010 3:34 AM)

#60 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 3:47 AM

david38off
Slasher

OOps I am sorry There were soooo many insults I got confused.  It wasnt douchebag , it was bastard.  You  called me a bastard, and  clueless ,  and a dolt, and many other negative things have been said about me by you on the forum in general.. Sorry but I have a life and don't spend ALL my time on my computer fighting with the entire waterski community (pretty much just you), so I dont know how to "link" it , but anyone can read the posts of what you said and the karma page for me that you posted.  And yes I know they can read yours too .. but actually didnt know that when I first started to post them.  Thought it was only for you.  That is why I apologized ...to the others on the forum.. ..NOT to you... to you I meant EVERY word of it.

So what about the cage fighting idea??  you didnt respond to that one??

#61 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 4:19 AM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

Wait!  Maybe instead of a "Cage Fight" we should have a Ski Off!  We all know that "Thomas Wayne" is an amazing skier who knows almost EVERYTHING, but can he ski?  We have seen videos of Scott Chipman, and others, but NEVER of  "Thomas Wayne".  Post a video, Thomas, and maybe we'll all become believers!

#62 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 4:47 AM

Thomas Wayne

david38off wrote:

[...]
So what about the cage fighting idea??  you didnt respond to that one??

Well, I didn't respond to your homosexual overtures either...

(May 29 & June 7 - http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/reputa … 28&p=3 )

"Cage fight"?  LOL - like that will ever actually happen.  But it does give me a great idea of what to get you for your next birthday - a magazine subscription... and I've found the perfect one:
http://globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-con … gazine.gif

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Wed, Jun 30, 2010 4:59 AM)

#63 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 4:56 AM

Thomas Wayne

danbirch wrote:

Wait!  Maybe instead of a "Cage Fight" we should have a Ski Off!  We all know that "Thomas Wayne" is an amazing skier [...]

Wherever did you get that idea, Dan?  Certainly not from anything I've ever claimed.  But I do appreciate that you've given up on any sort of intellectual debate or reasoned dialog, and now are simply trying to find some other way to declare "victory".

I'm curious though, does buoy count automatically measure who's right?  Should we conclude that everyone who skis knows less about all ski-related subjects than Chris Parrish?  After all, no one on this forum (or in the world, for that matter) has a higher buoy count than him!

Well that's it then - Dan Birch has decided.  All opinions are wrong unless they agree with whatever Chris Parrish says!  Too bad he doesn't even post here... 

TW

#64 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 5:06 AM

david38off
Slasher

LMAO! Whatever dude!    Exactly as I thought ... too scared to man up for a real challenge.  Lets stick to intellectual put downs and big words! Lets just fight it out on the computer!   Careful TW your pocket protector is starting to show!  And YES I'd say Chris Parrish understands more about slalom skiing than 99.9 % of the skiing population.  If you could ski, you'd know that!

#65 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 5:10 AM

david38off
Slasher

Oh and BTW, as for my "homosexual" overtures,  if we were in prison TW, I'd definitely make you my bitch!

#66 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 5:55 AM

Thomas Wayne

david38off wrote:

Oh and BTW, as for my "homosexual" overtures,  if we were in prison TW, I'd definitely make you my bitch!

Yes, you've made your interests in being intimate with members your own gender quite clear - flaunted it, in fact.

TW
(PS: BTW, you guys are doing great.  Collectively you're very close to - once again- affirming Benford's Law of Controversy - congratulations!)

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Wed, Jun 30, 2010 6:04 AM)

#67 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 6:26 AM

david38off
Slasher

Thomas Wayne wrote:

david38off wrote:

Yes, you've made your interests in being intimate with members your own gender quite clear - flaunted it, in fact.

TW
(PS: BTW, you guys are doing great.  Collectively you're very close to - once again- affirming Benford's Law of Controversy - congratulations!)

LOL.. Yeah Benford looks alot like you .. a little ,small  minded, weak bodied, pocket protector carrying wimp, that tries to act intelligent as a byproduct of having no luck with women. So what is the ratio of women to men in Alaska?  And who is more likely to have interests in the "same"sex?  Hmmm?  Me thinks it would be you!!  LMAO  Yes thats it all ass here and proud of it!!  As for the cage fight, I know a few guys here in TN that are involved in the certified sport of Cage fighting , and yes we could make it happen.  I am challenging you to a fight in a cage, with certified UFC officials , UFC rules.  I will even give you a year to train for it.  Dont worry , there will be a certified referee present to make sure the rules are followed.  We can televise the fight live here on webcast for all to see.  What do you say??  Come on take off the little girl panties and lets make this a real man's argument!  I am officially calling you out to the playground to fight MFer!  After all I am only 12 yrs old. One yr from today...what do you say?

#68 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 12:21 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

Let it go, boys; just let it go.  I think we see the picture....

#69 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 4:03 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Just when i thought this thing couldnt get any better TW you have reached a new low on this forum. Sorry i didnt have more time last night to sit and read this but i had some bouys to slash.
By the way my new 66 Strada performs great in 6" chop!! I was amazed at how well the thing held its edge it never blew out once!!! 6 to 8" of chop.
MC

#70 Wed, Jun 30, 2010 4:06 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Hey T-DUB,
I don't have the time to go back thru all of your posts to prove you wrong, and I'm not that in-secure that I HAVE to be right all of the time. From my memory, it seems that you are correct. I don't remember you saying "Dave Goode stole my design" or anything incriminating like that. But in one of your posts (quoted by Dan Birch) you implied that Dave has stolen design ideas from you. Shame on me for assuming anything of the sorts. But I think that many others on this forum have drawn the same conclusion and have been drawn in to a fruitless debate with you. I don't disagree that the half filled buoy could potentially be a safer alternative than a conventional buoy and can't help but feel that the Bubble buoy is "probably" a superior product to the water filled buoy. But since I haven't tried either, I don't feel that I can make a fair and un-biased evaluation of either of the products in debate here.
So there you go, now you can dance around your computer in victory. I just feel sorry for you that this will be the highlight of your day and this is what it takes for you to feel good about yourself. Good luck to you my friend in your attempt to win friends and influence others with your word smithing wizardry.

Sincerely, Steven Haines

#71 Thu, Jul 1, 2010 4:00 AM

david38off
Slasher

Hmmmm?  I guess TW 's lack of a response means no cage fight?  Darn it all !  I was so looking forward to it.  And no ski off either??  Darn it all.  that could have been fun to watch also, (not as much fun as a cage fight though).  So no skiing, no cage fighting, just big words and BS!  I understand completely now.

#72 Thu, Jul 1, 2010 4:46 AM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn
Foot Forward: RFF

This thread has gone PLAID!!!!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/Essvar/plaid.jpg

#73 Thu, Jul 1, 2010 7:26 AM

Thomas Wayne

david38off wrote:

Hmmmm?  I guess TW 's lack of a response means no cage fight?  Darn it all !  I was so looking forward to it.  And no ski off either??  Darn it all.  that could have been fun to watch also, (not as much fun as a cage fight though).  So no skiing, no cage fighting, just big words and BS!  I understand completely now.

Oh, you were serious about that?  I figured you were just clowning as usual.  You really do have a screw loose, huh?  Like I’m going to waste the time and money fly to Tennessee just because you’ve got a desperate need to “prove” something?  Right...

If you're so sure you want to be in a fight with me come on up to Alaska - I'm very easy to find.  I don't need "a year to train" - I'm ready right now.  Let me know when your flight comes in and I’ll even send a car to pick you up.  Just be aware that there won’t be any “cage” or referee, and there won’t be any rules either – since you’ll be there to follow up on your threats to “punch me in the mouth”, and I’ll simply be defending myself from some over-the-edge internet lunatic.

One other thing - be sure to bring your ski gear, ‘cause after you meet me you just might decide you’d rather ski instead.  Personally, I’ll be fine with it either way.

You want to start a fight so bad then you come to me.  Until that day, all your macho posturing is just that - Internet "tough guy" posturing.

Thomas Wayne

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Thu, Jul 1, 2010 7:27 AM)

#74 Thu, Jul 1, 2010 12:40 PM

2gofaster

Can you two knock it the hell off?!?!?! Let me have the last word and say you're both acting like children. Geez!

Shane Hill

#75 Thu, Jul 1, 2010 2:50 PM

david38off
Slasher

Thomas Wayne wrote:

david38off wrote:

Oh, you were serious about that?  I figured you were just clowning as usual.  You really do have a screw loose, huh?  Like I’m going to waste the time and money fly to Tennessee just because you’ve got a desperate need to “prove” something?  Right...

If you're so sure you want to be in a fight with me come on up to Alaska - I'm very easy to find.  I don't need "a year to train" - I'm ready right now.  Let me know when your flight comes in and I’ll even send a car to pick you up.  Just be aware that there won’t be any “cage” or referee, and there won’t be any rules either – since you’ll be there to follow up on your threats to “punch me in the mouth”, and I’ll simply be defending myself from some over-the-edge internet lunatic.

One other thing - be sure to bring your ski gear, ‘cause after you meet me you just might decide you’d rather ski instead.  Personally, I’ll be fine with it either way.

You want to start a fight so bad then you come to me.  Until that day, all your macho posturing is just that - Internet "tough guy" posturing.

Thomas Wayne

Ok, first of all the rules and referee aren't to protect me from a little puss like you.  It's so I dont go to jail after I stomp the crap out of you. The referee is there to stop me from actually killing you!  I will definitely come to Alaska, if you arrange with a gym for us to have a fight!  I'm not scared of you AT ALL!  Just let me know where the gym is and I'll let you know the date I can get there. But I am serious about the sport of MMA, and would never take a fight without preparing for it.  You might, but that is why I will stomp your ass. It will be fun.  Oh and for all your little minions who are giving me bad karma posts, I am not 14 I am 12 like TW says.  All the guys involved in MMA are like 12 , duh, dont you watch Spike TV?  I mean obviously grown men never actually get in a ring and fight when they have disagreements, do they?  No, they just TALK, and post insults, and get lawyers and SUE.  Oh wait a minute I think there is a big "fight" this weekend between two 285 pound 14 yr old boys on PPV.  You and your lil buds ought to check it out and see what you are in for.  It should be a good fight.  And if you think these guys are doing it just for money then you understand MMA as much as I think you really understand slalom skiing.

Or, if that is too "childish" for you, I wll gladly buy you a plane ticket to come to a tournament, and we can have a "ski" off like Dan mentioned.  You might be right though, I might have a little screw loose when it comes to you, but I HATE bullys and you seem like a bully to me when it comes to forum posts.  Not trying to "prove" anything, except maybe you should try to be a little more polite in the future to people. 

And Shane , you say you want us to stop it. But do you really?  You dont have to read the posts.  But from What I see it seems this is one of the most popular threads on here.  Regardless of what you say, people are violent by nature, and they love a good fight.  That is why UFC is one of the biggest grossing products on PPV right now.  And regardless of what you say, you'd love to watch TW and myself get in a ring or a cage , or for that matter a lake (ski off) .  We could probably sell PPV tickets on a webcast and I bet you'd pay to see it.

Board footer