Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#26 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 4:59 AM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Goode's Bubble Bouys...

Thomas, My point is that the bubble buoy is safer than a water filled buoy. Period. No it is not cheap, it may not be as durable over time, and it may need some improvements.

FYI, I did hear that at the Big Dawg the lakes of Katy lake that was used did not have any bungee system in place and they had to tie the bubble buoy directly to the anchor with essentially a non stretch rope which is not how they will be normally installed.

Scot Chipman

#27 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 6:39 AM

Thomas Wayne

ScotChipman wrote:

Thomas, My point is that the bubble buoy is safer than a water filled buoy. Period. No it is not cheap, it may not be as durable over time, and it may need some improvements.

FYI, I did hear that at the Big Dawg the lakes of Katy lake that was used did not have any bungee system in place and they had to tie the bubble buoy directly to the anchor with essentially a non stretch rope which is not how they will be normally installed.

Well, my point is that a 5-point harness and a HANS device would certainly be safer than the factory lap-and-shoulder-belt you have in your own car, but I'm betting you're going to stick with what you've got because it's safe enough... right?  So at what point do the higher expense, repair issues and judging problems make it not worth it - especially when water/air buoys are pretty damned safe already?

FYI, I've seen water/air buoys anchored with ski rope, nylon rope, mason's twine. clothesline, bungee, strips of innertube, latex tubing...  didn't seem to make much difference as far as I could tell.  But I'd sure be interested in knowing what it is about the Goode "Bubble Buoy" that requires it be anchored with a bungee system...

TW

#28 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 2:59 PM

kstateskier

For Christs sake you two have been arguing for days across TWO different message boards.  TW...  Its no wonder you don't have an arm-guard site live yet, you spend WAY TO MUCH time arguing and trying to prove everyone wrong and get in the last word.  GO SKI DUDE!  GEEEEZ! 

Heck I can't even figure out what you're position is anymore?  I mean you hate the Bubble Buoy because Dave Goode stole your design idea? Or you hate the design because its too expensive and isn't as good as your water filled buoy?  I mean which is it?  Nevermind don't answer that.  Why don't you sheath your sword and go rip some buoys...  At this point you could invent the cure for the common hangover and people wouldn't buy it from you because of your attitude and behavior!

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#29 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 3:13 PM

ScotChipman

Thomas, Again off point, stay focused. I still use regular air filled buoys on my course and yes a regular seat belt but this does not change the point that the bubble buoy is safer than a water filled buoy in my opinion after seeing both and skiing both. I have agreed with you time and time again that the water filled buoy is safer than a regular air filled buoy. We all get that you don't like the expense and the fragility of the bubble buoy, I would also love it if the bubble buoy was $10 and lasted forever.

You would be the first to know that a buoy that is tied with a rope that has no give is going to take more force on its parts (a lot of parts in the bubble buoy) than one tied down with a bungee that has give. No the bubble buoy is not perfect and I'm sure there will be changes in the future but as of now it is the best option available for those skiers who are looking to buy the safest buoy currently on the market. End of story, let’s move on. I'm sure some people are sick and tired of us both by now.

PS To clear up any misconfusion regarding your Arm Guard. I like your Arm Guard and bought one for my wife and had no problem paying what you asked. The only reason I brought up the price of your Arm Guard was because you brought up of the price of the bubble buoy which was off point.

Last edited by ScotChipman (Mon, Jun 28, 2010 3:15 PM)

Scot Chipman

#30 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 4:37 PM

Thomas Wayne

ScotChipman wrote:

[...]

You would be the first to know that a buoy that is tied with a rope that has no give is going to take more force on its parts (a lot of parts in the bubble buoy) than one tied down with a bungee that has give. [...]

PS To clear up any misconfusion regarding your Arm Guard. I like your Arm Guard and bought one for my wife and had no problem paying what you asked. The only reason I brought up the price of your Arm Guard was because you brought up of the price of the bubble buoy which was off point.

Amazing that you would presume to tell me "what I know".  Let me tell you what you don't - a water/air buoy performs much better in all ways with LESS elastic anchor.  More rigid anchoring ensures that its deflection will have a downward component, getting it out of the way faster and more smoothly - resulting in less "force on its parts".  In fact, one of the concerns I have about the "Bubble Buoy" is how it will react to a straight sideways (sliding) ski strike.  I once skied sideways into an empty plastic garbage bag that was mostly submerged, with just a little air in it, and that was one nasty fall.

And to your second point - it's entirely reasonable, when discussing a new product, to analyze three aspects: price, durability and function.  In fact, pick up any edition of Consumer Reports magazine and you'll see that those are the "big three" of product evaluation.  The price of a market-entry product is never "off point".

TW

#31 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 5:02 PM

ScotChipman

Thomas, The only point I'm trying to make is that the bubble buoy is safer than a regular air filled buoy or properly filled water filled buoy regardless of cost or durability. End of story!

Scot Chipman

#32 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 7:41 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

So which is it T DUB? Did Goode steal the complete Bubble Buoy design or a part of your design? I'm sure that you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading your posts it sounds like he stole your design completely. If thats the case, why are you implying that it's an inferior design to the water filled buoy? According to you, you developed both. If you developed the Bubble Buoy, I'd think that you'd be proud of what you've designed and granted a little pissed off that someone stole your design. Now if Goode only stole a portion of your design, why don't you put your version out for all of us to try and then let us make our own decision about the safety and durability? There is no doubt that your passionate about the safety of the sport and I respect that. Show us your version. Maybe we'll get behind you if you have a superior product at a better price. I've seen your pool cues, you've definately got the skills. Put your energy into a new safer product and not beating us into submission.

Last edited by StevenHaines (Mon, Jun 28, 2010 7:44 PM)

#33 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 8:50 PM

Thomas Wayne

StevenHaines wrote:

So which is it T DUB? Did Goode steal the complete Bubble Buoy design or a part of your design? I'm sure that you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading your posts it sounds like he stole your design completely. If thats the case, why are you implying that it's an inferior design to the water filled buoy? According to you, you developed both. If you developed the Bubble Buoy, I'd think that you'd be proud of what you've designed and granted a little pissed off that someone stole your design. Now if Goode only stole a portion of your design, why don't you put your version out for all of us to try and then let us make our own decision about the safety and durability? There is no doubt that your passionate about the safety of the sport and I respect that. Show us your version. Maybe we'll get behind you if you have a superior product at a better price. I've seen your pool cues, you've definately got the skills. Put your energy into a new safer product and not beating us into submission.

Steven,

Do you really want a response to this post, or are you just interested in taking more shots at me on a personal level?  If you truly want answers just say so - but remember later that you specifically ASKED for them.

Otherwise let the thread die its natural death.

TW
(PS: I've never said Dave Goode stole anything from me, and I'd be real interested in having you quote where you think I did.)

#34 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 8:54 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Thomas Wayne wrote:

Yes please!

#35 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 9:01 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

Death be to the thread!

#36 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 9:37 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

Thomas Wayne wrote:

StevenHaines wrote:

Steven,

Do you really want a response to this post, or are you just interested in taking more shots at me on a personal level?  If you truly want answers just say so - but remember later that you specifically ASKED for them.

TW
(PS: I've never said Dave Goode stole anything from me, and I'd be real interested in having you quote where you think I did.)

h20dawg79 wrote:

Very Cool Scot! There is such a need, I hope this goes over well...
No one hopes this goes over better than I do, since it's directly covered by a design that we've had patent pending since well before Dave Goode decided to "solve" the safety-buoy problem.  In fact, I've been working on this problem for many years prior to
Dave Goode breaking his ankle.

One of Goode's "representatives" approached me last year about our work in this area and I offered to openly share everything we had claimed in our patent, without any obligation whatsoever on Goode's part to use any of our ideas.  My reason for making such an offer was simly to avoid a situation where Goode would infringe on intellectual property that we had already officially claimed.

Dave Goode decided he had no interest in seeing what we had already filed, presumably believing that his brilliant mind would produce something unique that no one else could ever conceive.  He's mistaken about that, and I sincerely hope he sells millions of them so we can ultimately reap those profits.

TW
Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Sat, May 22, 2010 8:39 PM)

#37 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 9:41 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Death!! really??? come on guys this has been a great thread!!! i have learned alot about making our sport safer. lol

POGS   MC

#38 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 10:00 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole

I think it would be cool to have the Chipman-Wayne segment on Marcus Brown TV.  Kinda Like Siskel and Ebert.
New product analysis segments. 

I know I wouldn't miss an episode. big_smile

Todd

#39 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 10:23 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Todd sick idea!!! people would be logging in from all over the planet to witness it. I will ask MB if he is down!!!
MC

#40 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 11:05 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

ToddF wrote:

I think it would be cool to have the Chipman-Wayne segment on Marcus Brown TV.  Kinda Like Siskel and Ebert.
New product analysis segments. 

I know I wouldn't miss an episode. big_smile

Todd

Maybe a "Cage-Fight" would be better!

#41 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 1:59 AM

Digger
Skis At: Steilacoom Lake

OK Thomas, I'll bite, once. I'm getting confused though on who said what here since all of this is pretty much a waste of time. Guilty.

You asked:

"1) If you pick up a full coffee cup and displace (move) it to some other spot on your desk, isn't the coffee inside that cup being displaced?", well NO, the coffee in the cup is in exactly the same place it was prior to the cup being moved, still occupying the same space in the cup. The cup however has been displaced, no argument there, but the space inside the boundaries of the cup and the coffee inside that space is exactly in the same place, it's always in the same place regardless of where the cup is. Now if I drank the coffee or poured it out, then yes, the coffee itself has been displaced.

"2) If you have a buoy containing "x" cubic inches of air, and you displace (move) the entire buoy, isn't the air inside also being displaced (relative to its prior location)?"
Obviously no, the air is also in the same place before the ball was moved, it's confined within the boundaries of the buoy and can only be displaced if it is released from these boundaries. Once again, regardless of the location or change in shape of the ball, the air inside is always in the same location, inside the ball, in its same location.

Just as the air in the tires of my car, regardless of where I am, what City, County or State, the air in those tires is always in the same place, it is not being "displaced", it's confined within the boundaries of my tires, in a sealed enviornment. If I get a flat tire, then yes, that air is then displaced to another enviornment.

Personally, I don't think you made a good argument or had very good questions, my opinion only.

Time to ski but I can't wait for more:big_smile

Last edited by Digger (Tue, Jun 29, 2010 2:04 AM)

Ski hard or save the gas

#42 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 7:16 AM

Thomas Wayne

Digger wrote:

OK Thomas, I'll bite, once. I'm getting confused though on who said what here since all of this is pretty much a waste of time. Guilty.

You asked:

"1) If you pick up a full coffee cup and displace (move) it to some other spot on your desk, isn't the coffee inside that cup being displaced?", well NO, the coffee in the cup is in exactly the same place it was prior to the cup being moved, still occupying the same space in the cup. The cup however has been displaced, no argument there, but the space inside the boundaries of the cup and the coffee inside that space is exactly in the same place, it's always in the same place regardless of where the cup is. Now if I drank the coffee or poured it out, then yes, the coffee itself has been displaced.

"2) If you have a buoy containing "x" cubic inches of air, and you displace (move) the entire buoy, isn't the air inside also being displaced (relative to its prior location)?"
Obviously no, the air is also in the same place before the ball was moved, it's confined within the boundaries of the buoy and can only be displaced if it is released from these boundaries. Once again, regardless of the location or change in shape of the ball, the air inside is always in the same location, inside the ball, in its same location.

Just as the air in the tires of my car, regardless of where I am, what City, County or State, the air in those tires is always in the same place, it is not being "displaced", it's confined within the boundaries of my tires, in a sealed enviornment. If I get a flat tire, then yes, that air is then displaced to another enviornment.

Personally, I don't think you made a good argument or had very good questions, my opinion only.

Time to ski but I can't wait for more:big_smile

Main Entry: dis·place
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)dis-ˈplās, di-ˈsplās\

1 a : to remove from the usual or proper place; specifically : to expel or force to flee from home or homeland <displaced persons> b : to remove from an office, status, or job c obsolete : to drive out : banish

2 a : to move physically out of position <a floating object displaces water>

So by the rationale you offer above, all our basic understanding of physics is "wrong", because a floating object does NOT displace water - that water's still in the lake, by golly.

Of course, I'm quite sure you grasp the speciousness of your argument so I won't bother to address it further.  However, on the off chance that you actually believe what you wrote, all I can say is good luck to you then...

TW
(PS: Thanks for the belly laugh, Ron.)

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Tue, Jun 29, 2010 7:19 AM)

#43 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 1:52 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

One of Goode's "representatives" approached me last year about our work in this area and I offered to openly share everything we had claimed in our patent, without any obligation whatsoever on Goode's part to use any of our ideas.  My reason for making such an offer was simly to avoid a situation where Goode would infringe on intellectual property that we had already officially claimed.

Dave Goode decided he had no interest in seeing what we had already filed, presumably believing that his brilliant mind would produce something unique that no one else could ever conceive.  He's mistaken about that, and I sincerely hope he sells millions of them so we can ultimately reap those profits.

TW

T DUB,

I apologize if I'm mis-interperating what you were saying here or reading in something that you really didn't mean to say. My wife says that I sometimes take things "TOO" literal! Again, my sincerest apologies if I have in-deed mis-interperated what you were trying to say on the 22nd of May.

Your Friend,

Steve

#44 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 2:12 PM

david38off
Slasher
Skis At: 34 mph
Foot Forward: left

I like the Cage fight idea.  3 rounds 5 minutes EACH, UFC rules apply.  Live webcast ... Wade could sell "tickets" to view the webcast and support the website!

#45 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 2:27 PM

kstateskier

Steven don't feel bad I also interpreted TW's comments as you did.  Translation: "Dave Goode stole my design" 

Which is why its so confusing why he's going to such great lengths to bash the concept?  Oh well that why I get my slalom course parts from EZ Ed at EZ-Slalom.  That guy is a true class act and a GREAT ambassador to our sport.

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#46 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 2:35 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I guess that I could have "easily" mis-interperated the "TRUE" meaning of his post. And if that's the case, I truely and sincerely apologize!

#47 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 5:06 PM

Thomas Wayne

I never said Dave Goode (or anyone representing Dave Goode) stole anything from us.  In no way did I mean to suggest or imply that idea, and I never intended for anyone to infer it, either.  I thought I had described the events clearly, but if it was easily misinterpreted then that would be my failing.

To be clear, we have kept our patent-pending buoy design very confidential, and to our knowledge no one has "stolen" any aspect of it.

Answering Bradley's question, I'm not criticizing ["bashing"] the concept, I'm criticizing the execution of the concept.  I believe those aspects of the Goode "Bubble Buoy" that we invented - and that are currently patent pending - remain valid.  There are a number of additional, unnecessary aspects to the Goode buoy that make it fragile (in my opinion), expensive, and overly complex.  It's that final embodiment that I think will ultimately limit the appeal of the product, and therefore its effectiveness as a safety device.

TW

#48 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 6:51 PM

tjo

StevenHaines wrote:

TW

Steve

TW, since you love nailing everyone else to the wall, I don't think we should let you off the hook so easily on this one.  You clearly inferred that Dave Goode was infringing on your own designs, otherwise you would not be hoping that he "sells millions of them" so that you could "ultimately reap those profits."  How would YOU reap those profits if there were no patent infringement? 

If I remember correctly, you went on a long rant about IP law after this original post was made during which you attempted to educate all of us on who is entitled to the IP.  Now you are simply back pedaling.   

Whatever, I don't really care anyway, other than the fact that I hate watching you bash fellow skiers when they misplace a word or make a small mistake in their posts.  I just find it hilarious that the one constantly casting stones is continually trying to hide his own imperfections.

Last edited by tjo (Tue, Jun 29, 2010 10:04 PM)

Travis Ogden

#49 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 7:35 PM

steveb

Alrighty then....this certainly clears things all up nicely.

Steve B.
smile

#50 Tue, Jun 29, 2010 9:18 PM

Thomas Wayne

tjo wrote:

TW, since you love nailing everyone else to the wall, I don't think we should let you off the hook so easily on this one.  You clearly inferred that Dave Goode was infringing on your own designs, otherwise you would not be hoping that he "sells millions of them" so that you could "ultimately reap those profits."  How would YOU reap those profits if there were no patent infringement? 

If I remember correctly, you went on a long rant about IP law after this original post was made during which you attempted to educate all of us on who is entitled to the IP.  Now you are simply back peddaling.   

Whatever, I don't really care anyway, other than the fact that I hate watching you bash fellow skiers when they misplace a word or make a small mistake in their posts.  I just find it hilarious that the one constantly casting stones is continually trying to hide his own imperfections.

"Let me off the hook"?  "Back peddling"?  Lol.

I'm not "back peddling" at all.  Everything I wrote was accurate and exactly what I meant to say, and I certainly don't need you to "let me off the hook"...

It's always my intent to write clearly and precisely, remaining as accurate as possible.  If I choose to debate someone else's point, I take a few moments to actually read what they wrote and make sure I comprehend their position.  Not everyone does that… Travis.

However, when more than one person misinterprets what I wrote, especially if those people are intelligent and capable of writing well themselves ("danbirch" and "StevenHaines", for example), then I have to consider that I wasn't as clear as I had meant to be - hence the above mea culpa.

As for your concerns about "infringement", there is, in fact, an infringement (think "overlap") by the Goode "Bubble Buoy" design on work that we had already filed for patent consideration.  The problem you have is that you apparently don't understand what the concept "infringe" actually means in terms of patent law, and you’re attaching a negative meaning where none was stated or implied.  I am not now saying, and I HAVE NOT SAID that Dave Goode did anything illegal, immoral, or unethical - simply that he has collaterally designed something for which we had already filed and begun the patent process.

The only unfortunate aspect of the entire episode is that Dave Goode had a very reasonable opportunity to avoid any future conflict by accepting our open and generous offer to share our work with him, WITHOUT ANY OBLIGATION ON HIS PART.  In the event that our patent is eventually granted we will either have to work out some sort of agreement at that point, or perhaps Goode will choose to cease manufacturing the "Bubble Buoy".  This sort of legal entanglement happens all the time in industry - think Perfect Pass v. Zero Off -  and it’s most often resolved without any great amount of anguish on anyone's part.  Hopefully that will be the case here.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Tue, Jun 29, 2010 10:01 PM)

Board footer