Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Jun 19, 2010 4:07 PM

usthoops42

Drilling Holes into Waterski...

Hello -

Brand new to the forum here - looks like there is lots of great information.

I just got a rear Animal binding for my Monza.  I grew up skiing with a RTP, still trying to get used to the double binding.

I'd like to move the back binding further back, but the current holes will not allow it. 

I need to drill some new mounting holes - but I have no idea how to do it. I did a quick search of the forum, but didn't find this topic.

Can someone please walk me through how to drill new mounting holes into my ski?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...

Mark

#2 Sat, Jun 19, 2010 4:56 PM

longhornskier
Skis At: Frameswitch
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Drilling Holes into Waterski...

I avoid putting extra holes in skis at all cost. I would think about putting holes in the binding plate if possible, but make sure to have big enough washers or screw plates on top of the plate so the screws can't pull through.

If you do need to put more holes in the ski, I recommend adding completely new inserts rather than just a screw into the ski. D3 sells inserts on their website

Last edited by longhornskier (Sat, Jun 19, 2010 4:59 PM)

#3 Sat, Jun 19, 2010 5:26 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

I agree with longhornskier.  I have drilled a number of inserts into skis, and there are things you can't really do near as well as the manufacture does when producing the ski.  Inserts tend to pull out.  At a minimum, you would need to take an "L" shaped Allen tool, and after drilling the hole for insert, put the tool in and work it around the hole, so the foam in that area is cleared out (like a 1"+ sized cavity under the insert hole).  I would use JB Weld, and INJECT it into the area, so it becomes a large area (glue ball) around the insert, to help "lessen" the chances of the insert pulling out.

Good luck!

#4 Mon, Jun 21, 2010 2:20 PM

usthoops42

Thanks for the responses. 

I agree with both of you - I don't like the idea of drilling into a ski either, but there is no way I can use the stock holes.  I'm using two XXL Animal boots, and my back heel would be over the current mounting holes.

I'll look into the D3 inserts.

Any other recommendations on how to drill without messing up the ski?

Thanks!

Board footer