Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 7:41 PM

GSM-Peter
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

How many runs of training does it normally take to ...

.... manage the senior course assume you already manage a junior course?

I know it is a hypothetical question but I have a goal and I would like to understand roughly how far of I am?
I have perciverence so I know - sooner or later will manage it.

The prerequsits is that I have managed 4 in the junior track using the Connely Wide Body Mid-S ski.
Now with a better ski (Radar Theory, 6 free runs) and some coaching and I will soon manage the full junior track.
I am resonable fit and have god balance.
Currently working on my position, rythm, dare to pull consistenly over the wakes.
I try to make at least one pass per week.
At my club we do one or two runs. Each run is 4-6 passges.

Open for speculation and advices like:
- one more seson smile
- 50 runs
  200 passeges
- You must run junior track at 58 kmh prior to senior track    neutral
- You must run junior track at 11m prior to senior track        yikes
- One can normally improve one speed increment or shorter line per seson in the begining  cool
- newer you are to lazy ;0)  !

/Peter

Life is too short not to enjoy every day. Living well is the best revenge!

#2 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 10:21 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: How many runs of training does it normally take to ...

There just can't be a simple or reliable answer to this. As everyone and their natural abilities are So different. But, I will take a chance and speculate that if you stay very consistant with your practice (getting out on the course a Min. 1 set per wk. all season) and get some Good Quality coaching from a Real coach (not just a friend who is a much better skier) And you shoot as much video of your passes as possible to learn from. You could be running the whole Senior course @ -15/ 28 mph on your Theory by the end of the season...smile

If you 1st build a Good Technical foundation to work with, speeding up and cutting line will be Much, Much Easier! (Safer and Healthier as well!)wink

Virtual Coaching would be a Great Asset as well...cool

Good Luck!
U Kin Do it Aaaaay!!!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 11:01 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Junior track is over rated. Try the senior one, but just focus on keeping a good rhythm and getting as many buoys as you can. If it's your goal, it's well with in any beginner's ability to learn the course in the first season.

#4 Fri, Jun 18, 2010 2:23 AM

BrianM
Skis At: the cottage
Foot Forward: Right

Also, don't worry about the gates at the beginning.  Start by cutting out to the right out to ball 1 and just ski around it and cut for #2.  Once you can do all six balls consistently, then start to play with the gates.

#5 Fri, Jun 18, 2010 4:35 AM

Thomas Wayne

BrianM wrote:

Also, don't worry about the gates at the beginning.  Start by cutting out to the right out to ball 1 and just ski around it and cut for #2.  Once you can do all six balls consistently, then start to play with the gates.

Unless you are left-foot forward.  In that case, start by pulling out to the left and waiting for the #2 ball as your starting point.

The goal of this no-gate "drill" is to link three balls together, initially bypassing your "offside" turn.  It's as much a psychological leg up as anything else, but very important for a beginning course skier to absorb the concept of linking several turns together.

TW

#6 Fri, Jun 18, 2010 8:04 PM

GSM-Peter
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

Thanks all

With this in my back I will set a goal that latest next seson I will manage the track.

Unfortunately sesons in Sweden is short (it is too cold until mid May, vacation in July and getting dark and windy already during late August) so I can not expect enough runs in one seson (family etc also needs time).

I have not give video a thought but I will for sure look for some one with a video cam that can help.

I have great coaches that teach folks reguarly.
For example Ulf has been skiing since early 60's and arange many clinics.
His coaching is humble and professional and his skiing is amazing.
(Ulfs record is 4 at 58 kmt on 11 meters!)

Life is too short not to enjoy every day. Living well is the best revenge!

#7 Fri, Jun 18, 2010 8:37 PM

Galejan
Skis At: Tunsättersjön
Foot Forward: left

Our season is not that short, the ice has normally dissapeared in april and if we are lucky,dont come back until december.
So Peter, buy a good semidry and dont give up, it took nearly 2 seasons for me to manage the course.
But then i gave up my old EP Lazer and bought my HO Triumph and a long wetsuit and continued skiing, life is great big_smile

Last edited by Galejan (Fri, Jun 18, 2010 8:38 PM)

Board footer