Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 1:34 PM

2gofaster

check your equipment

Before you or someone gets hurt.  We used one of my older ropes last night. My ski partner rounded 4 at 38off/36mph, got back on the handle and BAM!!! I thought he'd popped the handle and it had hit the back of the boat, it was so loud.  But then I realized that every bit of the rope had landed in the observer seat.  Turns out the rope broke 1 ft below the handle loop.  When I got back to him, he was sucking wind big time. His hands and the handle came back into his rib cage, leaving a big bruise on one side.........and then he pounded the first wake leaving a big bruise on the other side! Luckily, that's all the damage.

The point being, you should really check ropes and handles and replace them at intervals.  I'd been saying I needed to replace that rope for a month, as it was from our fall tournament in 2008.  I just hadn't gotten around to ordering one, which turned out to be a big mistake.

Shane Hill

#2 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 2:30 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: check your equipment

What kinds of tell tell wear signs are there on that Rope?

Is it frayed a little near the break or else where?

Is it faded near the break or else where?

Thanx!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 2:58 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

I had a rope break on me last season.  Happened as I was crossing the wakes (under heavy load).  It was not a fun feeling.

Travis Ogden

#4 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 3:00 PM

2gofaster

The interesting thing is that rope showed no signs of abrasions or fraying where it broke. I was going to replace it because it was almost 2 years old and the take off loops were starting to fray a bit from the pylon wear. It actually broke in the doubled up part of the rope near the handle end. . So they loop the end then run the rope back in itself for about 18 inches and it broke in the middle of that section. The internal section was a clean break. As if it was brittle. The rope is bright white so hard to detect any fading. I would have to assume heat and UV deterioration.

Shane Hill

#5 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 6:13 PM

kstateskier

I just broke a 4 year old slalom handle a week ago on an up...  Glad it happened there rather than during my set.  It could have been bad!  Lesson learned, use a handle/rope for a season or two and then retire it!

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#6 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 6:47 PM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek
Foot Forward: Right

same thing happened a couple years ago, i know its overkill, but i replace my  rope  every year now. Better safe than sorry.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#7 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 6:56 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

my brother broke his thumb after a handle busted.

I make sure I keep them out of the sun, and wound up nice.  I only use my ropes/handles a few months and a few days per month all year so they last at least 2-3 years and are still in decent shape after that.

#8 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 9:16 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Hope your buddy is ok - he needs to make sure his ribs all stay moving - they can get worse after a few days or even weeks. Once your ribs quit moving properly, they can start cranking the vertebra they are attached to around and it all gets worse fromt there.

#9 Fri, Jun 18, 2010 5:12 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

A few times I've had relatively  new equipment (less than 6 months old)  that appears to be in good shape break on me - Never a rope, but some handles and a ski.  Luckily I've only  had a sore hand from these failures.      Gotta be proactive with equipment maintenance, and even then something may still break on you.

Board footer