Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 2:41 AM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek
Foot Forward: Right

Head and Tail Winds.

I know its something none of us like, love calm conditions. Winds. Tjje question im throwing out there is , how to deal with them? Going into the wind , feels so slow, and with , like ur gonna out ski the boat.What is the best approach to deal with them?

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#2 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 3:31 AM

2gofaster

Re: Head and Tail Winds.

Head wind, snap the ski up out of the pull out to keep the ski moving and gliding. Tail wind, roll the ski up out of the pull out.

Shane Hill

#3 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 1:13 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I used to have h/t winds backwords... So, I've got to 1st define Head wind and Tail wind! A Headwind blowing into your face and Slowing you down and a Tail wind @ your back speeding you up...

So, timing is what changes depending upon the extent of the H or T wind. Timing may need to be sped up or initiated sooner during the pull out or you may need to hold your pull pos. a little longer with a sgnificant Headwind.

With a Tailwind, everything going Down course will happen quicker. i.e. the Glide, your outbound travel aft. the edge change, making Good Line managment even more of a factor.

I always feel with enuf wind especially H/wind,  -the increased waves, the clatter of the ski and the fact that I get behind makes me feel like I'm skiing @ 40 mph with a Bad ski set up! But, it sure is rewarding to Hang in there and pull it out when the cond's are far less then ideal!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 8:14 PM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

funny thing for me lately is that I do  better in a tailwind than a stiff headwind.  I let off the line too soon in the headwind  cuz I think it will be easy with the wind holding me  back, but then slow down too much in the turn,  then the boats pull hits me before I'm ready.
Aaron

#5 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 8:44 PM

tsixam
Foot Forward: LF

Headwind-be aggressive behind the boat. Make sure you stay on edge over the second wake.
Tailwind-be even more aggressive, to make space for a nice preturn that will help you to make a good turn so you can build angle before the next ball.

Last edited by tsixam (Wed, Jun 16, 2010 8:46 PM)

#6 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 11:55 PM

longhornskier
Skis At: Frameswitch

Headwind: Be extra strong behind the boat and through the edge change to gain enough width. Don't come off the handle too early or the boat will suck you in.

Tailwind: Make sure and have a crisp edge change to send your ski outward in the preturn. Any time you spend on a flat ski going into the buoy will make the wind push you way down course at the end of the turn. I think about being almost overly aggressive to keep my ski on edge at all times.

Last edited by longhornskier (Wed, Jun 16, 2010 11:56 PM)

#7 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 1:15 AM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

thanks guys, appreciate the tips from some guys that have had the honour of dealing with these situations

Skiing Finatic Once Again

Board footer