Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jun 15, 2010 4:02 AM

horne38
Skis At: Lone Rock
Foot Forward: right

Ski Care

So I have a question on Ski Care.  I know that the bottom of you ski is Very important.  I have seen Jeff Rodgers file/sand the bottom of his ski to get different angles and bevels on the ski.  I also see some guys at touny's stand on the ski fin and all. Others try not to touch the bottom of the ski so there is no oil on it.  Who is right?
I have some small scraps on the bottom on my ski from the swim platform.  I am wondering if this really matters and if it does what is the best thing to do.  ?steel wool? I know thousands matter on the fin does the same apply to the bottom?
What is the best way to keep your ski in tip top shape?

#2 Tue, Jun 15, 2010 4:11 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Ski Care

Protect the bottom of your ski and the fin at all costs. Small scrapes can be removed by hand sanding very lightly with high grit sand paper. After this work is done you will want to clean the bottom of your ski with mild dish soap to remove excess dust and hand oils from working on the ski. Sounds like you really have to baby a ski and I suggest you do as they are not a small investment and can be easily damaged if not properly cared for.

#3 Tue, Jun 15, 2010 11:52 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Whether or not the regular wear and tear has a noticable negative effect on your skiing is a little bit of a questionmark, though. I'm pretty sure Jeff was skiing on a ski that had numerous scrapes and scars when he ran 41 back in the day before anyone else did. At the same time, big, deep scrapes probably do have some sort of negative effect.

Personally i'm not too worried about the scrapes from the platform... but I keep my ski in a ski sock when it's not in use which keeps the bottom of the ski protected. A ski bag isn't necessarily as safe as a sock, however, because it's easy to get sand in the bag and then you're just sliding your ski over sand, scraping it every time in and out of the bag, not helpful.

When the ski is new you can wash the bottom with a green scrubby and some soap to remove residue that gets on there during construction, when they pop it out of the mold.

If you want to smoothen the bottom of the ski some wet sand paper (very high grit number) and a bucket of water will get you headed in the right direction. I wouldn't recommend sanding your bevels, and if you do choose to use the wet sand paper, make deliberate strokes from tip to tail, one at a time, and don't go too crazy, as you are more likely to change the dynamics of the ski in 15 minutes with some wet sand paper than the scratches you have already see on the bottom.

#4 Sat, Aug 7, 2010 4:38 PM

othersideland

Quick question about sanding a ski does it matter if the bottom of the ski has a graffic on it or if its just black because the ones with graffics ive noticed are a little more rough and the  black bottoms are smooth. But i wanted to ask before i wet sand the bottom of my ski. Thanks Brett

#5 Sat, Aug 7, 2010 5:54 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

It will be simpler and save you headaches if you just use the rough side of a sponge or a no-scratch scouring pad.

Board footer