Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jun 15, 2010 3:13 AM

db440

Staying on edge across the wake

Hey, new to forum and have a few questions. I am 17 and have been slalom skiing for about 2 to 3 years now, a course was recently put in on the lake in which our camp is on..so i need to get better!! I seem to have a lot of trouble crossing the wake on edge and keeping it there. I have to cut on both sides of the wake and it seems that when i say screw it and cut i get launched off the other side airborne. I am also have trouble with when i really lay down a good cut it feels as though my foot is so far down in the water that i want to come over the front of the ski. Im sure this has a lot to due with balance and i just need some help! thanks..

#2 Tue, Jun 15, 2010 4:30 AM

trichter12
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Staying on edge across the wake

One thing you may want to consider when crossing the wakes is to not look where your going.  In other words, pick a point on the boat, whether its the pylon, deck or whatever and keep focused on that out of your turn until you have crossed the wakes.  This will also help you in the course by preventing you from skiing to the buoys.

Travis

#3 Tue, Jun 15, 2010 12:20 PM

lagdawg

When I was first learning how to slalom and started trying the course I had some of the same issues with crossing the wake.   I found a way that helped me build confidence in my wake crossings that allowed me to progress.  I would start by moving out just to the spray line that is outside of the wake.  I would then start there and cross the wakes focusing on keeping the ski on edge.  I would progressively get more agressive with my pull across the wakes.  Next I started moving out wider trying to focus on keeping the ski on edge through the wakes.  This helped me build confidence in my wake crossings while free skiing.

Lately, I had been having trouble while skiing the course with hitting the wake real hard and getting air.  Some one told me to pull longer.  So I started focusing on pulling past the second wake and all of a sudden I wasn't bouncing off the wake any more.  Apparently I was flattening the ski too early and that flat ski was hitting the wake causing me to launch.  Plus I got a lot more width in the course and it made the pass I was working on much easier.

#4 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 4:28 PM

db440

hey thanks for the advice..went out tuesday and had great results. I found that by keeping my knees right up against each other did wonders! my dad told me that when i would approach the wake that my posture was reall bad and that my knees would bow out..so i am assuming that by keeping my legs more straight and together that i was easier for me to keep the ski on edge!! I also learned that i need to get my ass ass in shape because boy am i sore!!! lol

#5 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 5:09 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC
Foot Forward: Right

Your probably sore because you were using different muscle groups by keeping your knees together.

If thinking about keeping your knees right up against together works for you (this does for me then stick with it. (I've just got to remember to do it ALL of the time:)).  Regarding the straight legs thing, rather than ski with straight legs, think of your legs as being like the shock absorbers on car so you ride over the wakes rather then trying to plough through it. 'SOFT KNEES' (I've just got to remember to do it ALL of the time smile).

The link is from Seth Stisher website and is of him skiing at his ski school H2Oz in Charleston. By all means watch all the videos, but first scroll to the bottom of the page and watch the last four videos, but particularly the second to last.  These are great examples of the tips you have been given, being put in practice by a top coach:

http://www.waterskitrainer.com/spip.php?page=video

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#6 Fri, Jun 18, 2010 2:13 AM

db440

yeah i think thats the hardest part.. REMEMBERING all of the techniques you wanted to try..hopefully this weekend i will be able to build on what i started, i want to try to turn more with my legs because ive been told that i use my upper body to turn.. i told them i was counter rotating hahaha

Board footer