Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jun 14, 2010 2:04 PM

PatM
Skis At: South central Mass.
Foot Forward: Left

Rivets for hardshells

I am trying to replace the buckles on my Goode hardshells and need to find out what to use for fasteners.  I thought of using aluminum rivets vs. steel rivets, but need to know what type and size of rivet.  Also if anyone has a better idea (like a type of screw to use). 
Thanks, Pat Morrill

#2 Mon, Jun 14, 2010 3:14 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Rivets for hardshells

PatM wrote:

I am trying to replace the buckles on my Goode hardshells and need to find out what to use for fasteners.  I thought of using aluminum rivets vs. steel rivets, but need to know what type and size of rivet.  Also if anyone has a better idea (like a type of screw to use). 
Thanks, Pat Morrill

I'm a fan of "chicago screws", sometimes referred to as "screw posts".  You can find them in a variety of sizes and materials, including stainless steel, and they're extremely easy to replace when necessary.  Be sure to use removable Loctite when assembling so they stay together until you don't want them to.

One source I've used: http://www.chicagoscrews.com/products.p … category=5  You can find smaller minimum quantities at Tandy Leather, some office supply houses, and many different craft-related suppliers - search via Google.

http://www.hardwareelf.com/Images/Items/fasteners/F-005lg.jpg

#3 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 1:59 AM

KM
Foot Forward: Right

Go to a skate shop and ask for anti-rivets.

#4 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 1:18 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

#5 Wed, Jun 16, 2010 3:42 PM

Thomas Wayne

The main reason I prefer chicago screws over anti-rivets is that both halves of the chicago screw have heads that are larger than regular screws.  This creates a larger surface area on both sides for clamping your parts together.

Anti-rivets are more like a regular machine screw combined with a round-based t-nut.  Since a common problem with any fastener of this type is that they can pull through the material under excessive force, the larger the heads the better (IMO).

TW

#6 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 4:01 PM

PatM
Skis At: South central Mass.
Foot Forward: Left

Thanks gentlemen, I will check out your suggestions.

#7 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 2:11 AM

andkal

Hey Pat,

This is Andy Kalafatis, I have plenty of screws for buckle replacement if you still need them. Where have you been? Have not seen you at any tourneys yet this summer. E-mail me at ancomcabs at gmail dot com

Board footer