Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 9:37 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

To fat for Ski?

I am 6' and 195lbs.  I wish it was all muscle but a desk job for the last 10 years has killed me.  I have started doing what it is going to take to get back down to my preferred 170lb range but it will take awhile.

I am on a 67" 2006 F1 with double drafts and ski 34mph 22 off.  When I am working on things or try a new line length I usually slow down to 30-32mph or so.  Is my big butt going to be dragging in the water to much on the turn for this size of ski at the slower speeds?  Still feels pretty good at 34mph.

Thanks

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#2 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 9:59 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: To fat for Ski?

I'd expect it to be pretty rough on your body to ski slower than 34mph on something that small. If you like the 67" length, you may want to consider a ski like like the Senate C.

#3 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 3:09 PM

arturo
Skis At: Bullards Bar Reservoir
Foot Forward: Left

HO410 wrote:

I'd expect it to be pretty rough on your body to ski slower than 34mph on something that small. If you like the 67" length, you may want to consider a ski like like the Senate C.

I too am on the upper range of the ski size chart but conversely, I am fit and riding a 67.  I am currently skiing at 30mph@15'off, working on the course to get one complete pass.  I know I can do it, I am having/creating mental barriers, but that is another forum question.  Sounds to me that I should attempt a faster speed too as I do get fatigued pretty quickly in my legs.  I do feel like I am riding too deep in the water (feels soft versus vibrational when directly behind the boat) and often lose momentum; my rhythm is awful right now.  I am going to try HO410's advice too and bump it a notch.

Last edited by arturo (Fri, Jul 23, 2010 3:13 PM)

**ACS**

#4 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 3:28 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

IMO, I wouldn't ski at less than 32 mph.  At less than that, the ski is going to sink too much and technique will be harder to work on.  I think you will be fine at 32 even with your current weight, and it is enough of a drop from 34 to make it easier to work on things.  Otherwise you will need a wider or longer ski.

#5 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 4:48 PM

arturo

jamisonsbrodie wrote:

IMO, I wouldn't ski at less than 32 mph.  At less than that, the ski is going to sink too much and technique will be harder to work on.  I think you will be fine at 32 even with your current weight, and it is enough of a drop from 34 to make it easier to work on things.  Otherwise you will need a wider or longer ski.

Thanks for the tip.  BTW, I think it is cheaper to drop 20 lbs.  LOL.  wink

**ACS**

#6 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 6:54 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

arturo wrote:

jamisonsbrodie wrote:

Arturo,

Since you are working on 15 off, you will need to slow down below 32 mph until you can run the pass comfortably.  My recommendation of 32 minimum was for OP that skis at 34mph and 22off.  Your ski will hold you and will be sufficient for you to eventually run the pass at 30.  Keep working on getting a good pull from side to side and stay on edge through the wake.

#7 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 7:30 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Just to be certain I have dropped 10 lbs and am now at 185 so that should help.

10 more pounds and it will be great.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#8 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 8:30 PM

arturo

jamisonsbrodie wrote:

arturo wrote:

jamisonsbrodie wrote:

Arturo,

Since you are working on 15 off, you will need to slow down below 32 mph until you can run the pass comfortably.  My recommendation of 32 minimum was for OP that skis at 34mph and 22off.  Your ski will hold you and will be sufficient for you to eventually run the pass at 30.  Keep working on getting a good pull from side to side and stay on edge through the wake.

Good to know!  Thx!

**ACS**

Board footer