Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 3:09 AM

jipster43
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

Mounting Fogman Releases to G10 Plate - Help!

Both my releases and the G10 plate came with double back tape at the mounting holes/screws.  Should I remove one of the layers of tape, or does it require both?

Thanks for any help provided!

JP smile

#2 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 3:43 AM

KM
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Mounting Fogman Releases to G10 Plate - Help!

I mounted my Fogman release units to a G-10 adapter plate.  You need to remove the double sided tape from either the plate or the release units.  You should use only one layer of 3M double sided tape and 4 screws/bolts to mount each release to the G-10 plate.  Then use the double sided tape to mount the G-10 plate to the ski.  One the reasons for the double sided tape under the release units is to keep the release pin at the correct vertical position so they engage the nylon toe blocks on your Fogman plate at a 90 degree angle.

To remove the G-10 plate from the ski, you need to heat up the G-10 plate with a hair drier to soften the double sided tape, then carefully peel the plate from the ski.  I recommend the G-10 plate be a thickness of 3/32" (0.093").

Last edited by KM (Sat, Jun 5, 2010 3:47 AM)

#3 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 4:04 AM

jipster43
Skis At:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/DSCN0687.jpg

Nope.  Let me try again....

JP smile

#4 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 4:08 AM

jipster43
Skis At:

There we go.  I think you can see what I'm talking about now.  Each surface has its own double back tape.  Should I remove the tape beneath the mounting screws or will that throw off the stack height for the release point?

Thanks for yer help KM.  I'm using interlock for the plate-to-ski adhesion.

JP smile

#5 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 1:21 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

JP I haven't seen the plate you're using before. What's the deal? The releases mount to that g10 plate and then you drill the plate to match your inserts?

#6 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 2:15 PM

jipster43
Skis At:

Mornin' Wade!  The releases mount to the g10 plate and the plate is mounted to the ski using interlock or double sided tape or I suppose you could drill and use the inserts as well.  I'm going with the interlock.  I bought the plate from Tad at H2Osmosis and he gave me great instructions for mounting them, but the multiple locations of mounting tape is creating a kunundrum and H2O is closed for the weekend, so I can't verify what to do through their expertise.

In the photo you can see that the bases of the release units have the double sided tape while the mounting location for the releases also have the double sided tape.  I'm assuming I need to remove the tape on one or the other, but I'm hesitant to do so before hearing from an authority.

Thanks!

JP smile

#7 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 2:43 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

"You should keep one layer of double sided tape under the release units to maintain the proper bullet height" is what I got when I talked to Fogman. This product is a third party project, and isnt endorsed by Fogman. Seems like a pretty good idea though.

Looking at the picture more I see there is tape on both the plate and the release units which is probably what your question is. I would imagine you would remove the tape from the release units. As long as the plate isnt recessed in a way that is unlike the top of the ski, the idea is to have one layer under the RU.. Otherwise tape to tape sounds kinda junk. I don't have any experience with this plate though.

#8 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 3:23 PM

jipster43
Skis At:

Thanks Wade!  I thought tape to tape sounded sketchy, but ya' never know.  I appreciate the help!

JP smile

#9 Sat, Jun 5, 2010 11:11 PM

KM

I agree with Wade.  Definitely remove the double sided tape from either the release units or the plate before mounting.

I would be cautious mounting the plate to the ski with 3M Dual Lock.  It might be possible to release both at the release units and at the plate.  Then your G-10 adapter plate and release units could end up at the bottom of the lake.  This is probably unlikely, but still a possiblity.  I use the same double sided automotive tape to mount my plate to the ski.  It also gives the plate a lower profile on the ski. 

Did you see there is also an aftermarket G-10 plate that replaces the aluminum plate that the boots are mounted to?  It has two small Dual Lock strips recessed into the underside of the plate to keep the middle of the plate attached to the ski.  Again, this is not a Fogman product.

#10 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 3:51 PM

jipster43
Skis At:

Thanks a ton fellas!  The bindings got mounted and skied on.  Everything worked and felt great... except my off-side!  Now to adjust the fin - expect more screams of help!

JP smile

Board footer