Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jun 1, 2010 10:36 PM

PatM
Skis At: South central Mass.
Foot Forward: Left

Ballast for 2009 196SN

I am trying to counterweight my 196sn.  What is the approximate weight with no observer and with one observer (130-190lbs)?  I am currently have put lead weights from my tire dealer in a new 5 gallon gas tank.  I am at a little under 90lbs and looking to add more, but how much?  Anyone with experience with this?  Thank for the Help.

Pat Morrill

#2 Tue, Jun 1, 2010 11:41 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Ballast for 2009 196SN

I would recommend you break your counterweight up into two equal quantities.  A very nice way is to have them sewn into a HEAVY-GAUGE canvas sack by a local tent & awning company.  Make them somewhere between 50 and 65 lbs each, and have handles sewn on as well.

Now, if you're just a skier and a driver you put both sacks on the observer side, as outboard as possible,  Since the driver sits a little inboard this ought to be more than enough weight.  But the real beauty of this idea comes up when you've occasionally got an extra person along for the ride.  Instead of having to heave 100+ lbs out of the boat and onto the dock (or centered in the boat or whatever), you simply move ONE of the sacks over behind the driver's seat and the two sacks equalize each other automatically.

A lot less weight to move around, and easier to take ALL weight out of the boat if so desired.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Tue, Jun 1, 2010 11:42 PM)

#3 Wed, Jun 2, 2010 12:59 AM

2gofaster

We all have 50 pounds hanging in the nose as far forward as it can go and tied to the base of the bow eye.  Then we have a 50 lb weight that goes against the passenger wall just under the edge of the observer seat.  The bow weight is very important on these boats.

Shane Hill

#4 Mon, Jun 14, 2010 2:05 PM

PatM
Skis At: South central Mass.
Foot Forward: Left

Thanks gentlemen, I will work on those ideas.
Pat Morrill

Board footer