Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, May 31, 2010 9:09 PM

pilsner
Skis At: Lake Anna, VA
Foot Forward: Right

New ski problems

Finally got to try my new Obrian Siege this weekend and had a great time but also a couple issues. I am a right foot forward and found that a spray of water was smacking the left side of my back leg shin. when cutting to the left or even some when going straight. After skiing 5 times this weekend I have a bruise. What could cause this? Boot position, speed, or something else?

Last edited by pilsner (Mon, May 31, 2010 9:10 PM)

#2 Mon, May 31, 2010 9:33 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

Re: New ski problems

I tend to think its body position in the offside turn as you don't really see any pros with "spray leg", but its likely also a combination of the ski, bindings, how they're setup, and building up tougher skin in that back caff muscle.

I always start the season off with a bruise on my back leg (right for LFF) and it gets better as the season progresses and eventually turns callous.

get used to it, take some lessons and/or buy a "spray leg" neo guard for the back leg & learn to take the ripping from you buddies

#3 Mon, May 31, 2010 10:20 PM

pilsner

As long as its somewhat normal that's all I was wondering. My dad and sister complained of getting sprayed in the face but I just told them to stop going straight. Thanks for the info, I will start playing with the binding locations next time out.

#4 Mon, May 31, 2010 11:35 PM

Killer

pilsner wrote:

As long as its somewhat normal that's all I was wondering. My dad and sister complained of getting sprayed in the face but I just told them to stop going straight. Thanks for the info, I will start playing with the binding locations next time out.

don't move your binders in a bid to decrease spray leg! that can serious affect your skiing (in a bad way) its something you are going to have to get used to.  move your bindings or fin ONLY if you are sure there is a problem with how the ski is setup. 

different skis, different bindings & the combo of the 2 do affect spray leg somewhat, if it really bothers you then put a spray leg on.

I don't really feel it anymore, almost a permanent callous there now & I don't ski for 6+ months out of the year. I've only skied 4 times this year and its there big time already

Last edited by Killer (Mon, May 31, 2010 11:39 PM)

#5 Tue, Jun 1, 2010 12:13 AM

pilsner

Thank you for the advice. I have never had a ski with movable bindings and want to see how forward/back makes a difference. From what I have read I want the bindings so the water breaks at the ball of my front foot. Is this correct?

#6 Tue, Jun 1, 2010 12:47 AM

Killer

pilsner wrote:

Thank you for the advice. I have never had a ski with movable bindings and want to see how forward/back makes a difference. From what I have read I want the bindings so the water breaks at the ball of my front foot. Is this correct?

no worries dude, where the water breaks is subjective based on how you're skiing and at what phase of the run you're in, eg. in the turn you want it breaking up at the front of the front binding, further back when you're cutting.

how you are skiing, your body alignment and posture on the ski will change how the water breaks and how much ski is in the water.  so making changes to the setup of the ski will affect how you ski to put it simply.   I don't believe in making changes to the ski setup without knowing exactly what you're doing, why and what the consequences of making the change is.

making a change to the ski's setup to change how the water breaks is the wrong approach, so is making a change to reduce spray leg. 

Find out whats happenning and why, and then what the change you are going to make to the ski is going to do.

Bindings are the first step in setup.  start at neutral and work from there 1 hole at a time.

#7 Tue, Jun 1, 2010 5:45 PM

ski6

Hi Pilsner
I recommend try skiing left foot forward or playing  Shaun Murray's Wakeboarding Unleashed game on playstation 2 as i have never encountered a spray burn problem on here
Hope this help!smile

#8 Tue, Jun 1, 2010 6:54 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Agreed, how you stand on, and ride the ski, has a much larger effect on the ski's attitude than moving the boots. If you are back foot heavy, or fall toward the tail when you turn, then you are not going to have a clear picture of what moving the boots may do. Don't worry too much about the ski, it's probably in the ballpark, pay more attention to what you are doing on the ski.

Ski6: Shaun Murray is  entertaining, but I can't stand the rugburn.

#9 Fri, Jun 4, 2010 1:39 AM

pilsner

There is no doubt in my mind that my skiing capabilities are way behind the ski. Doesn't help that I don't really know any skiers to provide criticism. My father and sister are happy free skiing and don't have any desire to ever try a course.

Board footer