Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, May 28, 2010 3:51 AM

2gofaster

32 goes down........

FINALLY! I've been flirting with it for the last month.  I've had a BAD sinus infection for the last 8 days so haven't skied. I was finally feeling decent today, and since we're having a 6 round tourney this weekend, decided I needed a set or two.  First set was average. 2nd set I changed to C2. I've been feeling like the boat was still on me after the 2nd wake for the last few weeks so I've migrated from A3, to B3 and decided to try C tonight.  I really noticed that the entire set seemed to feel slower, like I was carrying less excess speed into the apex. I still had plenty of space, just didn't have to try and deal with speed to bleed off.  The 28 and 32 were pretty good. Then got 1 at 35.  I sooo could have held onto that and gotten around 2 damnit. Not wanting to overdue it before the weekend I headed back to the dock after that.  Hard to believe that one year ago my pb was 2 at 28.

Shane Hill

#2 Fri, May 28, 2010 11:25 AM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

Re: 32 goes down........

2gofaster wrote:

FINALLY! I've been flirting with it for the last month.  I've had a BAD sinus infection for the last 8 days so haven't skied. I was finally feeling decent today, and since we're having a 6 round tourney this weekend, decided I needed a set or two.  First set was average. 2nd set I changed to C2. I've been feeling like the boat was still on me after the 2nd wake for the last few weeks so I've migrated from A3, to B3 and decided to try C tonight.  I really noticed that the entire set seemed to feel slower, like I was carrying less excess speed into the apex. I still had plenty of space, just didn't have to try and deal with speed to bleed off.  The 28 and 32 were pretty good. Then got 1 at 35.  I sooo could have held onto that and gotten around 2 damnit. Not wanting to overdue it before the weekend I headed back to the dock after that.  Hard to believe that one year ago my pb was 2 at 28.

congrats Shane, great skiing!

my pb is 2@28, so this is a promising story for myself.

what are the key ingredients that got you from that point a year ago to now?

#3 Fri, May 28, 2010 12:08 PM

Slicer_Al
Foot Forward: right

Awesome work, just reading your decription has me fired up to go out and catch some more bouys!

#4 Fri, May 28, 2010 12:59 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Congrats...Inspiring to see all that hard work pay off, Shane, and that you are reaping the fruits of your hard labor.  Knowing that you have been on an intense conditioning program, significant weight loss, and a new stick...can you identify how each has factored into such rapid progress?  Also, what is your age and did you end up going to a shorter ski after the weight loss?
Keep it going....

#5 Fri, May 28, 2010 1:21 PM

2gofaster

Thanks all! Dave, yes I dropped from a 67 to a 66 inch ski because of the weight loss.  Most definitely the conditioning that Jenny has been working with me on has had a HUGE effect. Where before, I'd be winded after 3 passes, my muscles will be tired long before my cardiovascular and respiratory system are taxed now.  The big thing is that I started skiing with a former Open Men competitor 6 weeks ago who really has pushed me and refined my skiing.  He's had me working on softening my knees so I stay stacked over the center of the ski, letting my arms relax so I can fall away from the boat into a real lean, and to let the ski do it's job and turn without me forcing it.  Oh and getting it through my thick skull that I didn't have to backside every buoy.

Shane Hill

#6 Fri, May 28, 2010 3:10 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Shane, great to hear you are PBing this early in the season. I'm sure you can get pretty far down that 35 pass by the end of the year.

Where's your Texas Summer Shootout Team?

#7 Sun, May 30, 2010 8:41 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond

Way to go Shane:) That is awesome what an accomplishment...  I wish you luck in your tournament 

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#8 Wed, Jun 2, 2010 12:56 AM

2gofaster

Ran 3 1/2 at 32 in four of the 6 rounds this weekend. Which is still a tournament pb.  But damn! On every single one of those, I came into 4 with a TON of space and just stared down the buoy, dropped my head, and augered in. Grrrr. Oh well.........I have another 6 rounder this weekend.  smile

Shane Hill

#9 Wed, Jun 2, 2010 3:47 AM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Way to slash Shane,
I wanted to jump in on the -32 action!! yesterday i ran my first lagit -32 it was on the top end of the tolerance using PP at 17.12 old guy speed 34mph. Great confidence builder at this point for me.
Even cooler than that is my 11 yr old daughter completely had a break out day yesterday. It was here second day on her new ski skiing the short course (trainer bouys) and she skied like she has never skied before 22 mph all six no prob. She is ready to start skiing the full course.
MC

#10 Thu, Jun 3, 2010 6:45 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond

Nice job in the tournament Shane... Hey our best can't always be in the tournament, but each and every round is an opportunity to get a PB... And you got a PB which doesn't always come in a year's time!!!  Nice Skiing:-)

MC, nice job on running a 32 and getting the feeling down.... And even more awesome about your daughter having a breakout day:-)  We have a little stud 9 year old at our lake right now who is ripping it up and got 4 PB's this weekend alone... I admire her so much!

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#11 Thu, Jun 17, 2010 1:49 PM

2gofaster

I've now run 32 a handful of times in the last week and started taking more gates at 35.  It's different! My coach actually had me put 15 off back in the set. I was hesitant at first. But he's got me starting the set with 15 and 22 with the same level of aggression as 32 and 35.  It's an interesting feeling to have 32 and 35 off lean and angle at 15 off.  That and upping the agression level at the pullout so I end up pylon high on the boat with my shoulders square to the course have been huge for me.

Shane Hill

#12 Fri, Jun 18, 2010 5:33 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

Shane, I think it's good that you put 15 back in the set.  I usually get into 35 and I still start out at 15.  In a tournament I get more confident with a few passes under my ski before I hit 32 which gets more difficult for me.               

And congrats on the 32 passes!  It's taken me 3 years to finally start running 32 pretty consistent

Aaron

Board footer