Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, May 21, 2010 1:07 PM

JohnE

ski length and height

Just reading the site and came across the ski size guide.  It says:

"Weight is the most important factor in choosing ski size, so if there is a conflict between weight and height, side with the recommended ski length for your weight.

There are always exceptions to the rule that need to be taken into account. For example, if you are 5'5" (165cm) tall and weight 200lbs (91kg), you should look for a 67" ski."

Can someone explain what height has to do with ski size?  I'm not doubting, just trying to understand.

#2 Fri, May 21, 2010 2:34 PM

EdJohnson

Re: ski length and height

John,

Height has a lot to do with "movement" of weight. A tall person has the ability to move Center of Mass more in the direction of travel.
Think of it as two people on a  teeter-totter that weigh 200lbs. One person is 5' and one 6'. The six foot person has the ability to lean back more at  the top of the swing and drive the teeter-totter down faster. Thus more leverage and greater Center of Mass movement.
As a taller, heavier person, I would want a ski with a Wide Forebody to absorb tip pressure. This translates to better acceleration and increased cross course angle.
As a further example, I am 230lbs and 6'4". I ski on a 66" Goode Wide Ride which performs great. If I were to ski on a normal width ski I would require a 68"-69" ski to get the same surface area. The longer ski would not turn as well or absorb the tip pressure as well thus decreasing my performance, especially at the shorter line lengths.

Hope This Helps,  ED

Board footer