Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, May 12, 2010 4:01 AM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Digital Caliper

I've never owned one but recognize the need to have one.  What do I need to look for in a digital caliper?  Will something as simple as this do for $16 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Titan-23175-Elect … B000B8XYV8 ??

Travis Ogden

#2 Wed, May 12, 2010 4:42 AM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Digital Caliper

I recommend the analog type ("dial caliper"), which are generally impervious to water and will never suffer battery failure at the wrong moment.  Also, for comparable levels of accuracy, analog calipers are usually less expensive.

Here's a good source - just choose "precision measuring" from the left-hand menu and then click on "calipers": http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm

Buy an 8-inch dial caliper in the ~$40 range and it will serve you well for many, many years:

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Wed, May 12, 2010 4:45 AM)

#3 Wed, May 12, 2010 12:12 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I coundn't see anything that displayed the Length of that Caliper on Amazon. As TW stated you must have an 8".

I agree with the dial calipers being a good choice. But, I have both and my analog (Dial) caliper has  very difficult #'ing to read on the neck and caused me several bad reads in Low lighting... 

If you choose to get a digital (Battery opperated) just make sure you tighten the set or lock screw after each use and while its being stored and it Will Not turn on accidently and trash your Battery...

The digital is much easier to see and opperate. But, the Battery will give out and leave you stranded some day. At least until you go to Radio shack and replace it...smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Wed, May 12, 2010 1:19 PM

ScotChipman

I like digital and have used this one www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-digital-caliper-47260.html  for years with no problems and it is only $30. One thing you want to do with digital is take out the battery after each use you will always have power. If you want to spend $125 I would buy www.slotcaliper.com

Scot Chipman

#5 Wed, May 12, 2010 1:58 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

That Amazon listing is for a 6" caliper. You need 8" to measure fin length.
There are a lot of people that are using the harborfrieght calipers, they seem
to do pretty well. You can spend $150 and more but I'm not sure that our application requires that extra extra degree of precision.

#6 Wed, May 12, 2010 2:46 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Harbor Freight caliper here, works great.

#7 Wed, May 12, 2010 3:00 PM

tjo

Thanks all!

Travis Ogden

#8 Thu, May 13, 2010 1:30 AM

EdJohnson

I have the same digital caliper that is used before grinding that is used for the $125.00 slot caliper. Still in plastic and hardshell case. Only $40.00 plus shipping............ED

#9 Thu, May 13, 2010 3:14 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

I have several callipers, ranging from $200.00 and less. I would have to say the Harbor Freight callipers are just as good as any. And the good thing is that if it gets damaged you can afford to throw it away and buy a new one. I would also get one of each, digital and analog. just for one at the house and in the boat, or just to double check if you are really concerned about the measurements.

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#10 Thu, May 13, 2010 4:35 AM

tjo

Ed, thanks for the offer.  I picked one up at Harbor Freight on my way home from work today.

Travis Ogden

Board footer