Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, May 9, 2010 3:15 AM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can
Foot Forward: Left

Ski Buying Questions

Hey guys, like probably all of us I am thinking of getting a new ski this year. Now I don't have the deepest pockets in the world so as much as I would like to go buy a brand new A1 or Strada I don't think that is possible at all. Now my question to all of you here is how should I go about this? I know ski-it-again.com is probably the best place to start for buying used. The only thing is the product descriptions are not the best. I tried looking up older ski specifications for HO but I could not find anything.

Right now I am skiing on a 2006 66" HO System 8 with Double Animal Boots. I have ridden a 2007 67" HO Monza for a short set but the bindings were too big so I didn't get a good feel on the ski but from what I could tell it was crazy fast and had a quick edge change. I also rode an RS-1 last year and did not really like that. I felt like I really had to work to get the ski to make an edge change and then also had to really work to get the ski to turn back towards the wakes. So that is about my experience on skis.

So the biggest question of mine is how should I go about this? I don't think the Monza has changed much through years but I don't remember and I can't find anything online about it. I only bring the Monza up because its really the only other ski that I have had a decent experience on (I am also just been partial to HO..). Does any one know of where I can find specs on older skis or does anyone here just know about older skis?

Also any suggestions on where I should lead my search for a new ski would be much appreciated. I am not married to HO Skis I have just always been around them and skied on one so that is why I have brought them up more frequently. I am near an Action Water Sports in SE Michigan and I stopped in there today to talk about demo programs and they do allow demos on older skis and do have a 67" '07 and '08 Monza in stock so I plan on riding those if at all possible but ski-it-again.com has cheaper prices smile

Sorry if that was really jumbled and makes no sense lol, the Red Wings are on and its hard to put a thought together right now. wink

Thanks guys.

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#2 Sun, May 9, 2010 1:08 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Ski Buying Questions

My personal opinion;

Budget is always my 1st priority in making purchases. Regardless of my Bank account, I always want the most "Bang for my Buck"!  If I cannot afford the optimum product for me @ this time, then how much is worth spending on a "temporary" fix for interim period. ( that's a personal choice...) In your case, your S/8 may need to be updated or it may simply need to be set up better. Or $$$ could possibly be better spent on sweetening your techinique. Has your ability out grown the ski?

Is your ski sized right for you and set up right for you? Are you skiing @ full speed for your Div. i.e. 36mph? If not, ski choice and size would be top priority. A Senate C may be the best choice for 34 mph or under. Are you skiing longer or shorter line?

The Monza "May" have "Seemed Crazy Fast" because of the bad fit of the looser Bindings. (just a thought...)

I believe most of us week end warriors could do fine on older un-abused equip. with great bindings and a great set up. Then spend the rest of the $$$ on some personal coaching from a Good pro, and lots of video...

But, New Stuff can be Beneficial and very inspiring!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Sun, May 9, 2010 4:40 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

I believe that the most important thing to do, if possible, when demoing a ski is to use your own bindings.

Secondly, if you have a good ski and not skiing properly, then get lessons. It is so much fun to ski properly, and so frustrating and rough on the body when we don’t.

Send someone a video of you skiing and ask them if you need lessons or a new ski. I also believe that until we are skiing consistently right, proven ski settings are most often the best.

You are welcome to send a clip to me and I will give you my two cents worth.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#4 Sun, May 9, 2010 11:59 PM

Andrew1988

Ah, I should have mentioned that I am 6'0" mayyybe 6'1" and pretty much right at 160lbs. I ski at 22' off and can run that at 34mph about 60% of time then I bump the boat up to  36mph. I have had a lesson last year with T-Gas but we just worked on technique and not set up. I know my fin is still at stock settings and my bindings are one hole forward.

I have a few videos but they are terrible quality or are from a polar bear ski event so as soon as I can get a couple decent sets under my belt this year I will someone tape me and I plan on doing a virtual coaching session.

#5 Mon, May 10, 2010 11:24 PM

3MLskier
Skis At: McClintocks & 3 Mile Lake
Foot Forward: RFF

IMO ,unless you can afford a top of the line ski like the Strada or A1 you might as well stick with what you have. The S8 is from the same mold as the Monza . The only difference is the core material. The S8 is a little softer therefore a little more forgiving.  The S8 might not be quite as fast as the Monza but it won't hold you back. I can get you set-up #'s for that size ski if you want to verify that it is indeed at stock setting's. I have an 05 S8 myself and it's a fine ski.

If you really do want a new ski then SIA is probably the best place to buy if you're looking for the best deal. The only downfall, is you can't try before you buy.I did see a 66"  A1 for $450 which is a steal.

Last edited by 3MLskier (Mon, May 10, 2010 11:38 PM)

#6 Tue, May 11, 2010 12:02 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I would recommend that you 1st check and log your present settings Before changing anything. It is fairly unlikely that your ski is actually @ Factory specs, even if you've never changed them. But, that's not to say your present settings are not good for you either...

The Recommended settings should work well for the most part and will serve as a good Base line for fine tuning if neccessary. Recommended settings will help the ski function optimally (as designed) and thus, will give you a measure of confidence in your ski and it's ability to perform.

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Tue, May 11, 2010 3:36 PM

slalomskier
Skis At:

I have a great 09 senate c for sale if you want to go with a new ski.

#8 Tue, May 11, 2010 4:50 PM

Pull-Hard

Here is another option for you? Wiley's has new ski's with factory blemishes (never know unless you are shown the blemish) for a fair amount cheaper. Good luck. The S8 is a great ski though and I would caution just buying a new one because! Good luck and here is the link:
http://www.wileyski.com/

#9 Tue, May 11, 2010 11:58 PM

Andrew1988

Thanks for the input guys. I do plan on logging all of my sets and settings once I get skiing this summer, and I buy a caliper.

3MLskier if you could get me those numbers that would be awesome. I have never touched my fin so I am sure it has moved alittle bit.

#10 Thu, May 13, 2010 3:28 AM

3MLskier

Andrew,

For 66" Monza/S8 : Length=6.83 ( use caliper tips), Depth=2.512, DFT=0.715 , Wing @8.5 degrees . Bindings= Front Heel 28.875 to 29 "

Hope the S8 works out for you. Have a great season.

#11 Thu, May 13, 2010 4:36 PM

Andrew1988

Thank you. I am guessing you take the front binding measurement from the tail of the ski?

#12 Fri, May 14, 2010 9:13 PM

3MLskier

Andrew1988 wrote:

Thank you. I am guessing you take the front binding measurement from the tail of the ski?

You are correct

Board footer