Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, May 6, 2010 2:09 PM

kstateskier

Who cycles?

Last fall I got bit by the cycling bug! Bought a new road bike (man they can be expensive!) bought a trainer and rode all winter.  Been riding 2 days a week (50-60 miles) and I can't believe the difference its made in my skiing!

Anyone else road bike? I know alot of pros mtn bike as a form of cross training.  Just thought I'd throw it out there, seemed kinda slow around here?!

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#2 Thu, May 6, 2010 2:54 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Who cycles?

I've been a roadie for many years.  Last year I got back into mtn biking, but I still have my road bike and ride it several times each week.  You can't beat the convenience of it since you can walk out your front door and ride, and it's a more consistent workout than the mtn option.  Wish I could walk out my front door and waterski!!

A couple of waterski sets in the morning before work is still the best way to start a day IMO, however, a good road bike ride would probably be the second best way to start the day, and due to convenience that's the one I do most often!

Travis Ogden

#3 Thu, May 6, 2010 3:36 PM

kstateskier

and I see you live in Utah, crazy scenery out there!  I'd like to mtn bike moab someday!

KstateSkier

#4 Thu, May 6, 2010 4:08 PM

tjo

Granted I am biased, but Utah rocks!!  I've got endless options by way of outdoor activities here.  Moab is fun for many things...you should do it some day.

Travis Ogden

#5 Thu, May 6, 2010 4:20 PM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn
Foot Forward: RFF

I ride about 200 miles a week, been trying to do at least 50 miles of 6% climbing a week.  Training for the Mountain Lakes Challenge, http://www.mountainlakeschallenge.com/  100 Miles- 7,000 vertical feet!

I combine cycling, gym 3 days a week and dirt biking 2 days a week.  Lets just say that after my first 2 full days of skiing this year I wasn't sore at all and have already ran my PB

I would say you can't go wrong with Cycling it can be very addicting, beautiful and fast descents are a rush.

#6 Thu, May 6, 2010 4:57 PM

kstateskier

I love riding hills on the bike too! We have a highway here outside of Springfield called the "Ozark Mountain High Road" and its only 7.2 miles long but its got 6 monster hills in it...  Its a scenery highway built to cut from 65 to historic highway 76 outside of Branson.  About twice a month i hit that route and ride it down and back, 14.4 miles with 12 climbs (6 in and 6 out) and some huge descents, you can get the bike up to 45-50mph on them, its a rush!  Tour of Missouri used this route as its time trial a few years back and the pro riders complained about how steep it was!

KstateSkier

#7 Thu, May 6, 2010 6:01 PM

cliveous

I started riding a bike last month trying to gain fitness and strength after seven months out with achilles avulsion fracture. Got up to 18 miles some hills and gravel trails, nothing like what kstateskier does. Got to say the calfs are building up nicely and the thighs are firm again. hopefully after more surgery next week I will get on the water sometime in June.

#8 Thu, May 6, 2010 6:36 PM

tjo

Essvar, you are da man! That's an impressive workout regime.  200 miles a week is some serious time in the saddle.  I worked out all winter (including riding when the temp was in the teens) and my first couple of sets felt really good this year.  However, unlike you I WAS SORE the next day...actually the next couple of days:/

Travis Ogden

#9 Sat, May 15, 2010 8:14 PM

6more4me

I don't put in as many miles as some of the road riders but try to mountain bike a few days a week. Last month I was on a single track and got into a rhythm that got me day dreaming about slalom skiing, now when I can't hit the water I hit the down hill.

Board footer