Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, May 2, 2010 12:43 AM

BrianM
Skis At: the cottage
Foot Forward: Right

Keeping your feet warm with a drysuit?

I just bought an Eagle drysuit and will be picking up a pair of O'Neill Psycho gloves to keep my hands warm (I've heard they're awesome).

What do you guys use to keep your feet warm/dry? Anything out there similar to the Psycho gloves for your feet?

I currently have Connelly Drafts so they're an open toe binding.

Brian
PS. I've also read that using a pair of Nitrile Gloves underneath really keeps your hands dry.

#2 Sun, May 2, 2010 4:23 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Keeping your feet warm with a drysuit?

Brian,
One key to keeping warm is keeping heat from escaping. There are neoprene hats that do that well.
Another good thing is quickly warming up the things that get cold. You can replace a petcock in your engine with a nipple that will accept a garden hose with a sprayer at the other end. The driver can hand the skier the sprayer as he pulls up beside you. You can warm your hands and feet. When you get out of the water, mix some lake water with the hot water in a plastic dish pan and warm your feet before putting on your neoprene boots.
I have not used hard shell boots with liners in the winter, but my guess would be that those would be the warmest. Of course before you put your feet in rubber boots, warm them with the hot water sprayer. This will keep your feet from getting cold as fast.
For people that just free ski, I have heard of running a vinyl hose along the rope with one end hooked up to the hot water and some sort of a sprayer in the “Y” of the rope to spray your hands.
But, as I said, start with a good hood to keep you heat in. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3406.htm

Last edited by BudMan (Sun, May 2, 2010 4:24 PM)

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#3 Sun, May 2, 2010 4:49 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

That's a Cool site Budman! They got some Boardies, compression shorts,etc...

I wonder if these socks (Link below) from that site would help keep the feet warm-er with open toe'd bindings?

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3969.htm

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sun, May 2, 2010 4:49 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Sun, May 2, 2010 7:42 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Seal skin socks, they are water proof put them on first and then the dry suit, they work awsome!!!!!
I don't know if there is an REI where everyone is at, but they are thin like a sock so they don't really hinder getting into the boot to much.

They were around 15-20 dollars for a pair.  I think they were designed for hikers who cross creeks and streams.

Todd

#5 Sun, May 2, 2010 7:44 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

The best way to keep your feet warmer is to reduce water flow through the boot. The easiest way to do this is with a closed toe boot. If you don't want to go to some kind of hardshell, you may consider switching to a Wiley's front when it gets too cold.

#6 Sun, May 2, 2010 7:54 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

http://www.sealskinz.com/

Ebay and Amazon have them.

#7 Sun, May 2, 2010 8:09 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

Keep in mind that dry and warm are not synonymous. Just keeping your feet dry does not mean that they will be warm. HO410 has a good point about closed toe Wiley’s boot, but what about the back. One numb foot is enough to stop most from skiing. I would still guess that a hard shell with moldable liners would be the warmest choice.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#8 Sun, May 2, 2010 11:47 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

a lot of hot water and some sort of thin booties might help your current set up. Or do what i did!! i went from animals to Radar RS1 and i have never had cold feet while skiing since that day. I soak the liners in hot water and my feet stay warm even in 38degree water they are so worth it not to mention the performance of the boot compared to my Animals is crazy good. They are a lot of money but the comfort factor alone in the spring and fall have been so worth it.
MC

#9 Mon, May 3, 2010 12:35 AM

CoreyHumburg
Skis At: The Farm

I recommend letting your feet stay cold. It toughens you up, adds hair to your chest and makes a man out of you!

I believe in 3 things: Peace, Love & Waterskiing.

#10 Mon, May 3, 2010 2:19 AM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph

corey is totally right thats what i do!

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#11 Mon, May 3, 2010 7:25 PM

tjo

I second the recommendation for RS-1 bindings.  I've never had cold feet with those bindings.  I also purchased the O'Niel Psycho gloves over the winter and used them this spring.  I was worried they'd bunch up too much in the palm while pulling on the rope, but they surprised me by performing better than expected.  Still not as good of a feel with the handle as regular ski gloves, but it's worth the trade off when skiing in really cold water.  My hands were toasty warm in those gloves.  Buy them so that they fit nice and snug on your hands to help on the performance side.

Travis Ogden

#12 Mon, May 3, 2010 8:07 PM

skibrain

We bring a small cooler of hot water in the boat.  Quick dunk of hands and feet before and after a run works great.
Neoprene headband or full wetsuit hood recommended up top.  Wiley's boots but feet still get a bit cold.  HANDS are the weak link and quickest to fatigue in the cold. I bought some neo paddling/ice fishing gloves but they don't have enough structure to work for slalom.  40 air and 37 water is about the coldest I've  been in.

Turned down an offer to ski in March this year. It would have been a new PR for me here in MN, but I couldn't get away from work...

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/5801146/133950170.jpg

Last edited by skibrain (Mon, May 3, 2010 8:08 PM)

#13 Tue, May 11, 2010 12:58 AM

greg
Skis At: Arvin, CA
Foot Forward: left

Another vote for the cooler of warm water. 

Be sure to dunk your hands and feet before AND after your set for best results.   

I tried it for the first time this winter and am a big fan of this technique (and can't believe I didn't think of it earlier).

Board footer