Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 2:58 AM

MarcusBrown

Help MarcusBrownTV Get Better

Let me know if any of you out there have any input (good/bad) as to what you think would make the show better, or what needs to change.

Thx for checkin it out, if you already have!

MB

#2 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 4:35 AM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Help MarcusBrownTV Get Better

Hey Marcus!

I love what you are doing.  You are a true pioneer.  I have watched every one of your webcasts.  You're sticking your neck out, and showing us what real faith and love for the sport is.....

That said, I'll throw some ideas out.  As a person who has produced a number of shows, there is a rule, which is, To an audience, 1 second seems like 1 minute, and 1 minute seems like 1 hour.  So keep things moving, or the audience (who always has A.D.D.) will soon lose interest, and their attention WILL quickly wander.  I would much rather watch a 30 min. "tight" show, than a 45 min. show with lots of "lulls" in it....just my opinion.  As the MC, keep the guests on a tight path, or wrap it up.

Also, I know you have said you don't want the show to get too "technical".  I bet if you went (on any given summer saturday) to every dock in the country, you would find that the great majority of conversations amongst skiers IS Technique. I think that we feed on it.  Don't be afraid of it.  We are your audience.

I would love to hear the different pro's (who appear on the show, or in the audience) different opinions for each of their technique's (like gates/load methods/etc.) and how they think (i.e. "goals" etc.) in the course.  It would be very interesting to hear them converse with each other some of their own concepts, and why they believe, what they believe.  You have the perfect format for that to happen.

Keep up your great work.  I really respect what you are doing, and know you are really trying  hard, and doing your best. 

BTY, your girlfriend is awesome, and gives great advice.

Continued success, and THANKS!!

-Dan Birch

#3 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 11:17 AM

GarrettGroller
Foot Forward: Right

Marcus,

You're doing a great job and I appreciate your efforts. I never have a chance to watch the shows live but I catch the re runs.

I'd also like to hear more about technique.

Thanks,

Garrett

#4 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 1:49 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

MB,
I'm new to the whole competitive side of skiing so for me. Hearing about what the Pro's are doing and skiing at is flipping awesome! I've learned so much about the other side of the sport then anything. However, i still think it would be awesome to talk about technique danbrich is right "we feed of it" but, of coarse i wouldn't have a whole show on technique and i understand when you say that you can't give all you're secrets away, and i wouldn't want you to. you are a coach. I'd save most of your coaching for on the water. smile but yeah, a little every now and then would be SA-WEET! also, the guests that you get to join are awesome keep on that! I think it'd be cool if you could like put up some footage of the guest skier before he/she comes on. kinda like a sick intro for the guest.

I love to see the passion in every skiers eyes who comes on and a lot of time I can feel the excitement that you guys feel. i mean you're job is to ski! its insane! and the fact that y'all don't really take that for-granted is pretty gnarly! Also love your motives for growing the sport. and i firmly believe that we need to open up the sport! the more people we can get to see this show the better the sport will become. But in order to reach out and spread this addiction that we're all feeling we need to show off the sport in a way that's even more than just word of mouth. A lot of times i feel like skiers only talk to other skiers about skiing... and why?? if we're gonna grow the sport we need to talk to non skiers about skiing! So, basically what i'm saying is... i think we all. (not just you) need to advertise you're show more to help hook people to skiing!

To kinda tie in what i am saying, i think if you can, put on some footage of skiers to help show of our sport. because its one thing to talk about skiing, but its another to show it off. especially in the eyes of a beginner/new/non skier. They probably get really confused and bored when just hearing people talking about skiing. So, yeah, if you can, add some footage of skiing in your show. I think it'd keep everyone on the edge and ready to talk about our passion.

-Stephen plotz

Last edited by Pl0tz (Tue, Apr 27, 2010 1:53 PM)

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#5 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 4:14 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Marcus,

Thank you for what you are doing! It's a huge time commitment on your part. Finding good guests (that want to be in front of a crowd of people) and content can be tuff. One thing I noticed when you were interviewing CP was that you did most of the talking and didn't give Chris ample time for a response. It also seemed like you were interviewing Jamie B. more than Chris. Like Dan Birch said, maybe a little tighter approach and yeah, we are a bunch of techies, so you'll never hear me cry about the technical side of things. Next time you talk to JB, tell him to get out from behind the computer and get in front of it! He sounds like he'd be a fun interview. Thanks again for all that you're doing for the sport!!!

#6 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 8:23 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

I think  a live show combined with pre-recorded stuff would rule. I'd love to see what it's like in the MB boat when you guys are taking a shred on the water. Candid dock and boat footage. Mount the camera to the windshield, looking back and into the cockpit for a whole set. The cut it up and bring it to the people. With FifteenoffTV, we're showcasing what a bunch of weekend warriors do on and off the water. I think seeing what happens in your practice sets and just screwing around on the boat looks and sounds like would be really neat.

#7 Wed, Apr 28, 2010 6:44 PM

WesternSkier

MB,

I waited til the show was over and watched the whole episode from start to end after gettin a small glimpse.  Cool idea and has a TON of potential!

You talked with Taylor Garcia alot about bringing skiing back to the public lakes and getting more people involved.  Just a thought on this whole idea...But you've gotten the perspective of a young gun, we've all gotten your perspective on one way (face2face tour) and getting back to public lakes, might be a good idea to talk with someone whose older and been around the sport for 30+ years to give insight into ideas they have used in the past, what works, what didn't, what they would have done differently.  This way we get an overall perspective on things that could be done differently so we don't make the same mistakes. 

I will definitely be tuning in each Monday and recruiting other to do the same.  Try to have the CRB get on your show, that'd be a riot...

-Cheers!

#8 Wed, Apr 28, 2010 8:53 PM

MarcusBrown

Great input folks!  Will definitely try to take it all in and run with this input!

Stoked to have people as excited about it as I am.  I think thats the problem sometimes with the show:  I'm not the greatest speaker, I get excited...and suddenly we're off topic, or I'm speaking over my guest and defeating the purpose of the whole show!

I'll try to settle down. 

Thanks again everyone for the input!  And for the support! 

Cris Kodiak should be a great show next monday....hopefully something a little different!

MB

#9 Wed, Apr 28, 2010 9:08 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

You're doing a great job! Most of us wouldn't even think about sitting down and broadcasting let alone to talk in front of a crowd of our own peers. I'm sure it has to be nerve racking. You'll fall in to your groove!  cool

#10 Wed, Apr 28, 2010 9:35 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

I concur with everything said.  keep at it and build on what you have done so far.   Would love to see you on the water, in a boat, on the dock, etc. just keep promoting the hell out of it Marcus!

see y'all Monday

#11 Wed, Apr 28, 2010 9:41 PM

Jim5

I agree, we all are interested to hear more about techique...or more appropriately, techniques. There's not just one way. Important, however, we're not all short-line skiers. In my life, I doubt my ski rope will ever attach to the pilon on the 38-off section with me at the other end of it. There are a boat-load of us out there who ski, struggle to ski, at 15 or 22-off, and 30-32 mph.
There's some video on the net of you and also Seth skiing 15-off at 30mph. Analyze that for those of us who are there. Talk about how you change edges, pull across the wakes, etc. differently at a slower speed and longer line length. What should we change or be aware of as we change conditions: increasing speeds, shortening the rope.
And more from Jenny on diet, Paleo, recipes, and sugar (the fattening of America...).
LOVE IT, keeping doing it.

#12 Thu, Apr 29, 2010 2:02 PM

slalomskier
Skis At:

Marcus I think that having a cool intro clip would look really professional, and be a good start to every show.  maybe a youtube video segment in the show waterskiing related or not.  Maybe as a future guest someone from the wakeski scene and how there progressing that side of the sport.  Keep up the good work I love watching your show.

#13 Fri, Apr 30, 2010 2:35 AM

rhsprostar

Marcus
Great work on the show, it’s great to be able to relate to the people at the top of the sport as opposed to just seeing pictures in a mag.
I agree with many of the others in that your average “Joe” viewer wants to see more technique related content in order to be able directly apply it to their own skiing.  I wouldn’t worry about giving away to many coaching secrets.  If anything I think that it would make people realize that they really could benefit from a few on the water lessons from a professional.  Guest coaches would be awesome also, like Rini or Stisher or someone like that.  Maybe you could even find a video volunteer for some virtual coaching on the show!  It would give everyone an idea of how it works and how it they could benefit from it.
You could also do a more formatted show on regular basis.  Maybe open with some cool video footage, go to a guest, finish up with some coaching/technical tips?
Anyway it’s all good brother….keep up the good work, love the show.
Rob

#14 Fri, Apr 30, 2010 4:04 AM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Marcus,
Everything your doing is great to put it lightly. I agree some short video clip to kick off the show would rock (skiing, biking, rock climing, skydiving, surfing, snowmobiling etc).
       Have you thought about some SVA or (short video analysis) for one viewer every or every other week all ages all levels of skiers?? Do an analysis of them skiing while broadcasting the show?? This would give everyone watching a little insight to your sound tech advise?? I dont want to take away from virtual coaching but i think 2 or 3 minutes of live feedback for all to see and hear would really draw peeps in and keep them until the end of your show when you would announce next weeks winner for SVA (short video analysis)??? You could also do some pro video analysis???
       This could really increase viewership and keep them tuned in until the end of the show to see if they are next weeks winner for SVA, this may also increase virtual coaching and even build on booking more FTF stops.
Just my 2 cents keep up the good work it is very sick!!!
MC

Last edited by MChilcutt (Fri, Apr 30, 2010 4:10 AM)

#15 Sun, May 2, 2010 12:41 PM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

Hey Marcus. Wonderful at what u are doing, its great to here about different styles with variuos skiers. Dont know how u keep coming up with topics to discuss , but keep up the good work.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#16 Mon, May 3, 2010 9:32 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Looking forward to seeing Kodiak tonight. The episodes are moving in the right direction. I think more video dropped in, from old pro events and also new material would be great. The question and answer / technique section is great but if you really want to see a topic discussed, post a question here and we will cover it during the show. Get your friends online tonight at 9PM Eastern 6 Pacific and we'll keep things moving in the right direction!

#17 Tue, May 4, 2010 3:58 AM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

This makes three mondays in a row i have been at the lake skiing during the broadcast just happens to be a thing with the weather the last three weeks monday have been really good. I will be tuned in next week if im not skiing really miss the show!!!
MC

#18 Tue, May 4, 2010 1:06 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

ahhh 4 weeks i've missed cuz i keep getting scheduled to work evenings!! the re-runs just arnt the same... sniff. sniff. hmm

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#19 Tue, May 4, 2010 2:43 PM

Killer

best episode yet Marcus!!!!   There were some technical difficulties, not sure if it was my end or yours.

I would like to make another suggestions.  First I HATE commercials, I watch most of my TV online without any.....

BUT, Its tough sitting down for an hour and not moving, I just don't want to miss anything!   Maybe a few breaks during the show would be good?   it can help you plan for your next segment and let us all have a bio/beer break.

maybe throw up a short youtube skiing clip 1-2mins
my 2 pennies

#20 Tue, May 4, 2010 5:57 PM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can

I like the short break idea and it wouldn't be really be a commercial if they were short clips of slalom videos. We would actually be interested in those smile

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#21 Tue, May 4, 2010 6:12 PM

MarcusBrown

I like it all....great ideas folks.  We will try our best to implement where we can.  Stoked on all the input tho....

And I know none of you have asked yet (which seems really weird to me), but YES, I am hoping to get some Women on the show soon!!....gotta change it up a little

mb

#22 Sat, May 8, 2010 5:21 AM

azza308
Skis At: not short enough

MB, Love what your doing with the show man. Keep doing what your doing, its gr8 to see someone out there promoting our awesome sport. I have a few ideas which i think would make a gr8 segment on the show. I know you dont wanna get to technical in your shows but i would love to see a side by side video comparison of different ski styles with your input and thoughts on each. Would also love to hear the guests talk about how they started skiing say be it with their family when they were your or maybe their first experience watching a pro event.
thats just my 2 cents. Love the whole idea of the show, you should be rewarded for all the time and effort you put into the sport
cheers mate. Azza

SLOW IS SMOOTH
SMOOTH IS FAST

#23 Tue, May 11, 2010 3:40 PM

slalomskier
Skis At:

Hey marcus great show last nite loved the intermissions really kept my attention better then just talking the whole time, keep up the good work.

#24 Tue, May 18, 2010 6:28 AM

MarcusBrown

Alright...lets have some discussion topics and/or questions for next weeks show for Heath Voss.

#25 Tue, May 18, 2010 2:37 PM

Killer

How about some of the typical stuff like how did Heath get into skiing?
where abouts and what was it like? ( I like relating to lake communities, esspecially seeing as he's a southern Canadian from Minn)
how often does he ski now during his SX season and off season?
who does he ski with usually?
does he have any insight on making skiing more popular?
any similarities to SX or motor-vehicle racing in general?

Board footer