Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 2:57 AM

Whiteout01
Skis At: Private Site
Foot Forward: LF

How many extra holes are safe in a Fischer 68" Yellow

Hi, I just picked up a used Fischer 68" Yellow and the guy told me it had a few extra holes, HOLEY SMOKES it has a total of 45 holes.  I assumed worst case maybe 10 extra holes plus the 13 stock holes with inserts, I should have asked.  Under the front binding it has 21 extra drilled holes (one is .250" dia.) plus the 6 stock insert holes.  Under the rear binding it has 11 extra drilled holes plus the 7 stock inserts holes.   I would love to try this ski but I'm terrified it's going to break in half on me.  I'm 5' 7" 180lbs and run 32 off 34 MPH and make my 35off about 50% of the time.  I'm not exactly a smooth skier, I tend to muscle my way through the course way more then I would like to admit, so that makes me even more nervous.  I'll call Jody Fischer tomorrow and see what he thinks.  I’m Mechanical Engineer so my gut says send it back.  Does anyone know what product Goode uses to fill the holes on their refurbished skis?  Has anybody had a ski with this many extra holes?  Any one had a ski break?  If so what manufacture and what caused it?  Let me know.   Thanks Much.

#2 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 4:41 AM

Shark

Re: How many extra holes are safe in a Fischer 68" Yellow

We use west system epoxy and a carbon fiber filler. Looks really good but it's a bit of work.  Never had that many though, and on a new school ski (icon of your choice).

#3 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 12:15 PM

2gofaster

I've used West Systems G/Flex epoxy on skis before.  You can get it at West Marine stores.  That said, that's a LOT of holes and I'd say that's a bit of deceptive selling. If it were me, I'd be sending it back.

Shane Hill

#4 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 12:33 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

2gofaster wrote:

that's a LOT of holes and I'd say that's a bit of deceptive selling. If it were me, I'd be sending it back.

I agree with Shane. Not to mention, you already have concerns and 2nd thoughts and will undoubtably never ski with a full confidence...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 2:50 PM

EdJohnson

A quick fix is JB Weld, however, it is not worth ending your ski career if this thing breaks in half.

#6 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 3:11 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Wow. That's a lot of extracurricular drilling. For me, I've got to wonder about the condition of the ski, if only for the reason that the the owner drilled into a ski that has factory inserts for HO/Obrien and D3/Connelly bindings. Then again, I am the kind of person that cannot accept modifying a $1,000 to $2,000 ski when you can drill a chunk of aluminum to your heart's content with very few consequences.

#7 Wed, Apr 28, 2010 2:22 AM

Whiteout01
Skis At: Private Site
Foot Forward: LF

Guys, I appreciate the advice and I'm going to send it back tomorrow.  I just don't want to take the chance of it breaking and being laid up all summer.  I'll try to attach a two pictures.  I just wish he would have told me how many holes it had.  He just said he mounted his old HO bindings I assumed 12 extra holes at the most not 32.  That's why I paid with PayPal.  Thanks Again,

Board footer