Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Apr 23, 2010 2:02 AM

lfredlund

Rope pulling out of my hand

Help!   I'm so frustrated.   I've been slalom skiing with a deep water start (two feet in bindings) for about 15 years.   We just got a new inboard ski boat and the rope is pulling out of my hands before I plane on the ski.   What am I doing wrong?   I skied behind a i/o before.  Any suggestions????

#2 Fri, Apr 23, 2010 1:15 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Re: Rope pulling out of my hand

first guess is you maybe can  blame someone else...in this case driver error.   If the driver was also used to the i/o and not accustomed to the substantially more powerful  inboard, there is no need to "put the hammer down" w/ the throttle.  Have him think more about "rolling the throttle on" rather than pinning it down.  If you regularly have the same driver, give him or her plenty of feedback til you guys are in synch.
Next step would be to modify your start technique...a couple good threads on this forum w/ regard to that.

#3 Fri, Apr 23, 2010 1:57 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

"We just got a new inboard boat"

Well there's your answer!
The initial engaging of the throttle needs to be patient and progressive.
For a while, your driver will feel like it is too slow, but it will feel perfect to you.

#4 Fri, Apr 23, 2010 5:41 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

1)    As they have said before, skier – driver communication is important. I believe in saying; “ O.K. driver, pull.” And if there is slack in the rope say; “ Driver, in gear” then say,” O.K. pull”. You need to agree ahead of time on hand signals. Refer to the standard published ones.
2)    With the driver seeing all is clear in front of boat, they then can watch you in the mirror to give gas as needed.
3)    Hold the handle as you would a baseball bat. This will keep the handle from rolling out of your hands.
4)    With the handle level, your left hand should be over the handle and your right hand under. This has nothing to do with getting up but will help balance your pulls. If you do not understand, let me know and I will explain further about off side/on side.
5)    You should pull the ski under you and as close to the surface as you can while keeping the tip out of the water. Keep in mind that is where you eventually want it. (on the surface)
6)    Now this tip has helped many people. Hold the handle down to your front boot. You will not be able to keep it there, but it will give the first initial pull on your ski to help get it out of the water.
7)    As you are being pulled out of the water DO NOT rush standing up. You will only push you ski under the water.
8)    Good luck and ski safely.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#5 Fri, Apr 23, 2010 5:54 PM

snow1122

I ski behind an I/O. And since there is less drag you probably got pulled faster and easier compared on a inboard.
I pull my husband 210lbs at 46mph barefooting and at 34mph slalom skiing with no issues.
When we ski behind an inboard we have to be more patient behind the boat, it feels more drag.
For the driver is all about handling the throttle to feel the difference on handling two different type of boats and for you the skier wait a little longer until you get the ski to plane.

Happy skiing.

#6 Fri, Apr 23, 2010 11:12 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Since your 15 yrs. into it, I know you can do it and so do you!

WTS, The only things that stand out to me is maybe some impatience on your part trying to stand up too soon or a little impatience on the drivers part. (This is more then likely the culprit.) Most i/o's are very sluggish out of the Hole and need to be Hammered pretty hard with the throttle. But, inboards are very powerful like a 4x4 in Low range. So, as stated above, the driver really needs to learn how to begin to gently and progressively pull skiers up.

If done right, it's such a nice progressive pull that it takes almost No effort on the part of the skier. (I actually conentrate on relaxing and not expending any energy while being pulled up.) But, it is team work and does require skier/driver feedback until your both on the same page... (this will be true for every other skier behind the boat as well.)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Sun, Apr 25, 2010 12:13 PM

GarrettGroller

The same thing happened to me my first several attempts behind a ski boat with an inexperienced driver. You can't hammer the throttle down fast like you would with an i/o. In fact, I only need half the throttle to get out of the water.

#8 Thu, May 27, 2010 3:35 AM

Sully
Skis At: Mint Lake

Had a similar situation myself. Stick to the basics. Stay in a ball and keep your legs in tight to your chest until you plain or even longer. Also, like others have said, try slowing the way your driver pulls you out of the hole. These two solved my problem.

2008 Malibu Response LXi Currently working on 28 at 36, Ripping with the Strada!

#9 Thu, May 27, 2010 3:59 AM

SethStisher
Foot Forward: Lefty

As I think was stated, but to reiterate, it is super important that even if the driver uses full throttle (which may be necessary), he or she should do so progressively!!!  Smoothe is key!

And I love the comments about communicating with the driver...I second that!

#10 Fri, May 28, 2010 3:19 AM

Chef23

It is definitely driver error.  You need to give it progressive throttle.  With the I/O the driver is probably just nailing it and it takes time to get up to speed.  With the new inboard if someone nails it the handle will definitely get pulled out of your hands.

When we got the Malibu I currently have my Dad hadn't skied in probably 7 years.  Our next door neighbor drove for my Dad and he couldn't get out of the water and was very frustrated.  I took him out the next time and he got right up.  It is all about the driver.

#11 Fri, May 28, 2010 3:55 AM

Thomas Wayne

I have a friend who comes out to our lake occasionally, and he always yells: "Punch it!" when he wants to be pulled up.  He's just a beginning course skier, but every time he yells "Punch it!" I notice an angel on my one shoulder saying "come on now, you be nice..." and a devil on my other shoulder just aching to slam that throttle.

It's like my other buddy who always yells: "Any time" - sometimes I'm tempted to wait until next Friday.

TW

#12 Fri, May 28, 2010 2:28 PM

moomanoid

I had a friend who kept on taking one hand off to give a thumbs up to the driver when he wanted to go! As soon as the boat went into gear he would rush to get his hand back on the handle and more often than not, fail to get up.

AFter doing this for 5 or 6 attempts I told him just to shout when he is ready, I couldn't believe he didnt figure this out for himself sooner!

#13 Fri, May 28, 2010 2:42 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

"Punch it!"
Not my lingo. With an unfamiliar driver, I usually call "Gently!"

#14 Fri, May 28, 2010 3:20 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

"make 'er talk!" is one of my faves

but I generally just yell "GEAR" then "OKAY"

#15 Fri, May 28, 2010 3:58 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

make it happen capn'

#16 Thu, Aug 5, 2010 2:30 AM

Skier16

I had the exact same problem, but calling it driver error when the inexperienced driver is your wife can cause other issues.  My solution was a $60.00 pair of gloves.  It let me get the grip to hold on no matter what the pull was.  The rest was me making adjustments by bending my knees more for the slow drag or pulling right back for the full throttle pull.  Have fun,

#17 Thu, Aug 5, 2010 1:51 PM

tzorn

I tend to agree with needing to have the driver tone down the pull too.  I'm pretty big (6'3", 230 lb), ski an A1, and occassionally ski behing my in-laws I/0 with a V8.  It can  barely get me out of the water, and only can if we weight the bow with people, firewalling the throttle, and I still dredge the lake for awhile before emerging from the depths.  Another item could be that if you were attaching the rope to the transom on your I/O, and now have it attached to a pylon in the center of the boat at the same line length, that may make it feel like you're getting pulled up and out quite a bit faster making it harder to hold onto the handle.  It's like you just shorteded the rope 8 - 10'.  When I do a deep water start, I feel like I come up a lot faster at a line lenght of 28' off, than I do at 15 or 22' off, and the only variable that changed is the rope length.  Changing from an I/O to an inboard is a big variable to change!  I free ski alot too pretty choppy conditions, and especially then, having the driver idle first, to start tracking/balance really helps, ... then I just say OK when ready and the drivers takes over.  I'm sure you'll get dialed in pretty quick with your driver, and enjoy the new ride!

#18 Thu, Aug 5, 2010 3:05 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake

Killer wrote:

"make 'er talk!" is one of my faves

but I generally just yell "GEAR" then "OKAY"

"SPANK IT!"

#19 Fri, Aug 13, 2010 8:14 PM

BobbyV

You and the driver need to count to 5.  Think about throttling up slowly to your up-and-out speed in about 5 (long) seconds.  And a pair of "Clincher"type gloves work.  Works for me.  5'10", 255 lbs, behind a Sanger V8!

Vamanos!

#20 Wed, Aug 18, 2010 4:08 PM

SC_swerve
Skis At: Lake Murray

"Boat Driver"

Board footer