Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Apr 13, 2010 4:44 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

which ski is least likely to break

Any ski manufacturing/knowledge experts.  Between the high end skis which materials are the most resistant to breakage, it seems a bit scary to have a ski break under your feet, and something I would like to avoid. 

Does breakage seem to be on the rise, because of materials.  I have to say I know nothing about the manufacturing process, so does anyone have any scientific data on how and why a ski would break?  Or if the newer materials are going to be more prone to breakage and if so Why?

Thanks

Todd

#2 Tue, Apr 13, 2010 5:13 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: which ski is least likely to break

Rightly or wrongly, Goode has a reputation for making skis that break.
Early in their history, Radar had a lot of negative chatter after a rather high profile accident involving a ski that broke in two. What is hard to remember, with vivid experiences like these, is that for every one skier that has an extremely negative experience there are hundreds and thousands of skiers that have never had a problem with build quality.

#3 Tue, Apr 13, 2010 6:42 PM

2gofaster

In the case of Goode, the breakages seemed to coincide with the 9800 going into production, which is also when they changed their materials.

I would think you'd be hard pressed to break an Elite. I bet I could beat on one with a 3 lb sledgehammer and not damage it. lol

Shane Hill

#4 Sat, Apr 17, 2010 5:10 PM

Griff
Skis At: Richmond Water Ski Club

I had a Goode 9200 for 6 + years without issues until it started delaminating on the bottom.  I then bought a 9700 and loved it for about 4 years, again without issue until I decided to install inserts.  The very next week it broke between the bindings right across 2 inserts.  I then bought a 9800SLR and got 2 sets on it before I popped the handle on the top near the edge where it split a 2 inch gash in the rail.  I spoke to Goode, sent it back to them, they repaired it and sent it back. I just had to pay shipping. Really not bad coustomer service since it was my fault for the handle pop. Granted it probably should have been able to withstand the handle pop better in my opinion but I guess I couldn't complain.  Later I sold the 9800 at a fair price with full disclosure.  I went to a D3 RCX for a season and liked it equally but got no more bouys.  Last year I went to the D3 Z7 and really have enjoyed it.  I have not had to deal with D3 coustomer service so I can not provide a comparison.  Draw you own conclusions on Goode but if you want to go to another Goode but have reservations, Email or call Dave on it.

My 2 cents.
Griff

Last edited by Griff (Sun, Apr 18, 2010 1:26 AM)

#5 Sat, Apr 17, 2010 6:03 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Connelly builds skis that are virtually indestructable. They are solid. They are the only manufacturer with a limited LIFETIME warranty on their workmanship. I probably shouldn't say this, but I might have had a prophecy on the top of my car when I drove out of a ski site onto a paved road at about 45 miles an hour, it went off the back and aside from being chewed up from scraping on the pavement, yellow paint from the median on the ski and such, the thing was just fine. No cracks, no breaks, solid. Not sure you can expect the same with the rest of the brands... although this is the only company's ski I've tested in this {wicked smart} manner.

Read up on the warranties. As I recall HO has a 2-year, Goode has ?? (90 days?) Radar has 1 year... D3 1 year... Connelly 2 years with LIFETIME warranty on their workmanship. If your ski cracks, well, it won't.... but if it did, it will get replaced.... without an upgrade fee.

Ya I ski for them but if Connelly has a selling point other than the price, it's because it's a solid construction.

#6 Sat, Apr 17, 2010 9:56 PM

Thomas Wayne

Although I do not ski on a Connelly - the only Connelly product I own are a couple of early 90's bindings - it only takes a little bit of side-by-side comparison to know that they are the most SOLID ski out there.  It really is that apparent.

TW

Board footer