Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 12:38 PM

TheShirt
Skis At: Clemson, SC
Foot Forward: Right

Broken Ski!!!!

I have had skis that seemed to break down over time, but yesterday, I actually broke a ski!   On my third pass at 32' off, coming around 3, I heard a "pop" and took a weird fall.  At first, I thought I had hit the ski with the handle, but knew I had not gotten the ski around enough for that to happen.  I noticed the "guide" piece on the front was loose after the crash, so I grabbed it.  When I set my ski on the platform, I noticed a crack on the side, and a hump in the top of the ski.  I pressed on it, and the ski was actually BROKEN in front of the binding!

It was only my 22nd set on the ski, and I was really starting to like it.  Has anyone else ever had this happen?  Here's a couple of pics.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6331_img_8519.jpg

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6331_img_8521.jpg

#2 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 12:45 PM

2gofaster

Re: Broken Ski!!!!

Later(post 9700) Goode's are known for this, unfortunately. I've got a friend who broke FOUR Goode's(two regular 9900s and two wide rides) in a two week period last year. The last one destroyed his front ankle when it broke between the bindings and folded the front half up in his face.

All skis can break. Some are more prone to it than others, ie the Goode 9800-9900 and Obrian Sixam SS 69". Be glad you werent hurt.

Last edited by 2gofaster (Mon, Apr 12, 2010 12:47 PM)

Shane Hill

#3 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 12:49 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Not surprised, it's another Goode... (Goode's seem to dominate the Boards with breakage.) ?????

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 3:22 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

How is goode in respect to replacing broken skis?
I am getting a new ski soon and Goode is a brand I am considering.  But, this actually makes me wonder.

Is there any stats regarding breakage probably not, that isn't something that manufacturers are wanting to tell everyone.

With skis getting lighter and lighter every year and the composite materials that are less resistant once they receive dings and scratches and such, are we going to see more skis breaking?  Hopefully not, but it would be nice to know which materials are more prone to breakage.

Does anyone know?  Wade?

#5 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 4:24 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

I don't think that there is a publicly available bank of statistics. Word of mouth is very powerful, and we know that one vivid example can stigmatize a brand or ski (remember the first year of the MPD?). The most fair thing I can say about Goode is that experience varies.

For myself, and skiers that I have met, HO, Connelly, and Obrien would rather eat the cost of a new ski, even after the warranty has expired, than to loose you and your friends  as customers. I can't comment on D3 because I have never met someone that had a D3 that needed warranty work.

#6 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 5:37 PM

TheShirt

I love the ski, and they may in fact replace it, but I'm honestly a little concerned about skiing on another one.  Had this broken between the bindings, this could have been very bad......

I had a list of skis at the beginning of the year that I would like to try, so I guess I'll start there.....Syndicate, D3 Z7, Strada, maybe a Prophecy (was my ride before the goode).

Very frustrating....

#7 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 8:57 PM

TheShirt

Just picked up a Syndicate S1 to try tomorrow.

#8 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 11:38 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Todd,

I have sure heard a wide range for customer support for the Goodes. I would make sure you have a Good and Trusted rep. to Buy from. Or who knows how it could end... Lotsa $$$$! Do your Homework! Then throw down the rent!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#9 Wed, Apr 14, 2010 12:10 AM

Taperflex
Skis At: Divorce Lake, Valley, AL
Foot Forward: Left

I just broke my new 9900sl right between the binders. Since I use a rear toe piece instead of a boot, i only suffered a broken middle toe. I loved the way it skied, but I am afraid to try another one. Is there anything similar out there that I should try?

#10 Wed, Apr 14, 2010 12:43 AM

TheShirt

I'm a basket case right now.  I loved the way the ski rode, but an nervous aout getting on another one.  I have an HO Sydicate S1 to try tomorrow (today fell through), but I would like to try the Strada and a D3, too.  May head to Charleston to try those this weekend.

I'm going to ski school in 2 weeks, and don't have a ski.....

#11 Wed, Apr 14, 2010 3:26 AM

2gofaster

The strada is niiiiiiiiiice.

Shane Hill

#12 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 3:23 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

I would have to say, Now I am NOT A SKI EXPERT! But as a 10 year vet. as an aircraft composite repair and manufacturing guy. I would have to say anything composite that has a hollow core such as many of the new light weight carbon composite skis out there today are going to be prone to braking like this. <br>
I would really look hard into what kind of material these skis are made from as well as how much material is put in them. Just in my time around aircraft I have seen everything done to a composite part as well as experimented with them in ways they cant be broken. But I would look for a carbon honeycomb combo its still light weight but is 10 times stronger, if your worried about this happening. <br>
Good Luck

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#13 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 12:13 PM

2gofaster

No one does a carbon honeycomb slalom ski, so that's out.

Shane Hill

#14 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 12:20 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

"Honeycomb" -Now that's an incredable feat of engineering, stolen straight from nature! Of course, I think "Area 51" did help bring this and lamination about 1st in the aviation industry!

I have an old Jobe Honeycomb, that took a couple very hard handle shots, (the kind that put big dents in the allum. top and would of shattered todays ski's...) and it is still very much ski-able! It's about 30 yrs. old now and some how wg's less then my Radar Annex!?!?! Retro Baby!big_smile

#15 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 2:01 PM

HO410

There is only one ski that does not have a solid core. That would be the Warp. It is build around a system of carbon spars, similar to an airplane wing, so it is not like there is no internal structure at all. It is an incredibly low volume product, but in terms of build quality it is still a small cut ahead of the Obrien Elite and the Fisher (when it was being built). The only QC issue that I am aware of is that the early run had issues with tips leaking: that might explain why Chet still skis with his test ski that has not tip and just uses a stopper.

For knowledge sake. The Warp, Elite, and Fisher are molded using resin transfer. HO, D3, Obrien, and Connelly use a compression mold with dry carbon fiber: the lay the carbon, brush on the resin, and then press out the excess. Goode is similar but they use carbon prepreg: the cloth is impregnated with resin and then frozen for later use.

#16 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 4:17 PM

2gofaster

I will say this....my elite has taken handle hits without a mark that have put deeg gashes through the top and into the core in my other skis. I swear you could beat on that thing with a hammer.

Shane Hill

#17 Sat, Apr 17, 2010 2:44 AM

TheShirt

I tried the HO Sydicate S1, the D3 Z7 ST, and the Radar Strada.  I rode the S1 Wednesday, and it was OK.  After my first run on the D3, I knew the S1 was off the list.  I really like the D3 and the Strada - free skied on both of them just riding up through 35.  In the end, I liked the speed at the finish of the turn on the Strada a little more, so I got it.  Had I only had the chance to try either of them, I would have jumped on it - the decision was difficult.

Tomorrow, I'll mount my PowerShells on it, and when my ankle gets better, I'll test it some more.

#18 Sat, Apr 17, 2010 12:39 PM

2gofaster

That's great to hear. I've got 10 sets on my strada now and love it.  How do you feel it compares to the Goode you were on?

Shane Hill

#19 Sat, Apr 17, 2010 2:43 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

In reference to HO410 several post back (April 15 10:01 AM)
A HO rep told me that they use the prepreg sheets. Do you think you might be mistaken or the HO rep? I don't know. He said it was better because the sheet had a determined amount and the system of pulling it through has no definite way to know they are no voids.
I think it is important to have a good company standing behind what ever ski a person buys. In testing skis recently, I think I liked the performance of a Fisher that I rode the best. However, I ordered a HO A1 instead. Why you may ask; the company is the answer.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#20 Mon, Apr 19, 2010 11:36 AM

TheShirt

2gofaster -

I've only skied 2 sets on the Strada, but I reaaly like the feel of it.  Overall, it may not be quite as fast as the Goode, but it's not far off.  If it doesn;t break in half, too, it definately has an advantage over the Goode....

#21 Mon, Apr 19, 2010 12:16 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

TheShirt wrote:

2gofaster -

I've only skied 2 sets on the Strada, but I reaaly like the feel of it.  Overall, it may not be quite as fast as the Goode, but it's not far off.  If it doesn;t break in half, too, it definately has an advantage over the Goode....

After you get some more time on it, I'd be interested to know if it still feels a tad slower and if the Strada doesn't more then make up for it through the corners with speed and confidence by way of the Stada's predictability and reliability?

#22 Mon, Apr 19, 2010 1:19 PM

2gofaster

My initial thought was that the strada was just a touch slower than the Elite, too. But after a dozen sets on it, I think that sensation is because it's speed is more balanced. You don't bleed off as much  and it carries it better off the apex, so the delta between slow and fast is smaller.  What I do know is that if I keep my knees soft, it keeps gaining angle  as it approaches the first wake and then I have a ton more space between me and the buoy.

Shane Hill

#23 Mon, Apr 19, 2010 3:20 PM

TheShirt

Thanks, guys.  THis is great info - I really think I made the right decision on the ski.  That speed through the turn is why I finally made that decision.  I took a pretty bad crash and hurt my ankle as I finished up, so it may be a few days (or weeks) before I get to ride it again.  I have an appointment with my orthopedist in the morning to see how the ankle is doing.

I had a set of Drafts on the skis when I tried them, because that was my old set-up.  I will be mounting up PowerShells before I ride again.

#24 Mon, Apr 19, 2010 3:23 PM

HO410

Bud, I wouldn't know exactly how HO is building their skis these days, I'm sure the rep knows more than I do. A few years back an engineer told me that carbon prepreg has a specific temperature range that it needs to cure at. If those conditions aren't met, the layup will be less consistent. That is hearsay so my understanding may be off.

I've seen plenty of Syndicate skis, in fact have one myself, and it looks like HO has very tight controls on their QC. Also, they seem to have a shoot first, ask questions later attitude with their warranty. Then again, I only know of a handful of warranty claims, but that's mostly because I ski with an HO dealer.

Board footer