Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 2:35 PM

tshneide7
Skis At: Midwest
Foot Forward: Right

jump surface repair

My team has a jump surface that was vandalized last fall and we are finally getting around to repairing it because we finally have a jump frame on order!  Anyway, it has a fiberglass-plywood-fiberglass construction and it appears to have been shot with a shotgun, all the way through.  Any ideas on how to repair it would be greatly appreciated!  There are holes on all three fiberglass sections. I've included two images of the damage.
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/6345_jump_002.jpg
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/6345_jump_001.jpg

#2 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 4:57 PM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can
Foot Forward: Left

Re: jump surface repair

You could probably get a fiberglass repair kit and fix it with that. Although its a decent size hole so you will probably have to cut out a section and the refit a piece of plywood into the area and then fiberglass over it. We used a fiberglass repair kit to repair some areas on our old boat hull and it was quite easy to work with and did a pretty good job. Someone might have a better explanation then that but that's what I would attempt to do.

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#3 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 5:46 PM

2gofaster

I'd use a skill saw to cut a clean square out. Sand the glass back about 6" with 80 grit paper so you have a good area to blend your fiberglass patch into. I'd then use a router to route a step in the plywood. On your patch panel, route a step in it too. You can then use a construction adhesive to attach the patch into your stepped hole.  From there, you can use glass mat and resin to glass over the top and underside. A sander can then be used with 80 grit paper to knock down the surface. I'm guessing you'll need to skim the surface again. You can then finish sand with 180 or 220.

Shane Hill

#4 Fri, Apr 2, 2010 12:22 AM

tshneide7
Skis At: Midwest
Foot Forward: Right

Thanks Andrew1988 and Shane, I think this will really help us out!

Board footer