Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 11:28 AM

superroo

Polishing ski?

Question to anyone who has done this, or open to people's opinions.

I just brought my self a new ski (08 monza) and before using it, am polishing/sealing/waxing the top in order to protect it/make it look even better.

But they question is, should i polish the underside?
It feels courser than the top when you run your fingers over it, and my thinking is a smoother surface will give less resistance, thus less strain on the skier. It should also accelerate better as their is less holding it back, so to speak.

But by polishing it, will i effect the stability/edge change of the ski.

Anyone done it or heard of it being done?

Cheers

#2 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 11:40 AM

2gofaster

Re: Polishing ski?

If your thought process was correct, then we'd need to start taking the dimples out of golf balls. Some skis are designed around a smooth bottom. The Elite comes to mind. Most others have a microtextured base.  The texture breaks the surface tension and actually makes the ski slide through the water easier.

Shane Hill

#3 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 12:18 PM

superroo

2gofaster wrote:

If your thought process was correct, then we'd need to start taking the dimples out of golf balls.

Good point, i hadn't thought about that.
But golf balls deal with seperation of the boundry layer in air. In this situation with ski's we're talking about caviation of water. Which is a different kettle of fish

#4 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 12:35 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

If it were anything beneficial, #1. the Manufacturer would have already done it. #2. they would also be selling some good 'ol slick um for a little extra profit... #3. polishing it will turn it into a very unpredictable slalom Trick ski!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 3:00 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

I frequently clean the underside of my ski with mild soap and water, but I would not recommend "polishing" it.

Travis Ogden

#6 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 3:06 PM

EdJohnson

Superroo,

After you wax the bottom please video it when you ski and post it for us. I think you will go for the ride of your life!!!!

Seriously, if you wax it, then take the ski, turn it upside down with the tip up, tail down in a 30-45 degree attitude. Now take a hose and run water down it. I believe you will see it flow all over the place.
It is impotant to keep the bottom of your ski clean. Fingerpints, dirt and debris can accumulate on it and be naked to the eye. Do the hose check and you will see the flow moving around any dirt spots. You should take a mild detergent in water and a soft sponge and frequently clean the bottom of the ski. When you wash it off watch how even the water flows with a clean bottom.
Also, especially in the boat, always lay the ski down on it's side. This helps keep it clean and protects the fin if any one steps on it, thus changing your settings.

Hope this helps,   ED

#7 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 3:33 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

So, what they said.
Skis require some care, but more is not necessarily better.
It is a good idea to periodically clean your ski with a mild soap and a non-scratch cleaning pad. This is a usually recommended for a new ski to remove the remaining mold release agent.

Last edited by HO410 (Wed, Mar 31, 2010 3:46 PM)

#8 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 5:37 PM

2gofaster

Actually, the same principles apply in water too. On our flat bottom 170mph drag boats, we'd pick up 6-7mph when we used a microtextured bottom as opposed to a smooth gel coated bottom.

Much like we did on our boats, Fischer would media blast their ski molds so that the microtexture was molded in.

Shane Hill

#9 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 10:30 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

2gofaster wrote:

Actually, the same principles apply in water too. On our flat bottom 170mph drag boats, .

Hey shane, could ya post a pic. of one of those Bad Boyz? I assume they're capsulated? What Hull, Sanger?

Here's my Flt. Bottom "Training" (compared to yours!) boat!
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/4584_boat_2.jpg

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Wed, Mar 31, 2010 10:33 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer