Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Mar 21, 2010 4:35 PM

brian glock

Ski Boot Advice

I'm looking for a new set up and was hoping to get some feedback.

I broke my foot three seasons ago in a pair of animals, resulting in three titanium screws.  That was a bummer!  The next season I bought a brand new set up, Goode 9800 with powershells.  I didn't get to ski much that year as I was still recovering from the previous injury and my buddy with the boat moved out of town.  That brings us to last season.  I skied pretty hard and started having problems with the powershells.  I separated twice without cause.  I bought new interlock and still had problems.  Following the new interlock, I crashed causing a concussion.

Needless to say, I am sick of messing around.  I haven't had a good season in a while now and I am determined to make this year a good one. 

The options I am thinking about:
1).  Keeping the 9800 and putting Wileys on the powerplate with 400 grit interlock.  I don't have alot of       confidence in interlock anymore.

2).  Drilling holes in the 9800 and putting on Radars.  I'm a little worried about coming out of those boots.

3).  Buying new HO S1 with the EXO boots.  EXPENSIVE OPTION!!

I know this is alot, but any advice would be great.  My season depends on it!!

#2 Sun, Mar 21, 2010 10:52 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Ski Boot Advice

Option 1: my understanding is that 400 mated to 250 offers the strongest connection.

Option 2: you don't have to drill holes. You could use Dual Lock like you would with your Wiley's option. You could also use the Reflex Bond kit. I have seen a skier use 3m automotive trim tape (I think that's what it is called) to attach plates to a Warp 8, but I don't recall all the details.

Option 3: HO will have a adapter plate. You don't have to buy an HO ski unless you really want one.

#3 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 1:24 AM

ChrisRossi

I would go with the Radar RS1/Strada boot or you could go with the Fogman system if you want to run double hardshells.  Both are great options.  I run the Radar boots and love them.

Chris

#4 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 3:25 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Brian,
The RS-1 release is super simple and really does work. The great thing is that they can easily be tested on dry land. I know that as I got used to them and gained more confidence, I ran the bungee laces looser and looser. Actually, I can't believe how tight I pulled them on the first few sets, and would not be too comfortable that way anymore. For me, it almost feels like they release easier a sloppy set of rubber overlays (of course they perform much much better) Because they are kind of a new concept, seeing is a big part of believing. I've had several skiers clearly opine that they are dangerous "front-lace" boots. RS-1's are definitely not in the same class of binding as the Approach or Draft. I think this style of boot is as good an option that is currently for sale.

Last edited by HO410 (Mon, Mar 22, 2010 1:58 PM)

#5 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 1:29 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Don't count on the rubber boots to save your ankle - I have surgery somewhere in my future, probably Oct this year because of a series of ankle busting hits w/ rubber. When I had the overlays tight enough to not feel sloppy, my front foot did not come out on multiple occasions when I fell and dug the front of the ski in.

Board footer