Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Mar 20, 2010 1:46 AM

t8skier
Skis At: Collierville Ski Club, Tn
Foot Forward: Right

Insoles

I was in Walmart today and saw a machine by Dr. Scholls.  You stood on it and it found your pressure points then recommended a insole.
For balance would this be a benefit with hardshell boots?

#2 Sat, Mar 20, 2010 12:33 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Insoles

They will help (unless you have a flat foot).

#3 Sat, Mar 20, 2010 3:34 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

I'm coming from the world of snow skiing...  Footbeds are a matter of preference.  While they can add comfort, a more solid connected feel, and some alignment correction, some experts feel that actual balance is better if the foot is allowed to act as a tripod (unless your have serious alignment problems).  It's sort of a compromise.  Just have to try them and decide for yourself.

#4 Sat, Mar 20, 2010 4:01 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

I am a believer in foot beds after growing up in alpine ski boots  skiing 100 plus days a season i cant imagine not having them. I am going to try a pair in my RS1's this spring. So i say give it a try not sure what your spending?? I use a custom molded orthodic in my shoes. My PT recomended it last fall while seeing him for lower back pain.
MC

#5 Sat, Mar 20, 2010 10:26 PM

Digger
Skis At: Steilacoom Lake

Just ordered some ZAPS insoles from H2Oproshop, anybody tried these? - $60.00 a set. Will try them in my Animals

Last edited by Digger (Sat, Mar 20, 2010 10:27 PM)

Ski hard or save the gas

#6 Sat, Mar 20, 2010 11:20 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

WOW! and to think; Andy Mapple prefers to ski w/o anything between his foot and his stick!!! -a lot cheaper too!big_smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Sun, Mar 21, 2010 3:32 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Below is a pretty good article with a rundown on ramp angle

http://ballofspray.com/tech-articles/13 … ow-skiing-

For those of you that do use footbeds in your slalom boots. How do you approach adjusting ramp angle? Particularly lowering the heel.
In shoes, insoles have always pushed my heel up higher than I am comfortable with. I could rephrase, I'm comfortable in Chuck Taylors, and running shoes make me feel like I'm walking downhill.

Last edited by HO410 (Sun, Mar 21, 2010 3:33 AM)

#8 Sun, Mar 21, 2010 3:11 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Ya, I wish more comprehensive info. was readily avail. for H2o Slalom. I read that article B4 and wondered how much over all difference (if any) there is while being pulled as opposed to being lead by momemtum... Also, snow skier is balanced center/fwd. while a H2o skier is center/back. ?????

I use cheap inner soles in my Rs-1's and do seem to like the feel of some wedge in the rear. But, have'nt tried any up front yet.

Wish I could be more like Andy and just do it!wink

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#9 Sun, Mar 21, 2010 5:44 PM

2gofaster

h20dawg79 wrote:

WOW! and to think; Andy Mapple prefers to ski w/o anything between his foot and his stick!!! -a lot cheaper too!big_smile

That was a LONG time ago. Andy has been on a Reflex style binding for a lot of years  now. So he's not been directly on the ski since he was on a rubber binding.

Shane Hill

#10 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 3:05 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

MChilcutt wrote:

I am a believer in foot beds after growing up in alpine ski boots  skiing 100 plus days a season i cant imagine not having them. I am going to try a pair in my RS1's this spring. So i say give it a try not sure what your spending?? I use a custom molded orthodic in my shoes. My PT recomended it last fall while seeing him for lower back pain.
MC

Don't get me wrong... I use footbeds.  Custom in ski boots, over the counter in waterski boots (RS-1's), and just shims for alignment in my ice skates.  I just want to say that it is purely optional.  The balance thing I mentioned is a trade-off.  With orthotics, you lose the very sensitive part of your balance and feedback that comes from the three point stance of your feet and your ankle, but gain a more powerful and connected edge to edge feel that is more related to your lower leg and works well with hard shell boots.  So usually a footbed for "sliding sports" will be harder and more supportive than one for running/walking type sports.  You just have to decide what's best for what you're trying to do, so if it helps, go for it.  Here's an example... (try or imagine) balancing on one foot on a wobble board in your ski boots with orthotics versus with bare feet.  It's just different.

Back problems, knee alignments, pronation, etc. are a whole other thing.

#11 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 11:06 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

2gofaster wrote:

h20dawg79 wrote:

That was a LONG time ago. Andy has been on a Reflex style binding for a lot of years  now. So he's not been directly on the ski since he was on a rubber binding.

Ya, that's why I said; "Prefers"... He had stated within the last couple of yrs. How he Loses his connection and feed back with any padding. But, I'm sure all the new equip. created a trade off... It almost seems like Wade Cox said something along these lines as well...

Board footer