Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Mar 18, 2010 6:47 PM

jamesmom

good beginning slalom ski choice for son

My son will be 14 soon and wants a slalom ski for his birthday.  He's only 85# and about 5'2".  He slalomed on one stick of an old pair of Dick Pope Jr. wooden skis last summer and did great.  At this point, it's recreational - we live on a lake.  I have no idea what would be a good ski and binding.  Any help would be appreciated!

#2 Thu, Mar 18, 2010 7:04 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Re: good beginning slalom ski choice for son

Not sure what your price range is, but if considering used, this one on Ski-it-again.com looks like the ticket (I have no affilliation, just trying to help), and might work until he hits his growth spurt.  Those mini-shock bindings it comes w/ are also nice, my daughter has them on her ski.  They'll fit up to a M 7 1/2.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitag … d=SIA10336

Last edited by davemac (Thu, Mar 18, 2010 7:05 PM)

#3 Thu, Mar 18, 2010 7:09 PM

jamesmom

Thanks!  I'll check it out.

#4 Thu, Mar 18, 2010 7:23 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL
Foot Forward: Right

Shameless plug- I have a 2001 HO ASX, 65" in the garage. Would be willing to let it go for like, really cheap. Classic ski that still looks cool and would probably be a great first ski.

http://www.fifteenoff.com/forum/default … &t=577

Last edited by Jhughes (Thu, Mar 18, 2010 7:24 PM)

#5 Thu, Mar 18, 2010 7:37 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

For recreational skiing, there are only 2 criteria you need to satisfy.

First, pick a ski that looks wicked cool.
Second, pick a ski that fits your budget.

You will definitely want to shoot for the weight you think he'll get to in the next 2 or 3 years.
Although his current weight suggests that he could get on a youth ski, he'll probably be in the
range for a 65" before you even have a change to blink your eyes.

Boots: If you think he'll put on 3 or 4 shoe sizes in the next 2 or 3 years, you probably need to go with an adjustable boot. If he's going to put on a size or two, or if you are comfortable buying an in between set, you
will probably want to go with an open toe boot like the HO Animal. If his feet are pretty big, and seem to be be pretty stable, you could consider something closed toe like the Wiley's rubber boot or maybe even that new Obrien Prodigy (although that might be a bit overkill and too stiff of a boot for a less advanced skier).

#6 Thu, Mar 18, 2010 10:10 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

The HO Judge 61' is a perfect ski for a youth. My son learned the course on the same  ski. Last season he skied the course 30mph 15'off. He was 15years old, 5'7, 125lbs.
The ski was a great ski for him, stable and easy to learn. He was able to grown with it.
By the end of last season we sold it and he's now on a HO Monza 66'.
Best of luck!

#7 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 12:22 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Agreed, Sick graphics are top priority for the beginning teen!

If buying used, don't pay more then $100.00 for a complete set up with bindings including shipping. Ebay can accomplish this. (sometimes even closer to $50.00...)

You should take into account his growth potential (hgt. & wgt.) during the next 2 yrs. when selecting the size and budget...

A very nice low budget New ski with bindings might be a 65" Radar Theory with Rail bindings. (65 is as small as it comes) This is a Very stable and confidence building ski... Ebay for under $200.00 or call around and shop for a demo or 2008-2009 model... I would not go 65" unless he's expected to grow a lot in the next 2 yrs. (But, kids can do just about anything and make it look EZ!)

Good Luck!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 4:16 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

not sure if other people agree, or if my ski was the right choice, but i used a Mach 1. a guy at local ski shop said it'd be great for free water as well as beginning on the coarse. however, once i started skiin 22 off' 34mph the ski kinda lost all momentum. but i loved my mach 1! got me through several seasons! :] the Mach 1 is like HO's classic ski, and rides smoothly.  and if anyone is like WOAH mach 1 bad idea!! please post it.. i didn't know too much about skis when i got it. its just what i skied on when starting the coarse

i swear this site is turning into my home...

Board footer