Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Mar 5, 2010 8:44 PM

ricar116
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

Advantages/Disadvantages of a shorter ski

I am 6"5" and 230 lbs skiing a 71" Triumph when I started back skiing I was 250. Now that I am less fat what advantages would I see from a 69" like ski? Disadvantages? I ski at 32 mph. Would a Senate support 230 at 32?

Last edited by ricar116 (Fri, Mar 5, 2010 9:00 PM)

#2 Sat, Mar 6, 2010 1:55 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Advantages/Disadvantages of a shorter ski

How are you skiing @ 32mph? i.e. In the course or freeskiing? Rope length? What are your Goals or objectives?
There are worlds of difference between use and performance...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Sat, Mar 6, 2010 5:18 AM

ricar116
Skis At:

I'm 45  have had 6 instructed sets currently working on making a good connection after the turn, to carry speed through the wakes. Primarily free ski, Can make 2 15 off at 32 and about 4 total turns through the course at 32. Tourist course skier. No course on our lake...may change that this season. I free ski at 32 so thought that is the speed I should start the course. Would seriously like to learn the course. Is thinking of a different ski just a distraction at this point? Is learning the course at 32 a bit lofty? Goals learn the course and make safe beautiful sweeping turns when I free ski. Maybe even do some INT events. It's been a long winter.

Last edited by ricar116 (Sat, Mar 6, 2010 5:19 AM)

#4 Sat, Mar 6, 2010 1:59 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

IMO, for freeskiing, the bigger ski will always be more friendly in all water conditions. More surface area ='s more stability, forgivness and dependability. Which lend to confidence and confidence increases performance...

If you begin skiing the course consistantly and feel like throwing down a shorter Senate, then go for it. But, given your size and wgt. I don't think the 69 Senate would be a better choice unless you were rippin' the course on a hard edges (which increases speed 10-20 mph momentarily) Otherwise, the Senate would not only be shorter, it would also be a narrower stick then the Triumph and you would tend to drag (sink) most of the time. (a longer ski will generally produce better speeds cross course as well...)

The 69" Radar Theory would be a great ski to test drive in the mean time. Wider then the Senate and the tail is also wider. This will make free skiing a Blast and this ski will Rock in the course @ INT speeds...

H2osmosis has a ride B4 you buy program ($25.00 S/H ) and/or lessons at a site that demo's the sticks you would like to try out...

Good Luck!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Sat, Mar 6, 2010 6:08 PM

ricar116
Skis At:

Sounds like a good plan thanks for your time.

Board footer