Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 3:18 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

New Ski Handle

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/31_t-handle.jpg

Check out this new handle that Mike Murphy (Of Air Chair/Sky Ski fame) is working on.  He's still finishing up patents on it so its not available yet.  It will be interesting to see how it works for slalom.

Garn

#2 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 4:15 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: New Ski Handle

Looks cool!

Just looking at the 2-d image and not holding it, I would imagine that the forces would be a little weird at first dependent on where you gripped the handle... not to mention the tendency to grip 'over the edge' and miss the handle completely w/o the rope there to give you something to hold in b/t. I think the rope connected directly to the handle bar (old style) equalizes the forces a little better, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for posting!

#3 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 6:04 PM

Thomas Wayne

Not sure what aspect of it can be patented, since the basic "T" handle design was built decades ago.  It didn't work out then, and I predict it won't work out now either.  The "mesh" part may also infringe on our patent-pending device; we'll have to wait and see about that issue.

One of the inherently safe things about the traditional bridle design is the side ropes act as protective guides that tend to deflect the handle from catching on objects and/or skiers as the boat pulls it along.  Can you imagine being in the water and having a handle like that drag past you as a so-so driver is trying to bring it to you?  A bad experience just waiting to happen, IMO.  I can envision language along the lines of "...knew, or should have known..." in future legal filings.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Wed, Mar 3, 2010 8:04 PM)

#4 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 6:23 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

That's pretty wild looking. It just looks like the design is trying too hard to out-think the room. When you're looking for strength and stability, it's hard to outdo the triangle. That is, in part, why it's 2010 and everyone is still using an aluminum bar with a rope tied to each end.

Without reading any documentation, it's impossible to know what he is trying to achieve. If it's meant to be a safer handle, I think it introduces more problems than it solves. At a glance, it looks more like a grappling hook than a ski handle. By no means discouragement, but I'm not sure that particular design is on the right track for slalom.

Hey, Thomas. What's going on with the 2.0 version of the Armguard?

#5 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 8:03 PM

Thomas Wayne

HO410 wrote:

[...]

Hey, Thomas. What's going on with the 2.0 version of the Armguard?

Some versions are currently being torture tested.  Should have a final verison in a month or two.  Also working on the OEM (built into finished handle) version.

TW

#6 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 8:46 PM

HO410

Just curious.
The two I bought are going strong moving into their 3rd season. Mine stays on all the time, getting manhandled twice a round for 3 rounds about 7 times a year, and it seems to be non the worse for wear. In year 1, I got a lot of, "What the hell is that? I don't think I'd want that on my handle." In year 2 I got more, "That makes sense. At the very least it probably wont hurt anything." In year 3, I might actually get someone that wants to write down your email addy.

#7 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 9:27 PM

kstateskier

My Arm Guard is going into season 2 still strong!  Haven't even had to replace a single zip tie...

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#8 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 1:52 AM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

looks like it'd make a good anchor.. after reading this form I'm really interested in if this thing is going to work out! my take is it's going to be more hydrofoil specific rather than slalom. considering how when flying a foil you need stability and small n' quick handle moves make the biggest difference when flying. looks like it might be good for that purpose.... hmmm interesting handle

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#9 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 2:39 AM

coledog66
Skis At: 15-28 off
Foot Forward: Left

I like the idea of the new handle design.  I'm glad to see that someone is thinking of making a progressive handle with safety as the first priority.  I feel we need to learn the lessons resulting from the deaths of Brett Yager and John O'Neill, a friend of ours that died last summer in a similar accident.  John was a one armed skier who competed at a very high level holding the handle between his forearm and the bicep of his right arm .  Watching him ski inspired all of us around him.  After his death last summer all of our local tournaments mandated a "handle guard" installed on everyone's handle if they wanted to compete.  I'm looking forward to testing the new design.  RIP John O'neill, we miss you...

http://picasaweb.google.com/StephenJame … edwebsite#

Last edited by coledog66 (Fri, Mar 5, 2010 1:32 AM)

ADK Skier

#10 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 3:58 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

I skied with John Oneill a few times my self. Pretty amazing that he could ski with just one arm the way he did. Although I can't say that I was surprised that he died in an accident involving the handle:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SNVD62JrZJo/Si8GFQNkgNI/AAAAAAAAId4/dgZfjTTsMvU/s640/Hidden%20Pass%20Tournament%20Waterski%204929.JPG

I don't think he would have been able to ski with this new handle... I think he knew what he was doing was inherently dangerous, and he died doing something he loved...

#11 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 4:46 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Amazing dedication from that man.
MC

#12 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 4:58 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Solution to this problem is a slalom rope release....

#13 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 6:26 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

WadeWilliams wrote:

Solution to this problem is a slalom rope release....

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6184_newrelease.jpg
http://www.cinchmax.com/

this COULD be a solution!! My buddy, Steve, has one of these connected to his tower and uses it when  hydro-foiling, wakeboard, knee board,  etc...  This is a Velcro release  system. two peaces of Vecro are on the out side and a third is in between the two that are attached to your rope. if too much tension is acquired the Velcro manually releases! so if you out on the water and you slip our arm through the handle or something as you crash it will release. However, its not strong enough for hard slalom cuts.... doesn't really have enough strength to hold for some intense skiing... Wonder if someone could make one of these/or something like it that is strong enough to slalom?? because it is an EXCELLENT safety tool and has saved me once when i took a bad fall on a foil.

also if one was durable for skiing, the rope length could be an issue...  but its a good invention!!
R.I.P. John Oneill.

-plotz

Last edited by Pl0tz (Thu, Mar 4, 2010 7:19 PM)

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#14 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 6:35 PM

HO410

Superior solutions tend to dominate the market. Triangle handles. Carbon Fiber skis. I'm thinking the up and coming is the liner out of shell release boot. I'm sure there are a handful of slalom skiers out there that use a release. It's not like they are sitting on a secret, you don't see more because the current options don't fit the bill on a large scale.

Herein lies the difficulty: you need something that can hold onto somewhere between 200 and 1200 pounds, but release at a fraction of that. Any load based, automatic release will be inadequate to hold on during a pass, or the threshold would be far to high to release when needed.

Last edited by HO410 (Thu, Mar 4, 2010 6:42 PM)

#15 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 7:25 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

I don't think you are going to be able to design a simple system that will release in the event of an emergency yet still withstand the loads associated w/slalom... manual operation (like the trick release) is all you need. freak accident? hit the emergency release.

#16 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 7:27 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

HO410 wrote:

Superior solutions tend to dominate the market. Triangle handles. Carbon Fiber skis. I'm thinking the up and coming is the liner out of shell release boot. I'm sure there are a handful of slalom skiers out there that use a release. It's not like they are sitting on a secret, you don't see more because the current options don't fit the bill on a large scale.

Herein lies the difficulty: you need something that can hold onto somewhere between 200 and 1200 pounds, but release at a fraction of that. Any load based, automatic release will be inadequate to hold on during a pass, or the threshold would be far to high to release when needed.

This product works well with slalom http://www.boarditup.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=346 The only problem is, your observer MUST pay attention, and pull the cord in a crash.  I find that most observers don't like the idea of "working" when watching, but again, it DOES work well.

#17 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 8:07 PM

HO410

Everything in this world has positive and negative traits. The positive of that style of release is that, by design it stays closed. The problem is that as the pull increases, so does the effort required to pull the pin. At my club we have that style of release collecting dust because of that factor: it's just too hard to release a larger skier unless you pull pin very early.

The Robbins release would be more ideal because it's fail-safe: the pin is pulled by virtue of not holding it closed. The difficulty is that you have to hold it closed, the heavier the skier the harder to hold closed. I could imagine a rope style release that uses an ATC, Figure-8 or, Rap ring to multiply the strength of the pin person: plus it fails safe when the rope is released.

**I hate to crap all over this thread. I promise I'm a positive, solution oriented person.

Last edited by HO410 (Thu, Mar 4, 2010 8:08 PM)

#18 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 8:16 PM

jbski

Although, I'm not against the idea of a release for slalom, I doubt anyone would've pulled the emergency release on the fall that caused my arm to go through the handle and dislocate my elbow - unless they pulled the release on every single fall. It seemed like such a safe way to go down at the time - a too-narrow-into-the-ball sideslide - but it turned into a arm through the handle scenario in an instant and the damage was done before anyone could've reacted. The observer/releaser would've been going "uh, what the hell just happened?" and I would've been all "dude, you should've pulled the release." and they would've gone "seriously? No way!" and I would've been like "way" and they've would've been all bummed and like "dude, sorry, man" and I would've gone "it's cool". Or something like that.

But then what would be the harm in pinning every fall? You've got to go back to get the skier anyway. Might as well grab the rope on the way and hook back up like with trick. Would take a few seconds longer to get the rope then get it back to the skier, but not too long. Might need a small float on the boat end of the rope if you're skiing over deep water so your handle doesn't sink your entire rope out of reach.

I'm sticking with the Arm Guard for now.

#19 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 8:29 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

jbski wrote:

Although, I'm not against the idea of a release for slalom, I doubt anyone would've pulled the emergency release on the fall that caused my arm to go through the handle and dislocate my elbow - unless they pulled the release on every single fall. It seemed like such a safe way to go down at the time - a too-narrow-into-the-ball sideslide - but it turned into a arm through the handle scenario in an instant and the damage was done before anyone could've reacted.

That heavy Duty Trick/Slalom release works easily, and instantly (even for big skiers).  A good observer can pull it BEFORE the skier hits the water, if he is paying close attention.  I do believe that pulling it on every fall is smart, but, it's just that most skiers don't want the hassle to go get the rope, & set it up again. But, if it helps you only 1 time, is it worth it?

It also takes more care with the excess rope in the boat.  You must veclro/attach it back onto the rope, after the shock tube/engine (so it will go out w/the shock tube, and not catch anything/anyone IN the boat).  When I have my own crew, I like using this system (certainly you have a better chance of getting out of the rope's way if it releases in a bad crash), but, when I have a strange crew, (I hate to say it) forget about it.

#20 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 10:09 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Dan,
When you say "strange" are you talking about me? JK!

Nice skiing in those vids Dude! That -32 looked nice and smooth! Looks like that Goode is agreeing with you. Are you skiing this weekend?

Last edited by StevenHaines (Thu, Mar 4, 2010 10:16 PM)

Board footer