Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 3:24 AM

ThingFish

Advise on performance ski selection

Hi all,

After getting sidetracked for a few years on a wakeboard, I've decided to return to my roots.  The O'Brien in the closet wasn't a good choice when I bought it, so I'm gonna start over.  I'm looking through Overtons at the intermediate/performance skis and trying to make a good choice.  I realize that I *should* demo several skis to see which I like best, but that kinda hard to justify when it's not a comp ski.  Given that, I'll just try to make the best educated guess I can.  I checked the ski selection guide on the site, but there's not a lot of depth there yet.

I don't ski the course, as we don't have one on our lake, so it's just rec skiing.  I'm 6' and 190#, and generally ski about 28 mph.  I'm thinking  a 68" ski is about right.

I've always skied with a rear toe loop (and by always I mean about 30 years now), but I'm seriously thinking about double bindings.  Anyone think that's a bad idea?

The skis I'm considering are the O'Brien Siege, the Connelly HP, and the HO Comp Freeride.  Comments?

Any advise on how the bindings from O'Brien (Targa), Connelly (Nova) and HO (Level) compare?

I realize it's a lot asking for advise on a forum that I don't frequent, but I figure I can't get any better advise than from a forum of pure skiiers, ... hardcores.  :-)

Many thanks,
John

#2 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 9:49 AM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Advise on performance ski selection

John,
     I would look at the Radar Senate for the style of skiing that you are doing.  Others here at this forum have come looking the same as you and ended up with Senates.  Everyone loves this ski.  Rips like a high end comp ski but has slightly more surface area.  I would recommend a 69.  Check out the product info and video here:

http://radarskis.com/senate.html

Chris

#3 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 11:07 AM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

John,
Though I can only dream of approaching the credibility of your first responder, I do own a Senate, and would concur w/ him 100%.  It is forgiving yet offers plenty of performance to grow into.
Also will throw a plug for the Radar Vector boot(s) -that match up well to the ski (no slime required).
Generally it seems people have a tough time adjusting to double boots after so long....but there are always exceptions (I'm not one of them).

Last edited by davemac (Wed, Mar 3, 2010 1:41 PM)

#4 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 1:33 PM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

Hey John.
Just bought aSenate C, been riding a Mapple for years, what a difference the ski feels. Highly recomend it.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#5 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 3:01 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

I would consider buying the ski through the H2osmosis ride before you buy program. It's not so much that you are looking going to demo several skis. It is more that you will have an easier time with sending the ski back if it just does not feel right.

#6 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 5:30 PM

Galejan
Skis At: Tunsättersjön
Foot Forward: left

I like my HO Triumph a lot, its been taking me from 43kph to 55kph and a few on 16m line, and still i´m not feeling that it is the ski that holds me back, its ME........smile

#7 Sun, Mar 7, 2010 11:58 PM

ThingFish

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.  I've not consider Radar skis before, and they look like a great product, very well respected, but a bit more $$ than I had planned.  I'm thinking the Connelly Concept looks like a nice ski.  I skied a double concave bottom when I was a kid and found it, ... interesting.  I've also decided to go with a double boot and work through the transition.  I asked a good friend his advise and he said "Rear boot is awesome for us hack-type skiers! You'll thank me!"  :-)

John

#8 Mon, Mar 8, 2010 1:33 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Have fun with your new equipment.

Double boots are really no big deal. Just take it easy your first few times out. Gradually dial up your intensity as you feel more comfortable and get the feel of how the ski and bindings react.

Board footer