Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 9:40 PM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can
Foot Forward: Left

Calipers

Hey guys, I have always just used my friends caliper at home but since I am not going home this summer and I am living across the state I need to buy my own caliper to take fin measurements. Few questions:

1) Any advantage or disadvantage over digital and analog besides the obvious ease of use?
2) I am guessing I will need an 8in or 12in but would a smaller one work?
3) Best place to buy?

Thanks!

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#2 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 11:25 PM

skidream
Skis At: Madison, Still Farm

Re: Calipers

I just get the digital one at harbor freight! It works great for me and when it fails or breaks I just buy a new one! I think they are like $30-40.  The more expensive ones are like $150-200 and in my opinion are not worth it! You will need to get the 12" one. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d … mber=47261

Warming up!!!

Ski Hard or Go Home!!

#3 Fri, Feb 26, 2010 2:42 AM

Thomas Wayne

I like the analog calipers because they are much more wet friendly and there's no battery to go dead when you most want to use it.  I use nothing but digital in my shop, but analog for the lake.  8-inch is plenty big enough and most machinist supply houses have them for around $30 - $40.

TW

#4 Fri, Feb 26, 2010 5:04 AM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

My next caliper will be this one. http://www.slotcaliper.com

Scot Chipman

#5 Fri, Feb 26, 2010 7:49 PM

Andrew1988

125 is a bit out of my price range. I used ditigal ones in high school and college but I see the advantage about analog at the lake. Any good websites for analog ones?

#6 Fri, Feb 26, 2010 8:18 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Try McMaster Carr, Grainger, D&D Tool, MSCDIRECT.COM. I've seen them at one of those locations very reasonably priced. Just can't remember which place. It was a couple months back one of these places had them on sale. Should be able to find them reasonable.

#7 Fri, Feb 26, 2010 10:58 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

As posted above, Harbor Freight also has very inexpensive 8" analog (Dial) calipers... $25.00+/-

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Sat, Feb 27, 2010 12:46 AM

tshneide7
Skis At: Midwest

#9 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 12:15 AM

PatM
Skis At: South central Mass.

I use to spend an hour or 2 trying to get a good reading on the distance from the back of the fin to the tail of the ski.  I bought the slotcaliper and it took me ten minutes to get a consistant measurement I was confident in.  If you can spare the change it is well worth the cost.

#10 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 1:15 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Check out www.ezfintool.com

Simplicity rocks, and keeps costs down.

Last edited by HO410 (Fri, Mar 19, 2010 1:17 AM)

#11 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 5:43 PM

PatM
Skis At: South central Mass.

Well...  that would have saved me some money and time.   Damn

#12 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 4:48 PM

Andrew1988

http://www.h2oproshop.com/finamajig-sla … -tool.html That was reviewed in the latest Waterski Mag. Kinda pricey but does look like it is worth it and will save tonnnnsssss of time.

Board footer