Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Feb 24, 2010 7:07 PM

ScaredofCorbets

Line Tension Opinions

I know there are many factors that affect line tension, including skier weight.  An 115lb skier will have less tension than a 220lb skier due to inertia, force to accelerate the skier to the same speed, etc.  In general, I've tried to ski with a light line throughout, without too much load variation.  The obvious phase on the course that generates most line tension for me is at the work zone. 

I'm mostly interested in relative line tension from pre-turn to completion.  So for sake of discussion, what is the line tension (guessing at lbs of line tension) at different phases on the course for a 5' 9" 150lb skier?  For example, I'm guessing that the line tension at the peak of my work zone is 250lb.

pullout
glide for some skiers
turn into gate
thru the gate
pre-transition (edge change) to buoy
transition
turn initiation
turn apex
turn completion
'hookup'
behind the boat workzone
pre-transition, repeat...

#2 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 1:08 AM

t8skier
Skis At: Collierville Ski Club, Tn
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Line Tension Opinions

I have a load meter attached to the line.  I can only give a number that I was tracking. My weight is 175, height 5' 10''.  My max load @ 35 off behind the boat was 480 lbs.

#3 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 2:31 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

A load meter that is totally cool, where did you get it and how much did it cost?  maybe that could be a new event max load pull.

#4 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 3:39 AM

Thomas Wayne

The West Coast Advanced Slalom dvd has an entire section devoted to studying rope loads throughout a run for both Terry Winter and Marcus Brown.

TW

#5 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 7:43 PM

t8skier
Skis At: Collierville Ski Club, Tn
Foot Forward: Right

Here is the link to the system I use.  You will also need a load cell about 1000lbs.  Make this the lenght 1'6'' and remove the 39 1/2 loop.
http://www.virtualmc.com/products_vc210.htm#

Board footer