Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 7:33 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Neck brace option for jumpers

I was saddened to hear about Kyle Eade and my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family (http://www.skishotz.co.nz/). 

After reading the story and thinking about it, I'm curious as to what option jumpers have for neck braces.  I've never been off a ramp.  Although it looks fun, it seems to be an even more exclusive sport than slalom skiing.  However, for those that do participate in this event and are familiar with it, I'm wondering if you can tell me if anyone has ever developed an effective neck brace for that discipline? 

In the last couple of years, a pretty cool neck brace was developed for the motocross world, called the Leatt Brace (http://www.leatt-brace.com/).  Other manufacturers have followed suit, but Leatt was first to market and seems to be doing very well, since I see more and more riders using this brace.  Eventhough it is an expensive product ($285 for the cheapest version) I broke down and purchased a couple for me and my son a few months ago. After wearing it, it seems to me that it could be used for jumping...or maybe a modified version.  Again, I've never jumped so I don't know but I'm just curious to know the history of these types of options on the jumping scene and if anyone thinks that would be a viable option.

Travis Ogden

#2 Thu, Feb 18, 2010 9:49 PM

rq0013
Skis At: 2@-35, 36 mph pb
Foot Forward: LFF

Re: Neck brace option for jumpers

Yeah I was thinking about telling fellow skier and jumpers about the leatt brace, we use it in snowmobile racing and it has saved many injuries.

#3 Fri, Feb 19, 2010 12:52 AM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

it's a pretty cool device.  Seems like it would work well with jumpers and not restrict any of the normal movement.

Travis Ogden

#4 Wed, Feb 24, 2010 6:48 PM

Morg

I recently got a Leette brace for Karting.

Really nice product. I also race boats where neck injuries are unfortunately fairly common. I had considered wearing the brace, but was worried about it catching & grabbing water & potentially making the injury worse. Current boat goes in the 130 mph range.

Essentially I am wondering if anyone has had the brace on & hit the water?

Board footer